• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Music Theory! (1 Viewer)

chepas

HSC
Ah, the thrill of sight-reading under pressure! No greater thrill, especially the self-satisfaction when you get it right!

Sight-singing I am still gonna go 'argh' for the exam, because I don't know what to expect. I've looked at and done all the ones from the past exams, but it just isn't the same, under conditions! And our teacher doesn't do them for our assessments/exams so it's sort of, um...

Re: score-reading, yeah that's cool too. Was it you olay, who just loves curling up with a cuppa, a score, and a recording and following it? - That's what I'd love to do straight after the HSC... go to somewhere isolated, like a cabin overlooking a beach, with a nice stereo, lots of milo, and my scores and CDs... dream holiday... :D

Question Time
For you wind instr players out there, what's your secret to double- and triple-tonguing? That is something at which I am crap, my double-tonguing barely counts for more than a fart and triple is non-existant. Any tips? :)

olay

HSC
chepas said:
Re: score-reading, yeah that's cool too. Was it you olay, who just loves curling up with a cuppa, a score, and a recording and following it? - That's what I'd love to do straight after the HSC... go to somewhere isolated, like a cabin overlooking a beach, with a nice stereo, lots of milo, and my scores and CDs... dream holiday... :D
*nods* *GIANT HEART* :D oh oh take me too take me too!!!!!!!!!!!!! except, i'll bring my cadbury drinking chocolate + lipton teas instead. :D

music dr

the little mermaid
HSC
I play piano and flute and do musicanship, but i have always wanted to play the oboe.... seems like a cool instrument ;)

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
eehee, don't let trumpet_geek or timyates hear you say that... i play the oboe! :) its hard though if you want to learn... just needs lots of practice

skankit

chepas said:
For you wind instr players out there, what's your secret to double- and triple-tonguing? That is something at which I am crap, my double-tonguing barely counts for more than a fart and triple is non-existant. Any tips? :)
practice :uhhuh: mine was absolute crap but ive gotten in so fast now. just do 10minutes a day, and itll improve so much....

practice doing it slowly to, that helps an amazing amount. you woudlnt think it would you? but it does. and when i say slow, i mean REALLY slow...!!!!
also do it not on your instrument, like when your sitting around with nothing else to do just be like " t k t k t k t k" or however you do it..

umm, i cant really think of anything else other than just keep practicing, itll come quickly. i decided to teach myself one day and so i just kept practicing and eventually it becomes easier than single tonguing (well it is for me anyway :p)

music dr

the little mermaid
HSC
Am now self teaching myself oboe now. Its not as hard as what i thought. I have had it for 4 days and have learnt several fingerings :D am taking it with me to band on monday and see if i can play with the band. Will be playing it in orchestra next year for local theatre company.

BTW, is it customary for oboe players to play Cor Anglais (English Horn)? Was asking because the orchestral music for My Fair Lady, for the Oboe part, was written for half oboe and half cor anglais. what's up with that? Anyway i transposed it and it was all good...very proud of myself now :D:D:D

wisequaker87

HSC
I play the baritone saxophone or any other type of saxophone... I sing although I'm not so great at it! I played clarinet and keyboard at primary school... I play acioustic guitar and a bit of bass and i'm learning drums, cello and violin. I love music coz i think it's fun, I love learning new instruments n stuff, although I am no good at theoretical music, aural analysis or musicology..oh well...

music dr

the little mermaid
HSC
I like composing best about theory. I love all the cadences and the vocal style as it gives me a chance to create my own thing. Have just done 4th grade musicianship and so i no longer have to use piano style again :D

twism012

HSC
olay said:
i love sight reading!!! sight singing (non examinable) is fun too.

i like sight-seeing..??..

i play bass, self taught up until this year, when i realised i needed to get better in order for a better hsc mark...(genius idea, i must say) and i can apparently sing aswell.. hadn't had lessons but can get about 3.5 octaves...

bitchymcbitch

Uni Bum
HSC
sing alto (2octave) guitar, bass

no formal training.. but i can pick up most instruments and teach myself so its all good.

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
play piano and clarinet and love sight reading.... sight singing on the other hand.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)