Music/Movies/TV/Games Influence (1 Viewer)

b0b444

HSC
What do people think about how much these sort of things influence people and their actions and opinion and personality?

E.g: does some one who listens to gangster rap really want to "fuck up tha hoes"?
does death metal make someone suicidal?
does someone who plays a lot of violent games become a violent person?
does someone who watches a lot of michael moore films end up a fat old leftie?

should people ban/censor some of these forms of entertainment?

Discuss!

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
I did my essay for uni on this topic, well more towards the gaming side rather than the other 3. I think that they do not bring out of a person anything more then what was already in there.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
b0b444 said:
What do people think about how much these sort of things influence people and their actions and opinion and personality?

E.g: does some one who listens to gangster rap really want to "fuck up tha hoes"?

Discuss!
I don't think you can ignore the link between gangster rap and violent and disrespectful teenage males and promiscuous teenage girls. Although of course thats not the case with everyone.

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
death metal hasn't made me suicidal...

i think it just depends on the intelligence of the person, and their ability to distinguish reailty from unreality...

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
b0b444 said:

Discuss!
1) Yes to an extent it does
2) Look at all the hardcore lebs and fully sik bros. (Not all lebanese ppl are like this)
3) Dont think so
4) Possibly, but only if they are likely to be violent anyways. However it can reduce the chances of them being violent as they have an outlet
5) Yes
6) No

tempco

HSC
acmilan said:
I did my essay for uni on this topic, well more towards the gaming side rather than the other 3. I think that they do not bring out of a person anything more then what was already in there.
my thoughts as well... came across an article in TIME if i remember correctly.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
b0b444 said:

Discuss!
TV, which is the most dynamic and hypersensory of the mediums, should be banned.

Zyklon

Banned
HSC
b0b444 said:
People are totally influenced by the media, fuck those people. I don't watch tv or listen to the radio just to get away from it.

b0b444 said:
Check out the music forum, and you'll see. Lot's of fake gangsters there.
b0b444 said:
Death metal has nothing to do with suicide, more just gore and violence in general, emo and gothic music is more responsible for suicides.
b0b444 said:
I was raised in a christian family and wasn't able to play violent games growing up, now I'm quite violent, you deicide.
b0b444 said:
No, just a total mindless retard.

Yes, all TV/Radio/Rap Music should be banned, it encourages stupidity.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
"Television is most effective when confirming what a viewer already believed; it is good at giving new opinions where the viewer had none; but it is very poor at changing opinion."

"Research shows that viewers are capable of recognising the modality of television texts - that is, the relationship between text and reality."

~Reynaud, Dr Daniel, 1999: Media Values: Christian Perspectives on the Mass Media. Avondale Academic Press.

Point: i think people aren't as swayed by the media as popular opinion holds. To understand the influence of TV/media you need to understand its powers and limitations.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Haha! You are missing the key point.

"it is good at giving new opinions where the viewer had none"

Q.E.D.

As a postscript, what do you think will happen when somebody with weak opinions on a subject repeatedly watches TV where vehement opinions about it are conveyed? WHOOPSIE! It's not so poor at changing opinion as your doctor friend would have you believe. It's a part of desensitisation.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to be exposed to something and think that exposure won't affect your discourses or impart its own. It is especially ludicrous to think that about a medium as powerful as Television, which does not interact with your senses (as a book or video game might), but simply passively overloads your two most powerful ones simultaneously, effectively stuffing yuo full of garbage useless information which you'll never ever need, and in which you cannot separate good from bad and fact from fiction.

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
Its bullshit, no matter how hard you try u cant change someones morality with exposure to games/tv/ etc

Just look at clockwork orange... lol

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
Thanks for the sig by the way, made me crack up

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
shady_03 said:
Its bullshit, no matter how hard you try u cant change someones morality with exposure to games/tv/ etc
I take it you never stopped to wonder how they gained their morality in the first place?

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
Slide Rule said:
I take it you never stopped to wonder how they gained their morality in the first place?
It doesnt come from the media, it comes from family and other close influences which tell whats right and wrong. No matter wat media, it doesn't have the power to change a person (besides if their illiterate or living under a dictatorship)

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Yet there are still people who are influenced or inspired by media whether it be Shakespeare, 8 Mile or Australian Idol :rolleyes: .

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I think video games (because they are interactive and often co-operative) do not increase violence but actually decrease it. In that violent feelings are relieved on polygons not flesh.

TV and movies can glorify violence much more and the passive nature means that it is easier to be 'enjoyed' and can adversly affect behaviour.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
Korn said:
1) Yes to an extent it does
2) Look at all the hardcore lebs and fully sik bros. (Not all lebanese ppl are like this)
3) Dont think so
4) Possibly, but only if they are likely to be violent anyways. However it can reduce the chances of them being violent as they have an outlet
5) Yes
6) No
yeh somebody ACTUALLY said "fully sik bro" behind me the other day.... I nearly burst out laughing.

You have to wonder about the mentality of these people.

but I don't think we'll ever be able to find out the true answer to these questions unfortunately.....

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Haha! You are missing the key point.

"it is good at giving new opinions where the viewer had none"

Q.E.D.

As a postscript, what do you think will happen when somebody with weak opinions on a subject repeatedly watches TV where vehement opinions about it are conveyed? WHOOPSIE! It's not so poor at changing opinion as your doctor friend would have you believe. It's a part of desensitisation.

If they have weak/poorly developed opinions (read: values), then they might as well not have any. That's where TV fills the gaps.

At the end of the day, the power rests with the viewer. If the viewer has strong values, no amount of TV-watching will change them. If, on the other hand, they have weak/nil values, TV will give them some to consider adopting. The latter is the scary part.

Having read the book, and having heard it in my 'doctor friend's' own words in class last year, the key point is that TV's key strength is in confirming pre-existing beliefs/values attitudes. How powerful is TV really? If you're in a room with an argument on a TV show and a real-life argument going on at the same time - which one influences you more?

The media would have you believe that it is powerful, and therefore causes most problems in society. While it may contribute in a small way, the real problem is in people not taking responsibility for both the information they absorb and how they react to it.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
chookyn said:
If they have weak/poorly developed opinions (read: values), then they might as well not have any. That's where TV fills the gaps.

At the end of the day, the power rests with the viewer. If the viewer has strong values, no amount of TV-watching will change them. If, on the other hand, they have weak/nil values, TV will give them some to consider adopting. The latter is the scary part.
That is incorrect. If you think exposure to a stimuli won't change a person with 'strong will', you have a very dodgy understanding of some basic principles of psychology.

And let me ask you this: Do you have an opinion on every possible thing in the world? TV fills you with useless information you will never need, but also gives you prefabricated opinions on things you will never need... and also things you will need. Your argument is flawed on multiple levels.

Having read the book, and having heard it in my 'doctor friend's' own words in class last year, the key point is that TV's key strength is in confirming pre-existing beliefs/values attitudes. How powerful is TV really? If you're in a room with an argument on a TV show and a real-life argument going on at the same time - which one influences you more?
But which one influences you more often? It's all well and good to be a Doctor, but that doesn't mean you're right. Especially if you're biased on the subject. A lot of people blindly defend TV, which is understandble, since it is an addiction which encompasses all the senses and is endorsed by society with no directly visible cause and effect with which to condemn it.

The media would have you believe that it is powerful, and therefore causes most problems in society. While it may contribute in a small way, the real problem is in people not taking responsibility for both the information they absorb and how they react to it.
Would they? I think you're just using that as a motherhood container which you can use to dismiss my argument.

But alas, you're absolutely correct: the problem lies with people not taking responsibility for what they watch. People aren't about to turn off the TV and actually find something meaningful to do with their spare (and often not-so-spare) time. No way. How they react to it on the pother hand... this rapidly spirals out of their hands as their reactions to things become more and more pre-programmed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)