Music 2 Paper: What did you think? (1 Viewer)

chepas

HSC
Yeah I just came to realise, yeah, they did give us a long time ey...

CRAP.. Personal epiphany, I just realised I analysed the wrong f'ing bar in the "Figure out the chord in bar X"... i did the first beat of bar thirty-FIVE and not thirty-FOUR! Oh crap, hurray for actually reading the question. In that case, Bb Minor i'd say., I can't see a 7th...

D'oh...

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
oh noooooo dont scare me like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate when people tell each other the answers after the exam.... I hate my music teacher cos everytime we do one of those aural exams for assesments or whatever, he could rush over to the piano straight after weve done the exam and tell us the answers ... and then im just like standin there about to cry cos i got them all wrong!!!! But yeah thank god we had those supervisors for the HSC - they dont tell you the answers straight after the exam! So.... was the chord Bbminor or Bbminor7th?? NO WAIT dont tell me.... cos i prolly got it wrong and ill just start crying again arghhhhh!!!!!!!!!

chepas

HSC
^In the previous exams I'd usually walk over to the piano myself and make myself cry by playing whatever :(. It happened in the half yearly... Re: that chord, I cannot see a 7th anywhere within the first beat. I think if you said Bbmin, then you're fine. Unlike Fbmaj lol...

caroline86

the melodic dictation was kinda hard.... i kept on thinking that the fist beat was on the beat... you get me????
the question for the essay was good... but i'm still chaffed that we only get 20 mins to write about two pieces and write quotes as well...
other than that... the questions were really straight forward..... very happy with it!!! :p

caroline86

i don't mean to burst your bubble people but i looked back at that chord that you guys are all discussing and isn't it a Gmin7???? first inversion???

chepas

HSC
There aren't any G's in it though? Bass - Bb, Cello I & II - Bb, Viola II - Bb, Viola I - Db, Violin II - F, Violin I - Db, Solo Vlm - F, Brass - Bb and an F, Basoon - Db??? So root Bb minor?

Kelvy

HSC
Hey peoples, Chepa is right - the chord is Bb minor, root position, with no 7th. I don't want to sound like I'm "holier-than-thou", but I have perfect pitch so I doubled checked it as well when they played the excerpt :p

lol, hope everyone's other exams are going ok. Good luck guys :)

Kelvy

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
aaaaaaah crap you guys make up your mind!!!! Ok, for you guys that reckon its a Gmin7th, which instrument had the 7th??? are you sure u didnt mistake any alto clefs in the violas or any transposing instruments???

chepas

HSC
Yes Bbmin. We'll lock it in and don't want to use any lifelines!

(I have perfect pitch too, but it's such a pain in the arse sometimes. The Anne Boyd piece that I used, the parts are written in Eb major, but the recording we used it was sung a semitone higher, so it stuffed up my memory of how the parts were pitched cos I was thinkin in E maj instead of Eb! And I just couldn't transcribe a section of it I wanted to when I referred to the manuscript paper in my essay It's also highly annoying when things like Bach's (well not specifically his) Preluges/Fugues etc, pretty much any art music, are played and the title is so clearly "C minor" or something, and it is a semitone lower than it! I mean come on, it says C minor, not B minor! Unless they tune the clavichords down or something. Frustrating! I bought a recording of Well-Tempered Clavier once only to find it had this problem and promptly exchanged it for one by a diff performer. Really sad and pedantic but I want my C minor to be C minor dammit!).

Was the Albinoni Oboe piece something from back in the 1Xth Century or was it something modern? Very nice and happy... (d'oh, subjective assessment. Eeeek).

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
yeah sorry, my bad. i thought i saw a 7th in the first bassoon part because i missed the tenor clef before hand.

its definatley Bb minor. case closed.

Tamara m

Oh that melodic dictation was AWFUL!!! i only gotthe first bar and a bit of the second.............and i usually can do it good! So jealous of ppl who got it right.....

trumpet geek

HSC
N/A
Tamara m said:
Oh that melodic dictation was AWFUL!!! i only gotthe first bar and a bit of the second.............and i usually can do it good! So jealous of ppl who got it right.....
that was easy!! well, it wasnt EASY as such but like you just had to listen out for little clues... such as ... it was mostly scalic yeah? and the last bits were repeated? YOu just have to sit there and listen carefully and jot down what you hear as fast as you can so that you have plenty of time to check afterwards... oh well, for next time, just practice transcribing heaps it helps train your ear and stuff and learn intervals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)