My English Speech - Input Needed / Comments Welcome (1 Viewer)

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
Input / Comments Welcome regarding how I can improve this speech.

Task: "Evaluate how the composer develops a distinctive theme or idea through the narrative and film techniques, with close reference to at least one scene."
  • Present your analysis as a speech suitable for an HSC study day.
  • You should submit a copy of the complete text of your speech and be able to do your speech as an oral presentation.
  • You will be marked on the following criteria:
    • How well you demonstrate understanding of the text’s distinctive qualities and how these shape meaning;
    • How well you Organise, develop and express ideas using language appropriate to the audience, purpose and form;
    • How well you Demonstrate skills appropriate to an oral presentation;
In general, it is expected that your speech will be delivered from sight cards, perhaps using visual aids such as over head projector, white board, or hand-out to enhance your presentation.

• The text of your speech will be marked on the degree it demonstrates an understanding of the films distinctive qualities and how these shape meaning; you will be marked on how its overall organization of ideas is suitable for your audience and purpose.
    10 Marks

• The oral presentation will be marked on the skill shown to engage the audience.
    10 marks
1. Impromptu style welcome

Hello Everyone!

I’d like to welcome you to the University of Sydney, this HSC study session and congratulate each and one of you in taking those first, vital and positive steps in taking your HSC by the scruff of the neck and demanding the most of yourselves, so well done!

As much as you’re here for these study sessions, I’d like you to enjoy yourselves, have a look around campus and take it all in. hang out, have fun, ask questions and absorb uni life.

2. Brief introduction to the course

And so we begin with the film “Witness”.

Well to start off, many of you might ask yourself “why are our teachers asking us these, sometimes, silly questions about films.?”

I used to wonder, as I bet many of you have wondered in the past “why” we are looking at every single scene in meticulous detail. Typically my class used to go a little something like “but miss! You’re going into too much detail! How come we can’t just watch the movie?” I mean, these things happen randomly right?

Which begged the question: do composers REALLY care that much about how they write or shoot something? Did Peter Weir include all these little things intentionally?

Well the answer is yes and no. He probably didn’t think that his film would be deconstructed in class, he didn’t create his film with the intention of every little thing being scrutinized by year 12 English students. But what he did do was create his film with a purpose, a simple and noble purpose: to entertain.

Most of you would agree that it was an entertaining movie, right?

Q: Now how does he, or any other film maker make their films entertaining?

A: Through the use of techniques.

No he didn’t make his film to be broken down, no he didn’t include something deliberately so it could be used to form an HSC exam question. He used these things to entertain and tell a story. So that said, we CAN see how each of the things he does is deliberate, and answer ‘yes’ to aforementioned question.

Now we’ve established that he implements specific techniques for a specific purpose, we ask ourselves “why”. Why would he chose to associate lush green pastures with the Amish, and neon synthetic lighting of the English? Why do some scenes in Witness seem so free flowing and well shot, whilst others seem choppy and irregular?

Why?

The reason is to create meaning, develop themes and shape ideas. That’s the beauty, and defining facet of film. It is a work of literature, it is a piece of text, albeit a visual text that has the advantage of being able to express things; ideas, moods, emotions etc without a single word being said. Complicated and delicate issues such as hate, violence, racism and love can be conveyed by the subtle use of music, or a sudden change of scene.

For example Weir tells us a lot about the differences between the Amish and the English with camera direction alone. Abundant shots of blue sky above the Amish rural setting convey their own idyllic sense of tranquillity and happiness. Whilst the city is represented in early scenes by darkness and shadows: emphasizing the dangers of the synthetic and modern world.

3. Recap

So let’s recap:

We’ve come to agree that most of the time a composer, in this instance Peter Weir, will chose to director a scene in a particular way. We’ve also learnt that a composer creates work for a purpose. Weir filmed this movie to entertain western audiences.

We’ve established that composers must implement the use of techniques specific to their medium. Weir, whilst shooting a movie, has at his disposal the command of a camera, mis-en-scene, dialogue, music etc.

And finally we now understand the “WHY”. Why a composer does something in a particular way? To shape and create meaning.

Now let us take a look at a few examples of this in Weir’s film.

4. “Barn Dancing Scene” deconstructed in detail

In the “Barn Dancing scene", lighting, sound and symbolism are used to shape meaning and convey the romantic tension experienced between John and Rachel. These techniques are used to great effect. This scene is significant in understanding Book’s persona as it expresses his growing fondness for Rachel.

Lighting is used in this scene to depict the impossible nature of the relationship. The lighting in the scene is low key. This creates a romantic atmosphere and thus romantic tension between the two. The use of this level of lighting shows the audience that there is a degree of romance between the two, but the fact that nothing happens between sustains the romantic tension. The chief lighting in this scene comes from the headlights of Book’s car. Throughout Witness, Weir really does a good job at choosing lighting.

In the film artificial lighting has always encompassed danger and negativity and the fact that the lighting is synthetic creates tension in the audience, suggesting their union is doomed for its link to this counterfeit world: as nothing good comes from the new technologies of the modern, synthetic world according to the Amish’s beliefs. Conversely, the Amish setting is bathed in sunlight and soft pastels, representing a literal and metaphoric transparency or moral purity of its people.

“What a Wonderful World” is heard playing in the background. The lyrics are particularly important in that is shows the John and Rachel “don’t know much” about each others worlds, emphasizing the disparity between the cultures, and it also suggests shared feelings. Throughout the song, both characters act with a degree of chaste, creating romantic tension between the two as the audience can see the level of attraction between the two. This tension is then sustained as they look deeply into one another’s eyes. However book turns his head and returns to their polite relationship. It is at this point that the romantic tension between the two is at an extreme peak.

Colour is used exceptionally well. Red is employed to hint at passion & sexuality, an awakening of the senses and the potential for spiritual wholeness in her love for Book. The colour is principally used to invite suggestion that Rachel’s passion is enflamed by the mysterious outsider. More significantly, it is the mediating colour between the threatening blacks of the city and the idyllic blues of the Amish world.

5. Bathing Scene deconstructed in detail

So now we’re starting to see that these things, these distinct qualities, shape meaning. Let’s take a further look at how themes are conveyed through film techniques.

The “Bathing” scene is a scene of intense romantic tension, temptation and passion. Again, lighting, sound and symbolism are of particular importance in creating and sustaining the theme of romantic tension between John and Rachel. Weir does this excellently.

The only lighting that exists in the scene comes from the moon and a lantern that is in the bathroom with Rachel. Both are very low key and sensual, which creates a romantic atmosphere and cleverly continues the theme of romantic tension.

The sound in this scene is ambient and diagetic. The storm outside creates evokes response in the audience as they are able to relate the stormy atmosphere with bad occurrences. The lack of dialogue shows this awkward situation and the romantic tension that exists between John and Rachel is prolonged by the lack of audio.

In Witness, water is seen as the harbinger of evil. The fact that Rachel is washing, suggests that she is purifying, but in the context of the film, it implies the fact that she is open to evil. A mid shot reveals Rachel’s naked torso. Weir plays close attention to her breasts, sustaining tension by shielding them from the audience for as long as possible, and then surprising us with the confronting image of naked Rachel. The extended eye contact between the two, as Rachel waits for a response from Book, is highly intense and is a source of much tension.

Book stares at the naked Rachel, which is a provocation for their illicit sexual union - an `evil' act in the eyes of Amish law. Rachel's nakedness is symbolic of the purity of the Amish world. Book cannot look upon her nakedness as his stare corrupts the innocence of her world.

Importantly, the consummation of their relationship is not confirmed by Weir, but rather Book and Rachel are merely depicted looking longingly at each other; therefore Weir does not allow for an `evil' interpretation of their act, as it is the metaphoric bridging of two opposing worlds, and thus stands beyond the moral definitions of either the modern or Amish perspective.

6. Synthesis

Throughout, especially in the “Barn Dancing Scene” and the “Bathing Scene”, the use of techniques serve to create, sustain and develop many different themes and ideas. Some themes span the length of the film, and require the viewer to watch the film in its entirety to understand their complexity and subtle brilliance, whilst others are so well done that they are instantly accessible to the observer. This is done particularly well by Weir and is testament to his creative genius as a film maker.

7. Conclusion

So it’s official! Weir plants specific themes into his film. He develops these themes through the sometimes subtle, sometimes dramatic use of techniques.

How well does he do this? Exceptionally well, considering that I can stand in front of you today and talk about it for hours. Witness presents a number of themes that are based around the contrasting aspects between two conflicting cultures; the Amish and the ‘English. These are presented effectively with a variety of film techniques.

8. Impromptu style goodbye

How does this help you? You can now go on to evaluate how well he does this and pass your own judgement upon his work. You will go on to draw your own conclusions, formulate your individual thesis’s and head into your HSC exam prepared and ready to answer any question regarding Weir and his use of techniques. You will then go on to get a brilliant mark for English because you’re equipped with the knowledge and answers to get you brilliant marks having listened to my lecture!

I hope you’ve enjoyed listening to me; it’s been a real pleasure talking to you and entertaining your constructive and brilliant questions. Thanks for witnessing my speech. Good luck and goodbye.

So today I delivered that speech. It went pretty well; I’m confident I got 10/10 marks for my delivery; my speech was thoroughly engaging and I think I impressed my teacher by memorizing the whole speech. I included handouts to help 'engage' the audience and add authenticity to my presentation (which was given under the guise of an HSC study session).

Anyway, tomorrow I have to hand up a printed copy of my speech. It is supposed to be word for word what I delivered, but I’d like to change it in hope of maximizing my chances of getting a good mark out for 10 for it. It has to ‘[demonstrate] an understanding of the films distinctive qualities and how these shape meaning; you will be marked on how its overall organization of ideas is suitable for your audience and purpose.’

So any help/input would be very very much appreciated.

It is due tomorrow morning at 9am, the latest I can leave home is 8am and I will be online all night (because I’m cramming for an exam I have tomorrow at 1:30).

Thanks in advance,

Leif

Really, anything you have to say is most welcome. Btw, I'm going offline to study until 12ish

Last edited:

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
lol, no one commented!

I take it that means that it is perfect the way it is?

I'll be here/online until 12 pm today if anyone has anything that is constructive to say =P

agua.fuego

HSC
I liked that (although am not a year 12 kid, so probably my input isn't too needed). The style that you were speaking in just made it interesting, as opposed to those speeches that sound just so dull, even to the person who's speaking it. I was wanting to keep reading. And I really don't think that you should change it for your printed copy - if it can do that without me even hearing you speak it, that's got to say something. I'm sure that you'll get good marks for it!

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
congrats on getting full marks :)

i'm sure that ur teacher would notice if you'd changed it. no leave it as it is :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)