Music = crap UAI (1 Viewer)

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Rant: I can't even transfer internally within USYD, I want to go from the BMus (Comp.) to the BA/BMusStudies, and it means that if I get it, I'll deny one of you poor sods a place in the course.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Phanatical said:
Rant: I can't even transfer internally within USYD, I want to go from the BMus (Comp.) to the BA/BMusStudies, and it means that if I get it, I'll deny one of you poor sods a place in the course.

ARGHH! I NEED B MUSIC (COMP)!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Phanatical said:
There are only 14 places open for the BMus (Comp.)
*falls off her seat*

ah shit. and this is my first preference...

Why so few? And why exactly that particular number???

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
Phanatical said:
There were 14 in 2001. 14 in 2002. 14 in 2003. I guess it's a quota thing.
holy crap - i was hoping to do that too....

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
If you do well, you'll get in. You'll find that there aren't that many people interested in doing the BMus (Comp.). And if you can't get into that, then add BMusStudies to your UAC preferences, and transfer in after a semester. They won't have a problem with you doing that.

HSC
I don't know if that is true... I don't believe it..

My guitar teacher got a UAI of 96.5 in 2003 and he did Music 1 and was asked back to Encore. He didn't even end up going, what a bum... But seriously, he did bludge subjects like Business and Music and Computers and General Maths and he got UAI 96.5..

Bloody good for a muso?
Yep..

Scott

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
He must have topped all of them to get that. Plus, what school did he go to?

daemonic666

whats the point of this?
HSC
petrucci_dude said:
I don't know if that is true... I don't believe it..

My guitar teacher got a UAI of 96.5 in 2003 and he did Music 1 and was asked back to Encore. He didn't even end up going, what a bum... But seriously, he did bludge subjects like Business and Music and Computers and General Maths and he got UAI 96.5..

Bloody good for a muso?
Yep..

Scott
hey newie on the forum how good is it?

but what that isn't really that tough im doing 14 units, math english phys chem and this as an extra, and he done nothing, of course hes gonna get a good UAI

it doesnt matter really we just gotta stick to it. and there are so many back doors these days we can sneak through virtually anything

tash

lalalala
HSC
bah it's all rubbish i tell you. i did music 1 and got 92 for it and my assessment mark was scaled up 3 marks from what it originally was and i got 92.75 for my uai so i don't see any scaling down there, and most my other subjects weren't great scalers either. the whole thing is absolute rubbish

Krangelus

i am a tiger
HSC
N/A
music is not a "real" subject though. It is a gift to be musically talented. You either have it or you dont. So those who dont sitting through a class where you are just drumming music into your system (excuse the pun) is a waste of time. Isnt it? Or have i completely missed the plot? You tell me.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Music is most definitely a real subject. Most musicians spend thousands of hours perfecting their musical abilities, just as we do practicing our english and maths in school. I try and get in at least an hour's practice a day - the best musicians get in six.

It's not just learning how to make the instrument make noise either. You need to have an understanding of musical structure - melody, harmony, rhythm, timbre etc. - so in addition to spending hours and hours practicing the instruments, we spend hours and hours writing out harmonies, writing essays and listening to recordings to understand how composers created the works that we play. Then we spend hours and hours studying musical history - where all these ideas of what makes up modern music comes from.

tash

lalalala
HSC
i'll say. how can you say that if you're not gifted at a subject then it's a waste of time doing? there is such a thing as pure interest, and whethere or not you're the best at it you can do a subject just to learn about it. and that's for every subject out there, be it music, maths, science, drama, whatever. but in terms of music like phanatical said, there's more to music than just prac. so what if you suck at playing, do musicology or composition. you can enjoy music without being musically talented!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
that's true.

girl in my school did Music 1, thought she could sing, can't hold a note, had her daddy and his band accompany her, but the thing is, she's top of the class with her musicology stuff.....

She and her crappy voice will get a good mark.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
tash said:
i'll say. how can you say that if you're not gifted at a subject then it's a waste of time doing? there is such a thing as pure interest, and whethere or not you're the best at it you can do a subject just to learn about it. and that's for every subject out there, be it music, maths, science, drama, whatever. but in terms of music like phanatical said, there's more to music than just prac. so what if you suck at playing, do musicology or composition. you can enjoy music without being musically talented!
Excuse me! Are you saying that musicologists and composers aren't musically talented??!

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
No, shes just saying that if you aren't that crash hot at performing, do comp or musicology instead. That doesn't equate to being a bad musician, it just means that your understanding and expression of music lies on a different level. You of all people Phanatical should know that.

tash

lalalala
HSC
oh sorry no i didn't mean that at all. yeah what ujuphleg said. but what i meant in that last sentence was referring to people who might not even play an intrument or have any knowledge of music at all still can enjoy music, not musicologists and composers (hell i'll pick musicology over performance any day i love it to bits!). but just think of all the randoms out there who love listening to music but have never touched an instrument in their life, they could still do music as a subject and it would not be a waste of their time, because they're learning about something they like.

soras2

HSC
that sounds very scary considering im doing music1 and i dont think im all that good at it, even though im top in the class but my class is major bludge i dont think i'll survive this =( i just hope music doesn't screw me over that much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)