My firm is being sued - Defences? (1 Viewer)

monzi

HSC
OK My firms getting sued due to one of my colleagues putting together a contract for the sale of Land with a missing Deposit Plan. Because he failed to include the DP inside the contract the purchaser's have rescinded the contract and now our clients are sueing us. HOWEVER, our client had taken out extra building work to the property, we received the building report this morning, and the job has turned out to be really crap and unsafe.

We also found out that the purchasers arn't rescinding because of the missing DP its because they bought the property at Auction without actually checking the property before they decided to purchase.

My boss has just come back from France, and is making me come up with a defence I'm getting blamed when I had nothing to do with it. I'm having trouble, so I would appreciate some help.

Thanks.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Re: My Firms Getting Sued And I Have To Come Up With A Defence!

This is about the time you quit.

Obviously, your firm is somewhat dodgy and below-the-table if they are asking a law student to deal with such litigation matters.

I honestly dont have any advice, but I'd be pretty stressed if I were you. Perhaps you could write your boss a letter, or have a discussion, raising your concerns? I dont know what your work enviornment is like (I'm guessing pretty awful and unprofessional), but I could comfortably discuss things like this with my boss... Not that he'd put me in this position in the first place.

Good luck :(

takehomecopy

HSC
N/A

monzi said:
My boss has just come back from France, and is making me come up with a defence I'm getting blamed when I had nothing to do with it. I'm having trouble, so I would appreciate some help.
Thanks.
Well thats rather unethical. Shit hits the fan *Blame the workexperience kid/youngest* run.

It's not your job to take the rap.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A

Yuck. I hate conveyancing.

Why they are lumping this on you to fix is rather bewildering though. How much, roughly, is the firm being sued for?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Conveyancing, rofl I remember it to be the most boring of the work, especially waiting on the various banks queues -__-"

But rofl @ situation, this sounds dodgy as hell, best to get out while you can.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Well I don't think we should all jump to conclusions and say how horrible the OP's firm is.

I don't think the partner is relying completely on the paralegal to come up with a defence as that would be ridiculous. It sounds more like a socratic form of instruction: 'What would you do? Come up with something for me to have a look at'..

But having said that, the firm does sound el dodge.

Last edited:

takehomecopy

HSC
N/A
'We expect our people to treat the client as if they were God and to put themselves out for clients. You don't say, 'Sorry, I can't do it, I'm playing cricket on the weekend' … You don't have a right to any free time."

haha. It's funny because now all the others firms seem to be pointed out how they do deliver work/life balance.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
takehomecopy said:
'We expect our people to treat the client as if they were God and to put themselves out for clients. You don't say, 'Sorry, I can't do it, I'm playing cricket on the weekend' … You don't have a right to any free time."

haha. It's funny because now all the others firms seem to be pointed out how they do deliver work/life balance.
Haha...here's what Allens say about "career"/life balance now on their website:

Much has been said about the career/life balance in all industries and, in many ways, law firms are no different. People do work hard at Allens Arthur Robinson and, as at any big law firm, there can be long working days. This reflects workload peaks and troughs, rather than a culture that says you have to be at your desk until late at night, every night. We look after our people, structuring work around them where we can, and aim to provide a range of social and sporting events, staff benefits and support.

It doesn't really say a lot..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)