My first Ext. History lesson starts on Monday...I need wise advice! (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hello fellow extension history takers. I am very excited to begin but I of course am also a little nervous. I have 3 major works in total I will be working on, including for this course so i want to know if firstly there are any strategies you guys use that have really really helped you with managing the workload, or coursework in general. That and the other two subjects i take are quite content heavy...Chemistry and Modern History. I love them! Of course, but i will not lie to you they can be a little heavy sometimes.

ADHD is a curse too... I'm getting better! But procrastination likes to reer its slimy head sometimes.

Next! How is the course? What are some things I should know and prepare to face before it all starts up?

Thank you! And good luck for any year 12 2023 HSC takers here :)

souli

HSC
Hii! I think I've finally found the only other person that's doing 3u history for 2024 on BOS lol..

I've had my first few lessons for ext, and I'll tell you it's super different from Modern (which I also do!). It's not hard to keep on top of content, we've started learning about historians of the past and what their aims, methods of recording history were, their context, and problems/good things about their methods of recording history. I wouldn't stress too much about the major work yet, there's not a lot you can do to prepare in advance, before actually starting the course other than brainstorm about your major work (after all, you discuss with your teacher about the major work). Have you got any ideas on what you're going to do yet?

HSC
Hii! I think I've finally found the only other person that's doing 3u history for 2024 on BOS lol..

I've had my first few lessons for ext, and I'll tell you it's super different from Modern (which I also do!). It's not hard to keep on top of content, we've started learning about historians of the past and what their aims, methods of recording history were, their context, and problems/good things about their methods of recording history. I wouldn't stress too much about the major work yet, there's not a lot you can do to prepare in advance, before actually starting the course other than brainstorm about your major work (after all, you discuss with your teacher about the major work). Have you got any ideas on what you're going to do yet?
I do have some ideas yes! Im either thinking of looking into the tie between philosophy and history, OR something to do with the medieval era. Because i am very biased i love medieval history. I may also look into history tied into the arts..such as through music or painting. Or the development of mathematics, since that is also a topic i am very into.

Or something really brutal but morbidly facinating, like various wacky torture devices throughout the ages.

he1nl

HSC
I do have some ideas yes! Im either thinking of looking into the tie between philosophy and history, OR something to do with the medieval era. Because i am very biased i love medieval history. I may also look into history tied into the arts..such as through music or painting. Or the development of mathematics, since that is also a topic i am very into.

Or something really brutal but morbidly facinating, like various wacky torture devices throughout the ages.
i dropped history extension yesterday, but wow! seems like great topics tbh, i planned to do something in the area of the last one (like the changing representations of the Aztecs or something?)

good luck with honing in your topic!!! :)

HSC
i dropped history extension yesterday, but wow! seems like great topics tbh, i planned to do something in the area of the last one (like the changing representations of the Aztecs or something?)

good luck with honing in your topic!!! :)
Thank you man!! Good luck to you to:tongue:

he1nl

HSC
i think if i were to continue history extension, i'd definitely choose something i am genuinely interested in and would be willing to allocate some of my free time on (that way my motivation wouldn't drop throughout the course)! i think brainstorming + planning + lots of drafting/editing is very crucial throughout the year for major work, and definitely ask for advice from your teachers + peers!! they're great for setting you on the right track, and my teachers were willing to discuss and hone in on my interests! :)

tips for studying in general that have helped me significantly (i have a pretty low attention span as well i think!) is lots of visual and fun diagrams (especially for large concepts), setting a 5 minute timer on a task i don't really enjoy (and if it's over i can choose to stop, but normally i keep going because i think the hard part is starting things for me!), having a planner which i can tick off tasks... very satisfying for me! also sometime in the week i normally review a little of each subject, like testing myself on things out loud or writing it down

HSC
ps i like radiohead too! :angel: although i'm more of a deftones listener..
YOOOOO!! Hell yeah!! Im the opposite to you, i really love radiohead...gosh, i think its been a special interest for like four years now. But i dont listen to as much deftones, i have heard of them and really appreciate what they do but at this stage im not a regular listener. Hope i get to listening to them more eventually!

he1nl

HSC
YOOOOO!! Hell yeah!! Im the opposite to you, i really love radiohead...gosh, i think its been a special interest for like four years now. But i dont listen to as much deftones, i have heard of them and really appreciate what they do but at this stage im not a regular listener. Hope i get to listening to them more eventually!
oh awesome! do you have a favourite song/album from them?

and yeah i get what you mean by that, i think i feel the same with radiohead, they're great when i'm feeling pretty down! also we should move this conversation to somewhere else i think..

HSC
oh awesome! do you have a favourite song/album from them?

and yeah i get what you mean by that, i think i feel the same with radiohead, they're great when i'm feeling pretty down! also we should move this conversation to somewhere else i think..
Ah yes yes good idea! I shall message you

kingpalindrome

HSC
i want to know if firstly there are any strategies you guys use that have really really helped you with managing the workload, or coursework in general.

Next! How is the course? What are some things I should know and prepare to face before it all starts up?
Having done EE2 and HisX I will reiterate what you've probably already been told: major works will take a lot longer and be a lot different than you may have thought! That isn't to say they're not enjoyable (they are), just don't wait until you feel you're fully prepared to start writing - because once you start writing, you'll realise that your idea changes slightly. For HisX, I spent a good few months researching and only a few weeks actually writing. While I was really happy with my finished result (got 48/50), I feel that if I had started earlier on my major work I would have been able to refine it further.

Also, considering the HisX MW only counts towards internals, in terms of major works it may be prudent to spend more time focusing on EE2 and VA, as they contribute to your final mark. I didn't do VA, but I kind of wish I had - talking to my friends, they used their MW as a bit of a break from their other studies. So while yes, it is another MW and a lot of work, try using it as a way to de-stress and use a different part of your brain.

As for what you should know for HisX: I loved it so much but I really wish I started making good notes early on! There is an astronomical amount of content, readings, and infinite theories you could/should know. It can end up feeling like a 4-unit subject boiled down into a 1-unit subject, so for the sake of your sanity, keep on top of your readings and do them before each class - you'll get so much more out of class discussions. Also, do a practice essay in the first term and submit it for feedback, so that you know the style of writing markers are looking for- it didn't fully click for me that I was supposed to analyse the historian's approaches, not the actual argument for/against my case study, until literally the week before the HSC.

Best of luck with everything! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)