Multiple Choice (1 Viewer)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I don't want you all criticising my answers and potentially destroying my confidence haha but no one else made a multiple choice thread so i'll just do it:

1.A
2.A
3.C
4.B
5.D
6.C
7.D
8.A
9.D
10.C (In retrospect it is probably B)
11.D
12.A
13.C (idk about this, seemed most correct)
14.D
15.C
16.D
17.B
18.B
19.A
20.C

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
lol, i wont be able to tell, i cant remember the questions off by heart =/
Our examiners (and i think they are all supposed to?) allowed us to take parts of the exam paper out provided we didn't leave before pens down.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I don't want you all criticising my answers and potentially destroying my confidence haha but no one else made a multiple choice thread so i'll just do it:

1.A
2.A
3.C
4.B
5.D
6.C
7.D
8.A
9.D
10.C (In retrospect it is probably B)
11.D
12.A
13.C (idk about this, seemed most correct)
14.D
15.C
16.D
17.B
18.B
19.A
20.C
I didn't get to keep my paper, but was 12 the system flowchart qs? :D because I put the same as you.

timinator1993

HSC
Mine

1.A
2.A
3.C
4.B
5.D
6.C
7.D
8.A
9.D
10.D
11.A
12.A
13.D
14.D
15.C
16.D
17.B
18.B
19.A
20.C

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I didn't get to keep my paper, but was 12 the system flowchart qs? :D because I put the same as you.
12 was the "The system is tested by running it for 24 hours under closely controlled conditions.". 13 was the flow chart question.

@Timinator: Sorry im not trying to attack your answers haha we have mostly the same answers which is a good sign :spin: i'll discuss the discrepancies we have and justify my answers, if you like you can do the same - it would be good to have a 100% correct list:

10. I have NFI could be anything and you may be right, i think it was a stupid question that would fit more in a CSSA trial =P. The girl ranked second in our class managed to justify B pretty well, we both thought that a team leader is probably not going to be involved in actually making anything and she thought that because of that it was a schedule.

11. Desk check it. The If statements in A are nested (is that correct term here?) so A would not work properly as if the temperature is above 50 it will not check if its greater than 100.

13. As i said im not exactly sure but you thought it was D and imho if you are merging two seperate files they should each be inputs into one procedure which merges them - not two seperate procedures. My only concern with this question is its not exactly easy to sort a magnetic tape rofl, but it did specify sorting each file and then merged into a direct access so that rules out A and B and from what i explained above D too.

Last edited:

timinator1993

HSC
12 was the "The system is tested by running it for 24 hours under closely controlled conditions.". 13 was the flow chart question.

@Timinator: Sorry im not trying to attack your answers haha we have mostly the same answers which is a good sign :spin: i'll discuss the discrepancies we have and justify my answers, if you like you can do the same - it would be good to have a 100% correct list:

10. I have NFI could be anything and you may be right, i think it was a stupid question that would fit more in a CSSA trial =P. The girl ranked second in our class managed to justify B pretty well, we both thought that a team leader is probably not going to be involved in actually making anything and she thought that because of that it was a schedule.

11. Desk check it. The If statements in A are nested (is that correct term here?) so A would not work properly as if the temperature is above 50 it will not check if its greater than 100.

13. As i said im not exactly sure but you thought it was D and imho if you are merging two seperate files they should each be inputs into one procedure which merges them - not two seperate procedures. My only concern with this question is its not exactly easy to sort a magnetic tape rofl, but it did specify sorting each file and then merged into a direct access so that rules out A and B and from what i explained above D too.
With the merging one, wouldnt the idea of the 'merge' process be to actually merge them? Hence the input would be two, and the output 1?

Also yea 10 was gay dont even know and 11 I cant even remember, but I got minimum 17 anyway so yay :)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
With the merging one, wouldnt the idea of the 'merge' process be to actually merge them? Hence the input would be two, and the output 1?
Exactly, with your answer there is two seperate merge procedures that each have one input and go into one single data access. I think it makes more sense if there is one procedure for merging that has two inputs and 1 output.

Haha yeah but im pretty happy, looks like i will be getting atleast 18 = )

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A

Yeah 10. would be schedule, because the project leader doesn't really have any skills in coding or designing, but rather organises the team to work efficiently.

11. Was C If i recall correctly, it has > 100 and < 50 the others had <= signs or had the > the other way round.

13. I wasn't sure either but I put A.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
11. Was C If i recall correctly, it has > 100 and < 50 the others had <= signs or had the > the other way round.
Haha i guess 13 remains a mystery? But im pretty sure for 11 thats wrong = S. This was what C was (without indentation muahahaha)
Code:
IF temperature > 100 THEN
display warning
IF temperature < 50 THEN
display warning
ELSE
ENDIF
ELSE
ENDIF
The second if for if temperature < 50, like with A, was inside of the first selection and thus it would be completely skipped if the temperature was less than 100. There should have been an "else" before that second if.

D had a "If temperature >= 50 then" but it was correct as the question stated below 50 and the display warning was in the else part, so it was correct even though it might not look it at first.

Edit: Oh and actually i stick with C for 13. You can't have two different sets of data going into a sort, doesn't seem right.

Last edited:

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Haha i guess 13 remains a mystery? But im pretty sure for 11 thats wrong = S. This was what C was (without indentation muahahaha)
Code:
display warning
IF temperature < 50 THEN
display warning
ELSE
ENDIF
ELSE
ENDIF
The second if for if temperature < 50, like with A, was inside of the first selection and thus it would be completely skipped if the temperature was less than 100. There should have been an "else" before that second if.

D had a "If temperature >= 50 then" but it was correct as the question stated below 50 and the display warning was in the else part, so it was correct even though it might not look it at first.

Edit: Oh and actually i stick with C for 13. You can't have two different sets of data going into a sort, doesn't seem right.
Lol wtf :( But the questions said BELOW 50 and ABOVE 100. meaning that it shouldn't display a wanring if the temp is = to those values which D would. Man why cam i getting the feeling BOS farked up on it? God dam nested if >< I don't think I saw that.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Lol wtf :( But the questions said BELOW 50 and ABOVE 100. meaning that it shouldn't display a wanring if the temp is = to those values which D would. Man why cam i getting the feeling BOS farked up on it? God dam nested if >< I don't think I saw that.
You are just getting a bit mixed up with the logic, desk check it if you need to.

This was D:
Code:
          display warning
ELSE
         IF temperature >= 50 THEN
         ELSE
                display warning
         ENDIF
ENDIF
You can see in that code that if it is above 100 it will display a warning and that if the temperature is greater then or equal to 50 it will do nothing, that means if the temperature is BELOW 50 it will display the warning.

Last edited:

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
You are just getting a bit mixed up with the logic, desk check it if you need to.

This was D:
Code:
          display warning
ELSE
         IF temperature >= 50 THEN
         ELSE
                display warning
         ENDIF
ENDIF
You can see in that code that if it is above 100 it will display a warning and that if the temperature is greater then or equal to 50 it will do nothing, that means if the temperature is BELOW 50 it will display the warning.
Ah yeah D is correct. Sorry I don't have the paper on me so I couldn't see it to clarify. Dam O wells 1 mark gone and possibly the system flow chart mark.. that's still 18/20 :D

What Sort did you say that MPC question was?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Ah yeah D is correct. Sorry I don't have the paper on me so I couldn't see it to clarify. Dam O wells 1 mark gone and possibly the system flow chart mark.. that's still 18/20 :D

What Sort did you say that MPC question was?
Sort was selection (D). You could see from the data that the largest element had been moved to the front and thus it was being placed in descending order and that the results were not bubbling up/down so that eliminated A and B as it couldn't have been a bubble sort. So you are left with Insertion and Selection sorts. The data for the second pass next to the insertion sort option was identical to the first pass so that whole option was not possible since no sorting was occuring. That left D - selection sort and if you look at the data next to it you could see that the second highest element had been moved up to the second position so that confirmed it was correct.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Sort was selection (D). You could see from the data that the largest element had been moved to the front and thus it was being placed in descending order and that the results were not bubbling up/down so that eliminated A and B as it couldn't have been a bubble sort. So you are left with Insertion and Selection sorts. The data for the second pass next to the insertion sort option was identical to the first pass so that whole option was not possible since no sorting was occuring. That left D - selection sort and if you look at the data next to it you could see that the second highest element had been moved up to the second position so that confirmed it was correct.
Ah Thank God :) knew I was right. Lol when I first saw it I knew it was selection as the two highest numbers were sorted on the far left. But I stupidly put Bubblesort, and then I went back to it at the end and actually checked it and was SHIITTTT It's selection and changed it to Selection :D

JGodbout

HSC
Nope, sorry bro. The answer was [C], insertion sort.

The sorted section of the array was (6 4), and the unsorted section was (2 5 3), and since the 2 is lower than 6 and 4, it does not move. The array is not sorted during the second pass.

The second pass of a selection sort on (6 4 2 5 3) would go to (6 5 2 4 3), but in the [D] choice, they gave the array as (6 5 4 2 3).

You should have studied your sorts better!

JGodbout

HSC
My multiple choice

1.A
2.A
3.C
4.B
5.D
6.D
7.D
8.A
9.D
10.D
11.A
12.C
13.C
14.D
15.C
16.C
17.B
18.B
19.A
20.C

Questions of interest:

Question 6 - I don't think that modifying code to meet changing requirements is a big part of maintenance. I think that that is part of releasing new main versions of software (as a new product most likely), rather than maintenance. I understood that part of "supporting users" is taking bug reports and fixing errors, so I chose [D].

[C] might be the correct answer though, I wasn't 100% sure with this one.

Question 10 - Pretty sure that it's

Question 11 - Pretty sneaky, but definitely [D]

Question 12 - Retarded question, it's not benchmarking (what numerical data are we getting about out software? what numerical data of another software are we getting to compare it to??), it's not desk checking (obv., we are running the code for 24 hours to see if it works, we aren't checking through all of the variables and controls by hand to see if it is correct), and it's not syntax checking (obv.)

That leaves only [C] - Logic testing. The only problem is that "logic testing" as a term does not mean anything, and is never used. But I still think that it is the most correct answer, since the others are so wrong. My teacher agrees with me here.

Question 13 - Obviously [A] and [D] are incorrect (merge needs to take two inputs and produce 1 output). Between and [C], it's hard to tell which is correct, because the question is not very specific about whether to "sort the files and store them, and then merge", or just "sort the contents of the file (without storing), and then merge)". But, since stores the merged data into a magnetic tape, and [C] stores it in a direct access file, as the question asked for, [C] is the correct answer.

Question 16 - Sneaky question, look at it closely and you will see that it is an insertion sort.

Pretty solid paper overall, imo.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
My multiple choice

1.A
2.A
3.C
4.B
5.D
6.D
7.D
8.A
9.D
10.D
11.A
12.C
13.C
14.D
15.C
16.C
17.B
18.B
19.A
20.C

Questions of interest:

Question 6 - I don't think that modifying code to meet changing requirements is a big part of maintenance. I think that that is part of releasing new main versions of software (as a new product most likely), rather than maintenance. I understood that part of "supporting users" is taking bug reports and fixing errors, so I chose [D].

Question 12 - Retarded question, it's not benchmarking (what numerical data are we getting about out software? what numerical data of another software are we getting to compare it to??), it's not desk checking (obv., we are running the code for 24 hours to see if it works, we aren't checking through all of the variables and controls by hand to see if it is correct), and it's not syntax checking (obv.)

That leaves only [C] - Logic testing. The only problem is that "logic testing" as a term does not mean anything, and is never used. But I still think that it is the most correct answer, since the others are so wrong. My teacher agrees with me here.

Question 13 - Obviously [A] and [D] are incorrect (merge needs to take two inputs and produce 1 output). Between and [C], it's hard to tell which is correct, because the question is not very specific about whether to "sort the files and store them, and then merge", or just "sort the contents of the file (without storing), and then merge)". But, since stores the merged data into a magnetic tape, and [C] stores it in a direct access file, as the question asked for, [C] is the correct answer.

Question 16 - Sneaky question, look at it closely and you will see that it is an insertion sort.

Mate qs 12 is definitely benchmarking. It's performing a stress test to see how long the system can run for under normal operating temperatures, to see if it can be certified to ensure maximum quality over prolong periods of use. Just admit that you're wrong. It's okay.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Questions of interest:

6- Textbooks and even wikipedia seem to stress that maintenance is about changing requirements
10-Agree
11-Agree
12-Nope, its benchmarking because as mrbrightside said its a stress test. Logic test is just checking the logic which wouldnt change after how ever many hours, so benchmarking is most correct answer.
13-Agree, i used similiar logic to tackle this question
16-You seem to be right. I was under the impression that selection sorts didn't swap and that insertion built up the sorted part one at a time but c is probably the correct answer.

JGodbout

HSC
12-Nope, its benchmarking because as mrbrightside said its a stress test. Logic test is just checking the logic which wouldnt change after how ever many hours, so benchmarking is most correct answer.
Yes, it probably would be best defined as a stress test. But benchmarking is definitely not stress testing. The situation lacks key features of benchmarking, mainly comparing results (usually numerical) to another product. Without that, it is simply not benchmarking.

First line from wiki: "Benchmarking is the process of comparing one's business processes and performance metrics to industry bests and/or best practices from other industries."

From the dictionary: "Evaluate or check (something) by comparison with a standard: "we are benchmarking our performance against external criteria"."

We can see here that it is not benchmarking.

And yeah, you're probably right with Q6.

4C55554C5A

HSC
Definitely an insertion sort. Selection sorts use a swap function, which if you compare where the items should be results in a different set of data. The insertion sort appears the same, but that's because that item was already in the correct place of the sorted part.

Agree, benchmarking question was stupid. That was definitely not benchmarking - but now I can see that was probably the best answer. I put logic testing, because I thought that would be closest, regret that now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)