• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Music 2 or IPT - which one scales better... (1 Viewer)

Babbu

HSC
Hi everyone,

I just need help in deciding between these two subjects - Music 2 and Information Processes and Technology. These two subjects are not for my main 10 units but as I need extra 2 units just to be on the safe side, I have to have one of these. I did almost equally good in both in my year 11 - got above 90.
Please suggest which one would scale better.

Any suggestions from those who had Music 2 in their HSc to please guide me. How tough is the exam? My teacher has told me that we'll have Australian Popular music in year 12. What will I need to do in this, and how much study or practise hours required.
Basically if Music needs less work than IPT and gives more then ok.
Thanks

suzlee

HSC
Music 2 scales far better than IPT apparently...
Sorry, that's all I know :p

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Music 2 is way harder than IPT. But if you've got confidence in Music 2, keep music 2, since it does scale a lot better than IPT.

Roga

HSC
From my knowledge and information, I'd assume Music scales better.

Cerry

HSC
I'm actually a music 1 student, but the rest of my class do music 2, so I've pretty much got my head around things (you might like to double check what I'm saying with staff, though).

I think your teacher was talking about the core topic for music 2, which is actually Australian music of the last 25 years. It sounds like it includes popular music, but it's actually an art music focus (at least, at most schools it is - I don't think the syllabus actually states that anywhere, though). You'll probably look at music by people like Peter Scullthorpe and Graham Howard.
You have to do a performance and a composition that represent the core - so your performance is a work by an Australian composer written between 1984 and 2009, and when you do the performance for the markers, you'll also have to do sight singing. Lots of the girls in my class practised for an hour or more a day for their performances - but no one in my class was doing less than 3 perfromances.

The composition can strictly speaking, be just about anything, because you're an Australian, writing between 1984 and 2009. 3 of the 4 music 2 students at my school wrote art musicish things (one for piano, one for piano and flute, and one for 3 guitars and a vibraphone), and the other one did a more popular music sort of thing, for voice, piano, and a string section.
Your composition (a recording and a score) has to be accompanied by a process diary, which has draft scores, details about the process you used, inspiration and that kinda thing. As long as you've got draft scores that you've dated throughout the year, it's possible to do it all in one night (just remember to change pens if you're writing it by hand), which is pretty much what my whole class did. The diary is marked internally, and probably won't make it to the marking center - they do random checks, but the only other time they'll ask for it is if they suspect that you're not submitting your own work.

As well as the core, you do an elective topic (actually, it might be 2), and have to do two representations of it - any combination of musicicology essays, performances and compositions. Can't remember off the top of my head what the electives are, but they'll be up on BOS somewhere.

The actual exam has aural stuff, where you answer questions about the music they play you, including a melody dictation. They might also ask you to look at the score they give you, and transpose a clarinet part or something like that. And you'll have to answer things about the chords they use on the scores, and what the musical terms and symbols mean. There's also an essay question where you write about pieces you've studied that represent the core topic (I think it's usually 2, but my class has studied 5).

That's all I really know about it, but I hope it helps.

Last edited:

Babbu

HSC
Hi,

Thanks everyone for your reply. I will make up my mind about Music 2, harder tough it seems compared to IPT. With such detailed information, I'll weigh the pros and cons, will discuss with my teachers too and see what they say.
Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)