my Qs. x] thx to anyone who helped. =] (1 Viewer)

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
Q1. One significant part of growth in investment is the increasing number of mergers and takeovers. (which i understood to b companies combined to form biggers ones or got "eaten" by bigger ones).
I dont know how is the increasing number of those companies is affectin the growth of FDI? (foreign direct investment)

P.s. those companies meaning companies increased in value and decreased number of global companies in the market.

thx

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Well if a firm merges or takes over another, then it's going to investment into it to make it stronger (ie. capital will flow into it too boost profit or something) thus increasing FDI overall.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
oh wow
so if companies merges, it increased the amount of investment into the company, thus increased FDI?

how straight forward. thx. x]

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
mitsui said:
Q1. One significant part of growth in investment is the increasing number of mergers and takeovers. (which i understood to b companies combined to form biggers ones or got "eaten" by bigger ones).
I dont know how is the increasing number of those companies is affectin the growth of FDI? (foreign direct investment)

P.s. those companies meaning companies increased in value and decreased number of global companies in the market.

thx
Lets start by getting correct definitions of both "mergers" and "takeovers". While they are quintessentially the same thing, A merger refers to two companies joining together to form one single entity. A Takeover is similar but it directly refers to an entity (can be individual or company) buying a majority shareholding in a business so they have a controlling stake. They are like mergers, but dont involve the formation of a new company.

In terms of increasing FDI, my understanding of it is that it can occur in the following ways:

- When a company decides to takeover a foreign company, this in itself is an example of FDI by definition (investment in an overseas firm by the purchase of the target company's equity (shares). The growth of FDI here is directly connected to the reasons for increased investment by companies in oveseas companies. For example many western businesses are interested in buying controlling interests (takeovers) in chinese companies to take advantage of their booming economy and increasing market wealth.

-Also mergers and other aquisitions can enourage increased investment and FDI as a larger, more competitve and efficent entity has a greater level of resources and capital to invest. Their ability to expand and invest is signifcantly improved by combining resources.

- A merger will additionally make the new company more lucrative for investors to invest in (its more competitive, has higher profits, combined market share and generally more efficent and stable etc etc)

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
ok ... o.o
my understanding is that
mergers and takeovers increase FDI by increase in company's value, thus more investment has went into the companies, and more FDI??

in mergers, the companies generally become better so attracted more FDI
in takeovers, esp. when a global company takeover domestic ones, it puts in FDI into the country by investing (buying the company)

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
my understanding is that
mergers and takeovers increase FDI by increase in company's value, thus more investment has went into the companies, and more FDI??
FDI is Foreign Direct Investment, so to increase it you have to have money coming in from overseas. Mergers and takeovers that happen across countries will increase FDI flows. If an American company buys an Australian one, for example, they will pay the shareholders/owners of that Australian company - since the money is used for investment in a business, it's an FDI flow from America. That's my take on it, anyway.

I_F

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
mitsui said:
Yub... as in direct purchasing of companies?
=]
As above:
- When a company decides to takeover a foreign company, this in itself is an example of FDI by definition (investment in an overseas firm by the purchase of the target company's equity (shares)

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
ok thx.

will post further Qs when i encounter them. =]
thx guys

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
thot to save the numbers of threads. haha

wat is the diff btween economic development, and economic growth?

my understanding is that development looks at more of the HDI, and quality of life while growth mainly talks about the actual figures like GDP, trade etc.?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
mitsui said:
thot to save the numbers of threads. haha

wat is the diff btween economic development, and economic growth?

my understanding is that development looks at more of the HDI, and quality of life while growth mainly talks about the actual figures like GDP, trade etc.?

Have a read of this thread : http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=98361

Bascially yes you are right.

P.S dont be afraid to make new threads =)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)