• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Music Extension By Correspondence? (1 Viewer)

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
Does anyone do Music Extension by correspondence?
How are you coping with it?
Which elective are you doing?
Is it worth doing the course by correspondence?

Im just curious because I dont know whether or not I should do the course next year by correspondence because my school doesnt offer it.

champo14

HSC
What elective were you thinking of doing?

So your school offers Music 2 but not Ext.? How odd..

Although I don't do it myself, if you did composition or performance I don't think it would make a difference if you did it through correspondance or not.

For example, I'm doing Ext. Performance and I don't have any periods set aside for ext. music, and only one unit for Music 2.

If your school offers Music 2, there shouldn't be any issues with you doing Ext. However, If your school doesn't offer music 2 then thats a whole 'nother sack 'o potatoes.

jdevlin

annoyingly calm
HSC
You'd have to be do Music 2 by correspondance as well if that was the case i would say... Because it's an EXTENSION subject, that's kind of the idea.

Yea, Like champo said, it's more a do it yourself subject...
Takes a bit of work if you want to do well... but not anything that's not part of your normal subjects

yulhen

HSC
I did both Music 2 and Extension through correspondance. (Damn the school)

Well, for me, doing Extension Music (performance elective) didn't make any difference since all I had to do was just sending my recordings to the teacher ... and sending some assessment. And practicing my instrument regularly.

Music 2 is a different story .... all the musicology and aural and mandatory pieces ......

Anyways, don't be discouraged even if your school doesn't offer it.
Well my school don't offer the whole music course (except music 1) and I'm the only one in my school who do music 2 and extension, phew.

I think my effort was worth it, and if you really want to do music, just do it! :)

Last edited:

cls

HSC
I did music 2 by distance ed for this year but i had a techer in yr 11. My only pieces of advice are if your doing music 2 by correspondance (can't really talk much for music ext though) is
1. Make sure that there is someone who know their stuff about music you can ask question about non-stop even if you have to call your teacher 10 times or something and
2. Make sure that you have somewhere to be able to do your theory work and also somewhere where you can practice your instrument

becibu

HSC
My school only offers music 1. I'm in year 11 so its quite new to me. The first day we learn all the time names ... minim, crotchet, quaver, etc. I don't know why they teach it again SO BORING.
I asked the teacher why we dont do music ext or at least Music 2. He said that he believes that Music 1 is better because the course is more diverse. I don't know if I can cope with Music 2 ... I am doing my Grade 3 theory AMEB this year and Grade 5 piano prac. My impressions of music 1 is that it is the easier course since students dont need a formal training. Also, I think music 1 is really boring.
How do you do it through correspodance ... do you apply at OTEN? or an open school?

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
Your teacher is right, Music 1 is more diverse the topics are very broad to suit alot of different styles for different people in the class, I think thats awesome though I find Music 2 boring at times because we're stuck with one particular type of genre - last 25 years (australian), western, modern kind of music.

As for coping with Music 2, its good to have some background knowledge or some sort of AMEB training because it would help you with things such as Aural, Musicology and etc. Im at 5th Grade theory and only 5th Grade level for piano prac (much like yourself) and im coping fine so there's hope if you want to do this subject! lol
Definately choose this subject if your planning to do something with music after school especially at uni because its a prerequisite to get into most of the music courses.

Im currently doing this subject via correspondence beause my school didnt offer it. I simply applied at the Sydney Distance Education High School (which is like Open High School).
Hope that helped you a bit!

becibu

HSC
ness.xox said:
Your teacher is right, Music 1 is more diverse the topics are very broad to suit alot of different styles for different people in the class, I think thats awesome though I find Music 2 boring at times because we're stuck with one particular type of genre - last 25 years (australian), western, modern kind of music.

As for coping with Music 2, its good to have some background knowledge or some sort of AMEB training because it would help you with things such as Aural, Musicology and etc. Im at 5th Grade theory and only 5th Grade level for piano prac (much like yourself) and im coping fine so there's hope if you want to do this subject! lol
Definately choose this subject if your planning to do something with music after school especially at uni because its a prerequisite to get into most of the music courses.

Im currently doing this subject via correspondence beause my school didnt offer it. I simply applied at the Sydney Distance Education High School (which is like Open High School).
Hope that helped you a bit!
Serious? I got a booklet last year and I saw Music 2 as recommended studies. I thought they dont look at music1 or music2 if you go to uni solely because of the reason that not all schools offer it. My singing teacher (at the con) told me that they look at UAI and take students of 80 UAI and above but apparently they don't look at the subjects you did.

Thanks for telling about distance ed. I might look into it. Do you find doing it through correspondance tricky? Do you get any communcation with the music teachers in your school? I thought the limitation with private lessons (AMEB) is working with other musos. Then, when you do correspondance you can't work with others ... Just a thought ... Thanks!

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
becibu said:
Serious? I got a booklet last year and I saw Music 2 as recommended studies. I thought they dont look at music1 or music2 if you go to uni solely because of the reason that not all schools offer it. My singing teacher (at the con) told me that they look at UAI and take students of 80 UAI and above but apparently they don't look at the subjects you did.

Thanks for telling about distance ed. I might look into it. Do you find doing it through correspondance tricky? Do you get any communcation with the music teachers in your school? I thought the limitation with private lessons (AMEB) is working with other musos. Then, when you do correspondance you can't work with others ... Just a thought ... Thanks!
Well they don't actually look at whether you did Music 1 or 2 but I think its good to at least have that extra familiarity, background knowledge because I think you might find it hard because after all your competing against the best of the best, people who are at like AmusA level and etc but of course if you have formal music lessons that would be heaps hopeful! :)
But please anyone correct me if what I'm saying is wrong! lol

Yeah definately look into it :)
I find it hard keeping up with the work at times, because you do all the work on your own and at your own pace so its really easy to fall behind! lol So you've got to be organise and make time for it.
The music teachers at my school are really helpful like whenever my distance ed teacher is absent or anything I usually annoy them about my work (lol best not to annoy them ALLLL the time but hey! thats what their there for haha), ask them for feedback and etc so I guess thats a bonus for me!
As for working with others, I actually do! well, only for performance though with the Music 1 class at school but with theory and musicology I have to do it on my own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)