Naming Compounds (1 Viewer)

tristambrown

HSC
*shrug* different naming convention to what we are taught to use ???

I always thought we had to name following alphabetical order and orienting the strarting position to whatever gave the lowest number to start with ....

i would have called it 1,1-dichloro,2,2,2-trifluroethane

dral

HSC
i don't beleive they take away marks for naming it the other way around, as long as you could redraw the molecule correctly from the name given :\ it's the same thing if you turn it upside down or revolve it.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
... there is a rule about determining which side to start numbering the branches. The rule is number from the side that gives the smallest numbers.

So in your example, 1,1-dichloro,2,2,2-trifluroethane, the numbers add up to 8 (1+1+2+2+2 = 8) but in 2,2-dichloro-1,1,1-trifluroethane, the numbers add up to 7 (2+2+1+1+1 = 7). Therefore 2,2-dichloro-1,1,1-trifluroethane gives smaller numbers and hence the correct name.

phil2010

HSC
N/A
Riviet said:
... there is a rule about determining which side to start numbering the branches. The rule is number from the side that gives the smallest numbers.
True - but take care. It's NOT the sum of the numbers.

We have two possible set of numbers
1 1 1 2 2 OR
1 1 2 2 2
......^
NOTE - the third column. Here we see that '1' is less than '2' so the numbering is ROW one

so we have (in alpha order)

2,2-dichloro-1,1,1-trifluroethane

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)