My school sucks so much that it won't even have a music class for HSC T_T (1 Viewer)

cherii2007

HSC
First post! First post!

I'm so furious. Maybe I am overreacting a little bit, but music the only subject I REALLY really looked forward to doing for the HSC. When I first got the subject selection forms...it was the first subject I looked for. It's the only subject I REALLY look forward to doing during the week.

I found out today that there weren't enough people in our year choosing it. I saw the Year 11 music class this year, and theirs is even bigger than our Year 10 class. Our grade is lame... Life stinks. We went to talk to the teacher who would be teaching us music and she said she was fine with teaching our class. I just don't understand why they won't even consider it if the teacher who would be affected by all this, is okay with it.

Anyway, I was planning on studying music for university. That's why I'm so devastated that they won't allow us to do the course. Okay...there were five people who chose it. I know more people who would've wanted to do the course had it been in another line (at least 2-3 people), which is really annoying.

So I'm just wondering...is there ANYONE out there who has had their music class cut, or they weren't allowed to do music for some reason? I want to know (if all hope is lost...there's still a tiny chance that we can have after-school lessons, and even then, it probably won't go towards HSC) what my options are...

It's my first time thinking that I'd be better off changing schools. && If you're going on to Year 11 and you're having a music class, tell me what school you go to. xD

Last edited:

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
Suck it up.

Same thing happened to my prized subject (not music), so now I do it by distant education... wonder if you could do the same thing with music...

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: My school sucks so much that it won't even have a music class for HSC T_T

What's with the 10'ers whinging so much lately?

HSC
There is only one year eleven student doing music this year at my school and she is in a class with the only two year twelve students who are doing it. Couldn't you see if the school could organise something similar between you and this year's year eleven class?

melissa92

HSC
Uni Grad
Well Tommykins..we are not able to do subjects that we REALLY want to do..well..i cant do fricken Physics..me and my friend (we were the only 2 who picked Physics) might do Distance Education for Physics as well..

melissa92

HSC
Uni Grad
Exphate said:
Here's how it works.

Classes cost MONEY.

If there aren't enough STUDENTS doing a SUBJECT it is not FINANCIALLY VIABLE for the subject to be run. If you are so damn cut about it, do it by Distance Ed, and get your Muso @ School to help you out (if they are willing to oblige).

Other subjects don't get run. Did you know there are like 40 different languages offered in the HSC? Bet you didn't.
I knew there is like 40 languages offered in the HSC..but still..whats so bad about Distance Education?

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
There is only one year eleven student doing music this year at my school and she is in a class with the only two year twelve students who are doing it. Couldn't you see if the school could organise something similar between you and this year's year eleven class?
Yeah, to the OP - see if you can sit in on Year12 classes. This happens at my school where one girl has so be in the Year12 Legal Studies class to complete her subject.

@Melissa92: honey, distant ed is a pain in the arse. no matter how easy the subject is, if you fall behind then you really fall behind. you have to be seriously motivated to do the work.

becibu

HSC
cherii2007 said:
First post! First post!

I'm so furious. Maybe I am overreacting a little bit, but music the only subject I REALLY really looked forward to doing for the HSC. When I first got the subject selection forms...it was the first subject I looked for. It's the only subject I REALLY look forward to doing during the week.

I found out today that there weren't enough people in our year choosing it. I saw the Year 11 music class this year, and theirs is even bigger than our Year 10 class. Our grade is lame... Life stinks. We went to talk to the teacher who would be teaching us music and she said she was fine with teaching our class. I just don't understand why they won't even consider it if the teacher who would be affected by all this, is okay with it.

Anyway, I was planning on studying music for university. That's why I'm so devastated that they won't allow us to do the course. Okay...there were five people who chose it. I know more people who would've wanted to do the course had it been in another line (at least 2-3 people), which is really annoying.

So I'm just wondering...is there ANYONE out there who has had their music class cut, or they weren't allowed to do music for some reason? I want to know (if all hope is lost...there's still a tiny chance that we can have after-school lessons, and even then, it probably won't go towards HSC) what my options are...

It's my first time thinking that I'd be better off changing schools. && If you're going on to Year 11 and you're having a music class, tell me what school you go to. xD
My music class only has 9 people in it ... ext english only has 5 ... and there is one class with three students ... you have teachers you have students ... numbers don't matter ... get your parents involved often that is a very strong force.

insomniac90

7/9/08
HSC
cherii2007 said:
First post! First post!

hey its better that this happened then what happened to me.
our class only had enough to go ahead, then more and more people dropped out till we only had 9 people left. and those nine didnt really care for music at all. eventually the teachers gave up on them, so, we didnt even have a teacher for the last term. imagine how that affected our grades, without a teacher we had no direction, no idea even how our trials were going to work.

now thats truly pathetic. so just be thankful, becuase the chances are, there definately will be people who drop out, and then you'll end up in a situation like me, so suck it up and do it outside of school. ie, tafe.

studentcheese

HSC
Well my school doesn't offer music next year either. There were only about 20 people who chose it but the school wanted more. I'm fine with that :)

I suggest you change schools. I know that Fort Street and Macquarie Fields High are offering music next year.

I don't know about any non selective schools offering music.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Could you either arrange to be with the Year 11 class, or with a Year 10 music class at a nearby school?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
melissa92 said:
Well Tommykins..we are not able to do subjects that we REALLY want to do..well..i cant do fricken Physics..me and my friend (we were the only 2 who picked Physics) might do Distance Education for Physics as well..
Pfffft.
'sif almost everyone else hasn't been through that at some point.
I wasn't able to do ext english as it was on the same line as a 2U subject which I had more passion for, I got over it and didn't whinge about it to people I didn't know over the internet.

If you still have an issue, change schools. Otherwise quit the whinging... this is to all 10ers, not just the OP and melissa92.

sparkerasp

HSC
cherii2007 said:
I found out today that there weren't enough people in our year choosing it.
Weren't enough people, that's rubbish to not continue a course (unless the teacher can't do it). The teacher teaching it should have the last say. I'm the only person in my school doing music 2 (wanted to do music extension, but had to do it via Distant Education and I just wasn't comfortable with it).

Appeal if you want to the headmaster or someone of high authority if you haven't already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)