My King Lear essay (Shocking? Needs help) (1 Viewer)

Smoke

Here it is...any ideas, suggestions, ?

King Lear, since its writing almost 350 years ago, has been interpreted and performed in thousands of different ways, each year giving rise to new interpretations, productions and values in context with these.

Feminists believe in the power and equal rights of women to men, challenging the traditional power of men as patriarchal rulers and beliefs and practices that result in the oppression and subordination of women. Where the play has been received as both anti and pro feminist, the latter has been more widespread in productions and other pieces of literature. Linda Bamber, Author of “comic women, tragic men, a study of gender and genre in Shakespeare”, puts forward such an interpretation of the play in her 1982 paper – written for her PhD, during the final years of the feminist movement, where radical feminism was only taken up by university students.

She recognised the misogyny of both Lear and Shakespeare, in that the women are only ever seen in response or reaction to the men around them. That they are stripped of their rights, and introduced as being designed by sexuality, to be wives, mothers, mistresses, property, prostitute and sport. There is evidence for this throughout the play, but we shall focus on the first act. In Gloucester’s account of Edmond’s conception, he refers to women he has slept with as virtual conquests, line 23 - ‘yet his mother was fair, there was good sport at his making’ and tells of their illegitimacy in line 14‘ where upon she... a son for her cradle ere she had a husband for her bed do you smell a fault?’ and labels them whore in labelling Edmond as a ‘whoreson’ in line 24.

Gonerill and Regan, even in satisfying the femineity and obedience required by Lear in their statements of love for him, in line 53,‘which of you shall we say doth love us most that we our largest bounty may extend’, are still smart tactile women, realising their father’s arrogant ego and poor judgment. Their flattery would interpret as a necessity to gain any position in the patriarch society.

Another possible interpretation of King Lear is of a Marxist nature. Marxism was a theory established by Karl Marx, who predicted the revolutionary overthrow of capitalism by the lower classes and the eventual attainment of a classless communist society. One such person with this interpretation was Grigori Kozintsev. Produced in 1969, it was a time of political revolution for Russia and Kozintsev was moved to include such elements in his production.

He saw the play’s end as the beginning of the end of the feudal and monarchist social structure. He saw the divine right of the king’s heirs superseded by division of equal rule and the death of the royal family as such. He also puts emphasis on the oppression of the masses, in act 3 scene 7, a servant protests the mistreatment of Gloucester, “Hold you hand, my lord. I have served you since I was a child, better service have I never done you than now to bid you hold” and in her oppression of the servant, Regan yells “How now, you dog!” her degenerating words showing her disgust and horror at the servant breaking class and speaking against Cornwall’s actions. His production opens with Lear presented as a god-like monarch, ruling over kneeling peasants whose heads are bowed down in submission. Leer dies amongst the peasants and lower nobles, paving the way for the further dismantle of the feudal structure as the lower nobles set out in an attempt to rule England, conveying the message of Marxism that feudal and monarchist social structures eventually fall, giving rise to the rule of the masses.

Richard Ayre’s production of King Lear is one of many for the screen and stage and Ayre’s directing portrayed King Lear as a family drama, evident in the props, interpretation of lines and story. In act 1 scene 1, we are presented with Lear’s extended family sitting at a large table, with Lear at one head and Cordelia at the other, symbolising his authority as head of the family and favouritism of Cordelia. This unconsciously provokes a modern audience to relate this image to their own lives and observe the family aspects of the play. The strong emotions invoked in Lear at his disgust in Kent’s challenge and Cordelia’s refusal are better conveyed to viewers in the camera techniques used, with close-ups on Lear’s face. Where emotions run high, the same affect features for other characters, especially Gonerill and Regan. Sibling rivalry is shown in the subplot of Edgar and Edmond, in his jealousy of not being the heir to his father’s wealth, act 1 scene 2 – “‘A brother noble.... on whose foolish honesty my practices ride easy. Let me, if not by birth, have lands by wit.” And also between Regan and Gonerill, as each fights over Edmund in act 4 scene 5 “Edmund and I have talk’d, and more convenient is he for my hand than for your lady’s”. A parent’s undying love for their children is also shown by Gloucester, in act 4 scene 6, “If Edgar lives, bless him”.

The values presented in this production are what the viewer interprets them as. Cynics would hold the belief that the production puts forth a warning to viewers about the fragility of family relationships and the negative, materialistic motives that are an undeniable human feature that leads to trouble within families. Optimists on the other hand, would see the production as both a celebration of a parent’s undying love for their children, as Lear expressed in his final hours, and also a warning on the value of keeping sound & healthy relationships within the family.

In the writing a text or direction of a production, elements of the personality and social background of the writers and directors will always be found in their work and as you compare a text & its interpretations and productions over a time period, there are often notable differences in line with the state of the society and culture it was produced in.

serge

HSC
king lear was first performed in 1606...
so instead of saying 350 years write nearly 400

I would change your feminist paragraph...
Shakespeare didnt "strip" women of their rights...
In his context, women didnt have any rights...
its a contextual dilemma, its not like Shakespeare
was the only one with those views back then

Last edited:

serge

HSC
Smoke said:
Produced in 1969, it was a time of political revolution for Russia and Kozintsev was moved to include such elements in his production.
the movie was produced made in 1969
but the movie is set in the russian revolution of 1917

There was no political revolution in 1969 in Russia

(even if that sentence was correct its very vague)

Richard Eyre, not Ayre

Last edited:

serge

HSC
You dont have a thesis about textual integrity,
you havent properly mentioned "reception over time"
and parts of your essay border on history, not english
You need to have your own ideas about the play

but what you have addressed productions and readings
is pretty good

Smoke

serge said:
You dont have a thesis about textual integrity,
What do you mean by this?

serge said:
you havent properly mentioned "reception over time"
Ill go and work on that now, should be easy

serge said:
and parts of your essay border on history, not english
Can you please point out which parts? I dont want this as it takes up space and is useless to have

Haku

i agree to the fact that this essay is half history, ie: 1st and 2nd paragraph. also beginning half of every paragraph.
the marker do not care when shakespeare is writen so don;t bother.

also u should have connections between paragraphs. intro make longer.
the support for ur argument is not strong and there is no analysis of the play or production, merely telling the story or describing the production with no link.

what is the question for this essay anywayz?

Smoke

*sigh*...this essay is junk :(

Its about how interpretations of a text change over time and i have to talk about this

Haku

lol if that was the question than this is complete junk.

maybe u should read the sparknotes KL analysis and plot, as there is no time actually read the whole book

Haku

where did u come up with that?

textual integrity is where a production stays true to the original text. ie richard eyre, peter brooke....all those stay true as the language is unaltered.

what u are saying is something like "kyoto protocol is where it tries to make countries plant trees" :rofl:

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Hmm, well its not exactly full of junk, rather its a mixture of information. ^^ Also Smoke, since the HSC is coming near, I would suggest you to rather focus upon the context you'll be using, the King Lear Interpretations/Performances or even so using both in order to score you a band 5-6 essay, unless of course you plan to memorise this essay.

But to my knowledge many of my friends who actually tried memorising an essay for the HSC were completely shattered when the question wasn't exactly linked to their prepared response. If you had time, then you could try practicing an essay, otherwise I would highly recommend that you remember the links, techniques, etc, and build your essay on the spot, but try constructing the body paragraphs if you are keen on memorising [That's how I'm doing it for the HSC]

In order to finetune your essay, first things first:

1. If possible, provide the full essay question. Is it a discuss/outline/analyse [Know the keywords]?

2. Perhaps the biggest improvement needed, is to answer the question, in each of your body paragraphs, you may also want to create a more unique introduction [which once again must directly address the question, repeating its key words if needed]

3. For the construction of any essay, structure, structure, structure xD, you must put your essay into suitable stages/structures, so e.g. 1st body paragraph could focus on King Lear context alone, then the second one could begin with a sharp compare/contrast with a King Lear performance and the play itself, and thereafter for the third paragraph as well. Concluding with a strongly developed conclusion, for that's the last paragraph in your essay in order to force the examiner to throw marks at you.

6. Last but not the least, remember that each body paragraph MUST incorporate the S.E.X.Y device.

SmileyCam

HSC
nosadness said:
where did u come up with that?

textual integrity is where a production stays true to the original text. ie richard eyre, peter brooke....all those stay true as the language is unaltered.

what u are saying is something like "kyoto protocol is where it tries to make countries plant trees" :rofl:
Well, actually that's not completely true either

Textual integrity is when a text's messages are relevent to the audience no matter when or where they are, basically its messages are universal. Even if the text is slightly altered (eg. the Brook production changed it heaps).

of course that's not the be all and end all, I might be completely wrong, but that's my understanding. And there's always been a debate about what it actually means. there's a thread somewhere in the section about it

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
serge said:
the movie was produced made in 1969
but the movie is set in the russian revolution of 1917

There was no political revolution in 1969 in Russia

(even if that sentence was correct its very vague)

Richard Eyre, not Ayre
actually, this is untrue. yes, the russian revolution was in 1917 HOWEVER it a case similiar to the French Revolution --> most people only know about the first one. There was great political unrest and uprisings circa 1969.
that said, the point is that, correct though it is, unfortunately it's not actually all that relevant.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
1. your first sentence is awkward. Try starting with “Since…ago, King Lear…”
2. avoid being vague – so don’t use words like ‘almost’
3. too much background on feminism * you aren’t writing a 2000 word essay where you can avoid to take plenty of time to intoduce topics. Use techniques to reveal how a feminist reading is revealed in a particular production
4. it’s a bone of contention among academics whether words like “misogyny” or phrases like “stripped of their rights” should be used to discuss Shakespeare and general Jacobean context * it’s anachronistic to use these words as you’re using modern values to judge a society bereft of those values. You could use these terms if you were discussing a modern play that conformed to an Aristotelian reading
5. “but we shall focus on the first act.” Keep a formal, third person tone throughout
6. In Gloucester’s account of Edmond’s conception, he refers to women he has slept with as virtual conquests, line 23 - ‘yet his mother was fair, there was good sport at his making’ and tells of their illegitimacy in line 14‘ where upon she... a son for her cradle ere she had a husband for her bed do you smell a fault?’ and labels them whore in labelling Edmond as a ‘whoreson’ in line 24. * you’ve misinterpreted this section. Whilst there isn’t anything technically wrong with what you said, it is not the prime significance of this section of text and you shouldn’t represent it as if it is.
7. Your discussion of Goneril and Reagan in the division of the kingdom scene is slightly confusing. Are you talking about this from an Aristotelian perspective (ie conforming to the original text)? If so, you have misunderstood * Shakespeare’s aim was not to show them as ‘smart’ per se, but to set up the play to reveal the chaos that ensues when cunning, devious women are given positions of authority. This is not pro-feminist
8. “Another possible interpretation of King Lear is of a Marxist nature” * again, this is very awkward. Either you can or you can’t interpret Lear as Marxist. It either conforms to the essential doctrine of Karl Marx’s philosophies or it doesn’t. So either leave it out if you are unsure or be definite, it can’t be “of a nature”
9. “Marxism was a theory established by Karl Marx…” don’t treat the marker as an idiot * they know what Marxism is. Only go into philosophy if it is strictly relevant to explain the significance of a particular technique
10. as someone may have already pointed out, it’s Eyre, not Ayre. It’s essential to get this type of information correct
11. “The values presented in this production are what the viewer interprets them as. Cynics would hold the belief that …Optimists on the other hand, would see the production as both a celebration of a parent’s undying love for their children, as Lear expressed in his final hours, and also a warning on the value of keeping sound & healthy relationships within the family.” * once again be decisive. Take a position – are you writing an essay or writing an article overviewing the different productions that have occurred? What do you think it is?
12. your conclusion reveals the problem in your essay (despite what others may say, there really is only one): you haven’t got a thesis. This is not really an essay: it’s more of an overview of what productions show what themes in essay format like you’d find in an art & history magazine. You need to put more of YOU in your writing * the purpose of this module isn’t to say what readings can be seen in various productions of Lear and what their historical background is, it’s for you to make an argument based on King Lear (such as whether or not it’s relevance is undiminished through time) and to use different productions and the original text to provide evidence for your argument. You also need a lot more direct technical evidence in this piece. You tend to make broad generalisations, just mentioning ‘costuming’ or ‘props’ without going into specifics. Likewise you say ‘this prompts ---- in the audience but don’t actually go into why or how. Both are akin to name-dropping in historical essays and just as frowned upon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)