Music 2 Paper: What did you think? (1 Viewer)

chepas

HSC
Well well, I liked this paper. I am so glad that there were no pieces that sounded like a notated train-wreck. In fact they were really nice ones...

Melody dictation - hurray for repetition and TONALITY! :D And that Tommaso Somethingwhatso composer!

I had a massive blond moment and heart attack combined, when I started answering the Question 2 piece to the Question 3 pieces! I had to ask for a new section of that paper... HURRAY for READING WHAT'S ON THE PAPER :rolleyes:...

Otherwise, I am happy with it...

bahodl

Currently wearing pants
HSC
yeah it wasn't too bad.... the melody dictation went damn quickly as always but i think it was ok and the metre and harmony questions of part 3 - its always hard to know how much u need to get 4 marks

skankit

i loved it actually!

yeah youre right the music was great, i loved it! the melody dictation wasnt too hard, which is a lot coming from me coz i suck, and i thought the essay was really good!!

dont worry i had the BLONDEST moment (as did most of my class actual).. did anyone else do what we did, and not look at the key signature when identifying the chord? like half my class wrote Bbmaj not min :( damnit!!!

other than that - fair paper!!!

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I've always expected nothing from melody dictation... I just could never do it!
But I think my essay kicked so much ass. I really liked the question. At first I thought it was leaning on structure, but I realized that it could be all sorts of things, and the use of "variation" and "contrast" of ideas to "sustain interest." The rest, bahhhh as expected.

And the saxophone piece, who cares about the question, it was a GOOD PIECE OF MUSIC... to bad I couldn't pick up things as fast as I usually could.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
skankit said:
did anyone else do what we did, and not look at the key signature when identifying the chord?
*looks at the question paper that she took home and shoots herself*

chepas

HSC
For the essay I focused on pitch material reuse and its development by other means etc. Actually the more I think about it, the more of a piece of nothingness my essay seems to be...

Re: That chord - I said it was Fb major...??? I looked at all the notes and it fit. and it sounded like Fb major to me (well, E major. Frigging enharmonics).

Edit: Wait, does Fb major even EXIST? Holy shit....

Last edited:

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
ok i too wrote BbMaj7 so i'm royally stuffed.

There are two people in my music 2 class, the other person is a trumpet player. She took one look at the melody dictation and said "Bloody Oboe players!"

LOL

chepas, trumpet_geek and timyates 87 i thought of you guys and grinned. I knew the Tommaso Albinoni Oboe Concerto so i was set.

And how good was the essay question?! :D Yay!

We didn't get an evil paper like the previous years! :) I was a little perturbed by the ambiguity of the saxophone question about repetition: were they asking for instances of repetition or what?

as it turned out, i answered that question incorrectly too. But hey.

Its over now~! :D 2 down 4 to go...

s_music

The essay was awesome.... however im not too sure abt melody>?! they didnt give u enough room!!!! the rest was as expected.

chepas

HSC
LOL Yeah, I actually thought when I looked at the score - that somewhere out there you were rejoicing :D.

Yeah that sax piece was a bit disconcerting to answer... I think I just put something about the seemingly repetitive nature of the piano/cello/violin ostinato, and that even though it wasn't metrically really balanced it was still a basically repeated idea... I can't it all, it was so long ago!

jflores

HSC
yay i wrote Bb minor!!!!

I needed another writing booklet for my essay question and I had 5 mins to write a conclusion and then the supervisor said stop. I was like woah. So I didn't argue! Do you think I would of got penalised?

I hate melody dictation. Never really get it right.

jessie199

twas ok

I was plesantly surprised at the paper, i thought melodic dictation sucked shit but i was never gonna get it anyway.
I loved the essay, it was ambiguous and allowed you to write about anything and everything.
So with the chord in question 1 was it Bb minor??? coz thats what i put, probly the first thing i got right all year. But otherwise i thought it was OK.

vicksta

HSC
I was really happy with the paper- yeah, i thought the essay was so awesome, pretty much exactly the same as my half yearly question!!! It was strange, I'd already finished the essay when the allocated time started, cos id gone ahead...they gave us so much time to answer each question!!

fr0ggy

HSC
jubilation!

Hi! I quite liked the paper overall, apart from the fact that I had two Question Ones stapled in my booklet and was missing a Question Two!! They had to photocopy extras for about 4 of us! Talk about disorganised. I also put Bb Minor for the chord. Is Corno in Fa Horn in F? I guess it didn't really matter, but it would have been good to have actually learnt the German alphabet.

skankit

hehe yeah tis horn in F, im pissed off they didnt ask for transposition coz i kick ass at that (god bless transposing instruments :D)

you know what was my favourite question? the "which instrument is doubling the horn 1 part" one. that was fantastic! altho im scared there was a trick to it. it was like one of the vlns, right??

olay

HSC
:( i finished my essay midsentence cos theres no clock in our room + my watch doesn't have seconds hands + the lady only warned us when we had 3 mins to go.. and i took the q'n to mean how a melodic line is dev't in a piece.... except i hadn't prepped for this so i wrote about how my pieces took a musical idea in the form of a type of music [e.g. ragtime] and developed it by adding their own things. do u think that'll go down ok??

+ yup skankit, i think it was doubled by vln

Lady_Melian

stary nights
HSC
Yeah, i thought the paper was alright too, which was very surprising and nice, coz we had looked at a few past papers that really would have sucked much poo if we got something like them. I found (for once) that i had enough time to answer the questions in the times given and was also able to answer some of them beforehand as well....perhaps better time management on my part? who knows. And the melody dictation was ok, thanks to its repetitive nature (or i woulda been totally screwed!!) Anyways, its over now!! yayness to the max!!! only 5 to go... :p lol

doobywacka

Our exam was moderately eventful. Just before the secind last question (on harmony in that alto sax piece) the CD player broke. It took the examiners a couple of minutes to realise the problem, and then told us, we had twenty minutes to do question 4, and that we'd do the question we missed, afterwards.

This was good and bad
Good - we got a couple of extra minutes.
Bad - When we came back to do the final question, it was like listening to the piece for the first time again. Instead of having it clearly in our minds from the prwvious parts of the question, i was singing my essay pieces in my head.

chepas

HSC
skankit said:
you know what was my favourite question? the "which instrument is doubling the horn 1 part" one. that was fantastic! altho im scared there was a trick to it. it was like one of the vlns, right??
Yeah I had a bit of chagrin about that. I said it was Violin I, or was it Violin II? Either way, it was one of them (I couldn't be bothered transposing the notes so just went on the melody contour).

^Broken CD player? Eek! Misadventure?, :D...

CraoPosaune

HSC
N/A
yeah, i'm a little disconcerted at the level of the exam though. at least the hard one last year separated the good students from the bad ones. This year, its going to be harder to distinguish between them.

sure, they'll be able to know the english extension students in the essay, but thats it.

on a lighter note, i loved the paper!!! I'm a bit pssed off though cos music one got The Living End and I LOVE THEM!!!

The last question before the essay was a bit taddy. The essay i thought was great, but all the extension english 2 kids in my class thought it sucked. but i thought it was good. whether it was good or bad i am still yet to decide.

but yay! 3 down and 4 to go!!!

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
mmmm i loved the excerpts in the aural exam.... they gave us so much time to do a question i just sat there listening to the music.. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)