Nabbed!!! (1 Viewer)

bboundy

HSC
Don't plagiarise!
Me and a friend found this out the hard way and it was an honest mistake.
For a recent assesment task, we had to make a poster of a web page about a Wilfred Owen poem. We chose "Dulce et decorum est". Because my friend was a better writer than me, I did the visuals and he did the text. He gave me an essay he'd written and I promptly pasted it onto our poster and handed it in.

3 days later...
Everyone gets the results from their assesment back, except us. We get called out of class and told that the essay was a direct copy of one on the web. He gets this really confused look on his face and is adament that he wrote the one on the poster. The teacher whips out his laptop and shows us that the text is indeed, a copy from here. We go back inside properly humiliated and wondering what to do. The teacher says he'll think about giving us 0, and to see him the next day.

30 mins later...
My friend suddenly sits bolt upright in class. He then explained to me how the essay had gotten there. He just realised that he saved the one he gave to me as a reference, then wrote his own. Stupidly, he called the files almost the same thing, and put them in the same folder. He then gave the copy to me and I handed it in, unaware of what he did.
Bugger.

Punchline is, I get 4 out of 20, and he gets 6 because he did a better evaluation of the poster than I did.

I wrote this out to illustrate to people how a simple mistake can have big consequences. DONT PLAGIARISE! And make sure to proofread everything.

emca

HSC
bummer story

teacher was on you like glad wrap underwear. I'm doing Wilfred Owen next term and gotta do a vis-rep. I hate them - I hate art and I wish I was blind so I'd have an excuse to avoid the whole thing. But, is there any chance you could write out the instructions you were given for the task. The way I see it mine is gonna be heaps simmilar so if i get a copy of the task from somewhere else I can kinda get sorted on doing it during the hols. Sounds like you had to write an essay on the vis thing you made. That sounds better than just making a poster and handing it in. My teacher keeps telling us that a visual rep is another way of communicating rather than just writing or speaking but I just don't get how that is English. I'm cool with looking at images and talking about them but I reckon I failed colouring in at primary school so I'm pretty screwed and I need a good mark in English so if you can give me a look at your task it means I'll have more than 2 weeks to get my head around it.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
English is definitely one subject where creativity is essential, which makes plaigarism an intolerable sin.
My English teacher browses boredofstudies.org, I do admit using quotes and analysis from others, but I don't replicate whole paragraphs or large sentences so I manipulate them, thanks to a Thesaurus.
My previous IPT teacher Googles words and sentences in our presentation.

Obviously teachers employ different techniques to sniff out plaigarism.

OWNED.

bboundy

HSC
emca said:
But, is there any chance you could write out the instructions you were given for the task. The way I see it mine is gonna be heaps simmilar so if i get a copy of the task from somewhere else I can kinda get sorted on doing it during the hols.
We had to do a poster representing a website discussing a poem. The best mark was a kid who did one up like a forum and had people discussing the poem's techniques.

f3nr15 said:
lol. pretty much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)