Music 2- musicology paper (1 Viewer)

cakes

hi
HSC
How many works are you learning for that stupid "essay" question... and are you going to learn any works from the additional topic? I dont think they've asked a question where you have to refer to a work from the additional topic!!

I think I'll study 3 pieces from the mandatory topic... not sure if I can even be bothered learning any from the additional...

Katey

HSC
Hi,

I'm going to learn 2 maybe 3 works from mandatory and probably 1 for additional. I'm thinking that since they havn't asked ppl to write about additional for the last couple of years, it's likely they'll ask about it this year!

Bye
Kate

Dangar

It's risky not knowing an additional topic piece since it's possible that they may ask about it and since you only have twenty minutes you need to know exactly what you want to say...you won't have time to make stuff up, or not anything decent anyway.
So yeah I'm obviously going to be studying at least one additional topic and maybe 2 or 3 mandatory pieces.

SugaryPlume

Read the feedback from last year's paper (Board of studies site) it seemed to endorse ppl who did 3 or 4 pieces. However, 2 is definitely necessary. But what I'm wondering is, how much can you write in 20 minutes? I can only do about 5 points and a couple of musical quotes (equivalent to 2 pages of the BOS lines)

sugared plum

HSC
3 or 4 ???? is that writing about all the concepts?
I guess it's easy to refer to works, especially if one draws from another, but close analysis of all.
That's impossible.
Sometimes I start the essay early - if I finish melody dictation or some section early. But it's still not enough time ever

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
i reckon music is the hardest exam (not that i can compare it to all of them, only to another 6!!) but cos our exam is run by the disc. we cant choose what question we'll do, and in what order, or how long we'll spend on it...... you have to follow the time set by the BOS and the dude whose talking.

ok that was my rant! hahaha

im going to learn 2 mandatory in decent amount of detail, and one additional. nothing major, but 3 pieces to talk about, plus they sometimes make you refer to the piece in the previous question (well they have in the 4 exams ive done in the last 2 yrs!)

"using *enter piece name* and two other pieces that you have studied from the mandatory topic, discuss the use of...blah blah blah.........."

so that means i'll be refering to like 4 pieces in 20 minutes.....damn this is gonna be fun

good luck to you all, cram hard over the weekend!!

parko :D

cakes

hi
HSC
what's everyones additional topic?

i'm doin 1900-45,, i decided i'd study a messiaen piece.. so fuggen complex though, arghh.. yeah and i'm gonna learn 2 from the mandatory topic.

my teacher said to learn 3 mandatory and 2 additional! pffffft hahah whatever!

anyway, good luck everyone :D

ez_19

Musikerin
HSC
I think the best way to "study" (hmm..) for the essay question is to write down a list of the musical concepts, and pick 1 or 2 pieces which you think best demonstrate each concept. Best have at least one piece from mandatory and one from additional topic for each concept. That way, you don't have to learn EVERY musical concept of EVERY piece, and you'll be prepared for almost any essay question - cos as u know the essay questions are based around one or two concepts, and they ask you to talk about how your works represent these concepts etc..
i think altogether that means i'm studying a few concepts from a max of about 4 pieces (2 for each topic) cos they can't ask u to refer to more than 2 pieces for each..
I'm sure some of the pieces u've done in class have a lot of info for certain concepts, and not much at all for others, so this is a way of making sure u will have enough to say by having the best pieces for each concept. also I think i'll do my essay in point form..
gd luck to everyone for mon :)

parko

RN in 2007
HSC
yea, point form works well for music essays. cos u only have the 20 minutes, and you cant afford to fluff your words out, you need to "get into the guts of it" as my teacher says.

a good intro, and then right into the details.

who here has learnt some "musical quotes"? i have 2 or 3 for each, and i hav trouble remembering them. hehehe

good luck

parko :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)