Music 2 (1 Viewer)

Peanut11

HSC
I did music 2 and extension last year, accelerated.
It was the most ridiculous course I have ever done and I recommend it only to people whose schools push them! Music 1 is scaled down, even if you get 98 as a mark I think before your UAI is calculated it gets scaled down to the low 90's or 80's. Otherwise, it wouldn't be fair, because people who get even high 80's in music 2 could easily get 100 in music 1, (the musicology and standard of performance is higher).
I got on the honour roll in my three units, but I don't know if it was worth it.

olay

HSC
LoL everyone in my class is doing ext music except for me :( [cause i would have had 14 units with 4 of those being extensions]. i've screwed up my first couple of assessments [i think its cause i stopped doing musicianship and became rusty on all things theoretic. :p] but i have to say...our class is kinda bludgy. :S should i keep it [its my fave subject, but my worst atm in terms of assessments].

Peanut11

HSC
hey
serious
don't you hate the written aspect?
This year i am doing 13 units, 5 extensions. tisn't much fun. most of our teachers are narrow minded and christian.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
what school do you go to?
5 extensions, yikes, you are brave
good luck!!

D

-DoRi-

This mite be a little off the topic but....
I was wondering...
Do you have to have 3rd grade theory at minimum to do Music 1 for Year 11?
I heard that you are expected to have done some gradings in both theory and practical in order to do music for Prelim/HSC...

Luci IV

Just a general note. I completed the HSC last year (fun fun fun, not...) and am now studying at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. I did Music 2 and extension with high marks in both (i got 46/50 for extension!! yay). I suggest to any future music 2 candidates should also take extension especially if you're doing performance. When choosing pieces, think about what the examiner wants to hear, they dont want to hear fur elise twenty thousand times. Go to a music library and hunt for unusual pieces that you enjoy, fit the time period and show off what you're good at. For example if you love fast crazy pieces dont choose something that is slow and lyrical. That being said, choose your program so its diverse. Think of it as a concert, no audience wants to hear 6 pieces all in the same style. And remember, at this level you must be performing ART MUSIC. Wanky as the term is, you must play music that is credible, or you're just not going to get the marks.

Good luck to all of you, enjoy the experience and keep playing.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
i agree with luci.... as wanky as the term is, art music is really the only thing which is acceptable at this level. they don't want to hear classics and they don't want to hear pop. If you're looking for core pieces, head to the Australian Music Centre on Hickson Rd in sydney if you live around there of visit their site (www.amcoz.com.au i think) they have heaps of stuff and it's also very useful to look there particularly if you need scores for comps as examples or essay quotes too.

good luck for half yearlies everyone! :)

lord chumpley

HSC
theory/musicianship

-DoRi- said:
I was wondering...
I heard that you are expected to have done some gradings in both theory and practical in order to do music for Prelim/HSC...
no, you don't really have to have it, but you really need about 4th or 5th theory or musicianship otherwise you'll just get stuff that's over your head
i'm in year 11, did 5th grade musicianhip this year, and some of it actually crosses over with the music syllabus so it's handy.

kylie_robbo

I have done musicianship grades 1 and 2, and I am doing Music 1 for my HSC... It has helped, but it isn't necessary to have studied any musicianship grades.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Sorry in advance to have to post such a random post in this, but I haven't been able to start a thread due to an error (see BOS help) for two weeks and this are answers I'd really like to know asap.

So...are the Year 11 mandatory and additional topics examinable in the HSC? And if so, do we have to learn a piece representative of each period with respect to the concepts for the essay question?

Thanks

Last edited:

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
no theyre not assessible, but it helps to be able to throw some of that stuff in your responses
no you dont need to learn a piece representative of each period
year 11 just prepared you for year 12, only the yr 12 work is assessible, look at past exam papers an see

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
-DoRi- said:
I was wondering...
not at all. Many people may not know this, but the whole reason music 1 was introduced was for people who only picked up music in yr 11 (kind of like beginners languages) - of course it'd help to know something beforehand, but theres definitely no prerequisites.
its a bit sad that music 1 has turned into a course that lots of musicians who have been playing for ages take, probably owing to the fact music 2 is a rather shite course, and that a lot of schools dont offer it. I vote for bringing back the fun into music.... :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)