Music of the last 25 years (Australian Focus) (1 Viewer)

what!

HSC
What sort of composition elements are particularly in this topic? Most of the resources I have found seems to be really vague about what exactly modern Australian music is about. I am doing the core composition for Music 2, and am not sure how to best represent the topic. Can anyone help?

postnatal

Banned
HSC
N/A
haven't you heard any works by any Australian composers?

sick of it

HSC
really what you need to do is listen to Australian music from the last 25years, and analyse it.
Like musical devises and techniques and stuff.
Look at Kats-Chernin, Westlake, and Ledger.

ochaguy

HSC
Hey there,

From experience (Music 2 HSC 2009), I have many peers also struggled with finding an ""identity" that associatd their compositions with contemporary Australian music.

However, there really isn't a criteria that measures how "Australian" your piece is.

Instead, go out there and listen to as many contemporary Australian composers and do a quick analysis on the standout features of each piece.

Such details could be:

Rythmic patterns - Weird time signatures, Synchopated rythms, free rythms,
Combination of tone colours - colour chords, unconventional harmonies, polychords,
FUSION music - Combining music from different cultures and background,
Structure - Conventional structure with chorus, through composed
Timbre - Unconventional playing techniques

The key in creating a successful composition for this section is taking INSPIRATION from Australian composers and DEVELOPING and REINTERPRETING these details.

Hope this reply has been of some help to you.

kyokaku92

HSC
Yeah, I've been having this same problem with my composition (piano trio). Too worried my piece is too straightforward and not enough complex rhythmic/melodic structures, I've just taken one idea and expanded it.
The funny thing my teacher said is I've blended some Asian (Japanese?) music with Debussy's music (Images). Very interesting combination.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)