music/ shoe-horn sonata (1 Viewer)

jess04

Does anyone know the significance of the song 'Jersualm' being played in the shoe-horn sonata. Thanx

Steph9

HSC
It's been a quite some time since I've looked at this text. If you look at part of the words to Jerusalem "...build Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant land..." I think the significance of this song is to show nationalism and patriotism, particularly on the part of Sheila. You also need to take into account Sheila's background. She's a High Church Anglican-a Protestant, according to the Catholic Church. So the actual place Jerusalem has some significance as to emphasising Sheila's love of her country and her religion.

One of the scenes I remember Jerusalem being sung, was when young Sheila's in the water, after her boat is sunk. I think she sings this song to give her strength and courage in that particular situation. It is a song that reminds her that she is a British woman "part of an Empire".

trekkie

HSC
Jerusalem is a song about the might of the British empire and how it shall never fall, in "The shoehorn Sonata" Misto uses it to show Sheila's patriotism and love for and belief that Britain shall never fall. It also shows that Sheila believes that England is holly and will be protected by god. When she's singing it in the water after the Giang Bee is destroyed its her attempt to not only stay awake, but also to remind herself that Britain is strong and will not fall, despite what she has just been through. There is some irony in this though, at the end of scene 3 when she is singing this song about Britains might and Singapore, Britains fortress that could not be taken by the japanese, had just fallen.

agent_pollifax

Awesome
HSC
So its meant for irony, like "Rule Britannia" which says:
Rule Britannia
Britannia Rules the waves
Britons never never never
Will be slaves

Not only were the women (Britons) enslaved, their boat was sunk (on the waves).

dunnzii

HSC
This aural for shoe horn sonata was harder than i thought.
I thought we just had to talk about the dramatic elements and techniques, but there was actually more to it.

I need help expanding it ><! grr

Horst Burkhardt

Bastard Sys***** of Hell
HSC
Indeed, 404 "We're sorry, this page could not be found" ... as if I believe for a second they're sorry...

Try using Google on the URL and clicking "Cached" on the result...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)