• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muslim People in Australia (1 Viewer)

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
Nicely said politik... the society generalises SO much its crazy! Just because someone is Muslim doesn't automatically make them a 'rebel' of some sort.
Time to stop hating on people of any ethnicity, religion & race.... sure there will always be people who cause trouble that happen to be Muslim... but what about the people that are catholic, Buddhist, Christian etc. causing trouble?
*shakes head*

sonia.s

HSC
politik said:
I'm going to go all out and say this; I realised it's not 'Muslim people' who are the devil's spawn (as is in the eyes of many Australian's), but rather and simply, people who hail from Lebanon. Over the course of my life I have met the most wonderful, smart and kind Muslim people - and it's a shame their image has been tarnished in Australia by the Lebanese community. It's not the sweet Muslim checkout girl at my local Supermarket who is rolling people on the streets, it's that bowl-haircut Lebanese 'gangster' who is doing it. Sure, in other countries it's other races of Muslims that are committing some atrocities, but in Australia, I can personally say that I have never met a wrong-doing Turkish Muslim, Eqyptian Muslim, or Indonesian Muslim. I know that my post is a major generalisation of the Lebanese community - it would always be certain that it would be viewed that way - but I know that its time to stop generalising the Muslim community and look towards one of the most looked-down countries in the Middle East, Lebanon.
ummm..no offence politik, but if that's your opinion on the "wondeful...sweet...i have never met a wrong doing Tukish..Egyptian..Indonesian...muslims" then all i have to say is that I don't think then that you've met too many muslims.

You should come see all my muslim neighbours and muslim people on my street. Theey come from all parts of the middle east,not just lebanon and most of them have never worked a say since they set foot in australia. They're all on the dole/pension because of "injuries or they are "incapable to work" but despite that, they all hold secret jobs and businesses,in their backyards for example - fixing cars. My other muslim neighbours across the road are "divorced" although they have ADMITTED that this is a lie - just so that they can receive monetary support from the government. My other muslim neighbours on the right arealso doing exactly the same thing - pretending that they are divorced so that our hard-earned money can go towards these lying cheats. The rest of the non-muslims on my street all hold proper jobs and are hardworking people - they're not on the dole! and you say that these muslims have never done any wrong?

To prove that this just isn't a one off thing, i'll give you another example. my dad had a business in a prominent middle eastern area and a large proprtion of his customers were middle-eastern muslims. well, many of these muslims were alll on the dole, claiming all sorts of pensions for non-existent and made up reasons. It was unbelievable!! these people on the pension were all physically well and perfectally capable people who could easily work. There is such a high unemployment rate among Muslims. Why's that? There was one man that even had two wives - under islamic law he was married to the two women, but because this is not permitted in australia, he pretended he had divorced one!!! This is not the only muslim bigamist story I have heard. My muslim neighbour has also admitted to us that her cousin here is also married to two women in australia. How unfair is it that our taxpayer's money are going towards all these lying, cirminal welfare cheats!!I fidn it unbelievable that you've never met a lying, cheating middle eastern muslim! there's plenty of them around

I undertsand that yoru comment was a generalisation of the muslim community and i do agree with you to some extent that the lebanese community in general is to blame and not every muslim as i have shown is a lying wefare cheat. but a high proprtion of them as opposed to other religions/nationalites are.

sly fly

HSC
Just in regard to the hadith about the man and woman being alone together. It's not that there is no way whatsoever that they can't be. The ruling is, that a man and woman can be alone together in a room so long as there is ''no fear of haram'' (haram=something forbidden) happening. However, it is best to try and avoid it.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
sonia.s said:
but a high proprtion of them as opposed to other religions/nationalites are.
What ur saying is simply based on the interaction uve had with ur community/neighbourhood, but I can gurantee u u'll find as many non-Muslims cheating the system, I find it quite absurd that u associate the issue with religion/nationality... the truth is "EVEREYONE DOES IT", by everyone I dont mean everyone thats on the dole is cheating the system, what i mean is that it exists regardless of religion/nationality...

then all i have to say is that I don't think then that you've met too many muslims.
But by the sounds of it, I dont think u have either... Whilst I dont argue that some Muslims may be cheating the system, I argue the fact that its unnasociated with religion/nationality... People find it easy to get away with, and so they take full advantage of it, this has nothing to do with religion. If these Muslims u describe were following Islam, ull find theyd immediately have the sense to stop this "theft"...

As uve described all these cases, i can name u double that amount of Muslims working in top paid jobs who arent on the dole, nor r they cheating the system!

There is such a high unemployment rate among Muslims.
I hardly think if ur name is "Jihad", people will be willing to employ u?

lol...dont take that point as an argument... but when i read that, i remembered a friend named "Jihad" currently taking lessons to become a pilot!

Captain: "Hello, this is ur Captain speaking, My name's JIHAD, and I wish u all a safe and happy trip"

I bet half the passengers would jump "ship" on hearing that? yes? (Meh ignore this last segment of my post!...although he probably would have difficulty getting employed)

Last edited:

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
tempco said:
Wow, how original. She's focusing on the loud minority and ignoring the peaceful majority.

She also labels Islam as the reason why certain Muslim groups react violently to certain things, yet she fails to highlight the education levels, socio-economic environment and so on. What's the point of comparing the behaviour of peoples in third world countries and those that have the quality of life and opportunities of first world nations?
and also explain why other minority groups with similar or even worse socia=economic environment dont react as violently as muslims?
Dont use scapegoats to exaplin why they are violent, just look into the book you are fed to reasons.

Pubert

HSC
SashatheMan said:
and also explain why other minority groups with similar or even worse socia=economic environment dont react as violently as muslims?
Dont use scapegoats to exaplin why they are violent, just look into the book you are fed to reasons.
You say that muslims react more violently than any other group and take it as a given fact when it isn't.

Just because the only negative media coverages are of muslims it doesen't mean that no other group around the world reacts more violently than muslims. The media is quick to jump at anything negative or unlawful that muslims do and when it doesen't concern muslims they generally don't show it or it isn't as emphasised. By watching news or reading news articles which always show muslims as bad you start to think in a negative mindset towards us and you don't think of what news they arn't showing you because it doesen't bring controversy and good ratings as when they show controversial news about Islam.

An example of this is that you take the idea of muslims reacting more violently than any other group from the media and you don't question if this is really the case.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
Pubert said:
You say that muslims react more violently than any other group and take it as a given fact when it isn't.

Just because the only negative media coverages are of muslims it doesen't mean that no other group around the world reacts more violently than muslims. The media is quick to jump at anything negative or unlawful that muslims do and when it doesen't concern muslims they generally don't show it or it isn't as emphasised. By watching news or reading news articles which always show muslims as bad you start to think in a negative mindset towards us and you don't think of what news they arn't showing you because it doesen't bring controversy and good ratings as when they show controversial news about Islam.

An example of this is that you take the idea of muslims reacting more violently than any other group from the media and you don't question if this is really the case.
It is fact. and the media does report on any other group rioting, for example the cronulla riots, were in the media didnt target muslims.

The media doesnt report on the good aspects of muslims ,yes, but it doesnt report on good aspects of any other group either, its just not as important and doesnt interest people. But the fact remains muslims are more violent and hence appear in the news more offen.

do yuo question if it really is the case?

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
SashatheMan said:
But the fact remains muslims are more violent and hence appear in the news more offen.
How do you even know the people they show on the news are actually MUSLIM? How do you know that all of the middle-eastern people at the Cronulla riots were actually MUSLIM? Did they ask every middle-eastern person what their religion was or something? I doubt it.

-------
The news reports on tv about MIDDLE-EASTERN people is like "the new 'it' thing".
Apparently people that come from Lebanon, Arabia, Greece etc. are automatically generealised as muslims by the society...!
There are millions of other riots/troubles happening all around Australia that are just as bad as the stories they show you on the news...what about them? Just because the news broadcast the latest "muslim" attack or whatever doesn't mean it was on the news because it was the MOST VIOLENT. If that's what you think then you have NO IDEA what goes on in Australia..! Seriously!

You couldn't possibly know that Muslims are most violent unless you conducted some kind of world analysis or something. You cant accuse people because of their religion or race.

But the fact remains muslims are more accused of being violent and hence appear in the news more offen

Last edited:

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
SashatheMan said:
But the fact remains muslims are more violent and hence appear in the news more offen.

If thats ur reasoning, then there are quite a few things id questions beforehand!

Since when did we base "facts" as u so bluntly put it, on the observation that a group of ppl appear more than another on our "idiot box" (i.e TV) on the news!

Arabs living in the middle east argue that Jews are more violent. hence appearing in the news more often...but I wouldnt use that as a basis to say that its a "fact" that jews are more violent than anyone else on this earth and generalise the whole population, despite the fact that ive seen some really terrifying things done to the Palestinians (by some jews)! The truth is, everyone regards a certain people as most/more violent..it doesnt make it "FACT"!

Pubert

HSC
SashatheMan said:
It is fact. and the media does report on any other group rioting, for example the cronulla riots, were in the media didnt target muslims.

The media doesnt report on the good aspects of muslims ,yes, but it doesnt report on good aspects of any other group either, its just not as important and doesnt interest people. But the fact remains muslims are more violent and hence appear in the news more offen.

If you base your facts on what the media presents to you, then that is quite pathetic. As i said reporting on the bad actions of a minority group of muslims brings high ratings as it is controversial which is why it is the only thing you here in the news.

I'm quite sure there are non-muslim polygamists in Australia yet you fail to hear of them in quality 6:30 channel #7 news, now do you?

(this is just a recent example)

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Pubert said:
If you base your facts on what the media presents to you, then that is quite pathetic. As i said reporting on the bad actions of a minority group of muslims brings high ratings as it is controversial which is why it is the only thing you here in the news.

I'm quite sure there are non-muslim polygamists in Australia yet you fail to hear of them in quality 6:30 channel #7 news, now do you?

(this is just a recent example)
lol Australian tv is so australian, - only 50% of the shows are from america. With the ABC primarily pommy. SBS has euro and asian..
but anyway.. its waste of money gettin cable in Australia.. hardly any channels.

but money. yes the news and current affairs in Australia is pathetic, ABC and SBS are alrite though.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
^^^ i've seen american news channels and they are far more biased (about 10 times over) than even our own current affair. Seriously, the anchors are usually so opinionated, it just chokes you.

twas a tangent off your point.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
too many stuff have happened here. why do these threads stay inactive for a week then in two days 5 pages jump on board the thread train?

we've said countless times not to take the media's word to be sound judgement, and ur_inner_child, had you have said that you couldnt spot a difference between american and australian news i would have been very surprised. but then again, we havent been targeted as much as america, so one would expect the bias.

Pubert

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
^^^ i've seen american news channels and they are far more biased (about 10 times over) than even our own current affair. Seriously, the anchors are usually so opinionated, it just chokes you.

twas a tangent off your point.
Yes i agree, just watch 5mins of Fox news and youll think that its necassary to invade Iran for national security purposes.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
What percent of Muslim women in Australia would have been subjected to sexual assault by their husbands or femail genital mutilation?

dilroy

HSC
What has Islam contributed to Australia anyway, yet alone the world? Don't say a good religion because it's not, same goes for the people... the only reason it's a fast growing religion is because Muslim parents have a lot of kids.

Christianity, Buddhism and Judaism have a lot more positive impact when compared to Islam.
E.g. Christianity does a lot of fundraising and charity works to help the less fortunate, Bhuddism provides good moral and is probably the most respected + peaceful religion, Judaism is good for any economy... Period.

This is a bit of that Insight show on SBS which is true, it's just the way the trend goes.
GOERGE MEGALOGENIS: On my measure, it took 20 or 30 years for the Italians to lose the ethnic slur of mafia and Greeks to lose the ethnic slur of welfare bludger. 20 years for Asians to lose the triads - Pauline Hanson said that Asians could not assimilate. The Prime Minister said they'd been absorbed quicker than Greeks and Italians.
It's just time for Islams to get the treatment, but by the way most of them are behaving I think it could break the Italian record to probably 40 years lol.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Quite a great deal actually, Islam was a sort of enlightenment in the Arab world while Europe was in the middle of a dark age; they were far more advanced than us culturally and technologically until about the 1400s.

SabtheLab

Mindlessly Acuminous
HSC
MiuMiu said:
Why is it that everytime you hear of a random bashing, or robbery, or rape crime, it is increasingly a person 'of middle eastern appearance'? Acts of terrorism? Feeling intimidated when you walk down the street past a group of young muslim guys......I feel totally safe walking past a group of Aussie guys, or a group of Asian guys, or a group of Indian guys. Something needs to be done.

These are not 'perceptions' influenced by the media. These are based on my own experiences in my personal life, as well as in the course of my employment.

I am proud to be an Australian. I feel enriched by multiculturalism. But I fully support the bumper sticker 'LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT'[/QUO

You pointing out that you're sick of fundamentlaist Islam and implying that this is an inherent part of Islamis inaccurate and offensive. The people perpetrating terrorit acts may be Muslim,but that doesn't give us the right to place them under the same banner as people who are following the reall teachings of Islam. These people are outcasts and as such, when they commit atrocities, Muslims should not be tarred with the same brush just because they share a common religion.

My question to you is- how do you know the guys you walk by are "young Muslim guys"? Do thy openly call out Allahu Akbar? Do they kneel down and pray when you walk past? What basis do you have for considering them Muslims other than the fact that they look Arab? This may surprise you but most Arabs aren't actually Muslims-they're Christians. For all you know, those guys you walk past in the street could be Christ-worshipping, crucifix-loving, church-attending Catholic boys.

Miu Miu, i also am proud of being an Australian. I was born here and plan on staying here because this is just as much my country as it is yours . I'm also a practising Muslim. I pray, i fast, i wear the hijab, im involved in the Muslim community and i study my religion in depth. I follow my religion to a tee and yet i am still considered a law-abiding, contributing member of Australian society. I do lots of charity work and volunterring in the general community and am involved in a myriad of orgs one of which is Amnesty international.
My purpose in telling you all this is to point out that being Muslim doesn't prevent me from contributing fully as a member of Australian society. And yet, when im on the train to Uni every morning, i recieve looks of disgust and fear fom fellow commuters. I was abused by a man at Central last week. I've been told to go back to my own country. I recieve contemptuous looks from people i walk by in the street and treated as though i were a second-class citizen. I cant even walk by a bunch of surfers at the beach without worrying that i'll be abused, and believe me its happened. Why??? Because i wear a veil. Because to the outside world, i seem to represent everyhting thy've been conditioned to hate. Somehow all my achievements dissipate into nothingness as soon as people see that i have a piece of cloth on my head.

Yes I am oppressed- but by whom?..............

Think about it.

You pointing out that you're sick of fundamentlaist Islam and implying that this is an inherent part of Islamis inaccurate and offensive. The people perpetrating terrorit acts may be Muslim,but that doesn't give us the right to place them under the same banner as people who are following the reall teachings of Islam. These people are outcasts and as such, when they commit atrocities, Muslims should not be tarred with the same brush just because they share a common religion.

Kulazzi

HSC
dilroy said:
Christianity, Buddhism and Judaism have a lot more positive impact when compared to Islam.
E.g. Christianity does a lot of fundraising and charity works to help the less fortunate, Bhuddism provides good moral and is probably the most respected + peaceful religion, Judaism is good for any economy... Period.
So does Islam. There's the Mission of Hope, The Al-Ghazzali Centre, The Crescent Project, Xpresso, it's just that you haven't heard of them :rolleyes:

Also, there's an Interfaith Youth Friendship Centre which is in conjunction with the Islamic Foundation for Welfare and Education, which is founded by my grandfather in order to squash those bad ideas of Islam. There's Christian, Hindu, Ba'Hai, Buddhists who attend this weekly session.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)