Music 2- sight singing sucks!!!! (1 Viewer)

s_music

Hey i really suck at sight singing.. an i was wondering if anyone had any tips?? i know practicing helps.. but im not getting anywhere.....

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Get a feel for the music, remember the time signature of the song, tap your foot to maintain the beat, then flow as the music is played. It helps if you can read a bit of music or understand where the music is being played to accompany your vocals.

s_music

I can read music... i'm just not a singer...... so are u allowed to tap while u sing?

chepas

HSC
I can't see why one CAN'T tap... I mean, people do naturally have some sort of movement from tiem to time when they play music/sing it...

Also, probably a bit obvious, go for singing the open vowel/humming and not for the words hehe...

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
sight singing is EASY!!!! I worked soooo hard practicing my performance pieces and putting heaps of time and effort into it, and did no sight singing practice, but in my trials i played well but got shitty performance marks but got 5/5 for sight singing! Argh its so annoying.
O well here are some tips from me the sight singing genius :
-look at time signature
-look at tempo
-dont worry about pitch at first - try to clap the rhythm, cos often there are unexpected syncopated bits!!
-look at key signature (figure out its tonality - many people fall in the trap of thinking somethings in G major if theres only 1 sharp, but infact its in E minor!!)
-dont bother singing out the words its a waste of energy
-look out for any large leaps or odd intervals - identify the interval and try to sing it over to become familiar with it
-when they give you the tonic chord, you should sing the tonic note, and sing the arpegios of the primary chords I, IV and V(7th). Have the harmony in your head while singing the arpegios and also look out for those notes on the music you might be able to hear the chord progression in your head maybe
-try to sing loud and confidently - you are more likely to be in tune if you sing loud and proud- if you sing softly, they might not be able to hear you and they might not be able to tell if you sang correctly or not!!
-perhaps pretend to play your instrument while singing this might help - i always move my fingers as if im pressing down the valves on my trumpet when i sing
-Grab any old music from anywhere and practice sight singing at least once everyday - its so easy to get full marks for sight singing
i wish my whole hsc music marks were based on my sight singing cos i suck at everything else !!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)