Multiple Choice: Q9 (1 Viewer)

The christian churches strongly supported australia's involvement in which conflict?

• World war 1

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • World war 2

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • The Vietnam War

Votes: 9 14.8%
  • The War in Iraq

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
i think this is the question that's hassling people: what did you put down as the right answer?

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
WW2 in my opinion mainly cause even if some denominations supported vietnam war most quickly were against it if not against it from the start

nattylee

HSC
i put wwII coz it sounded logical, and the christain churches were divided about ww1.my teacher thinks that was the answer anyway...so thats wot im hoping

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
nattylee said:
i put wwII coz it sounded logical, coz the date they mentioned in the q was 1947, and the war was 39-45 so i presume thats the answer...thats wot my teacher reckons anyway, even she was unsure of that answer. it was a gay question to be honest
I think you have the questions mixed up, we are talking about q 9 not q 10. Anyways for q 10 i put The White Australia Policy caused a decrease in Buddhist numbers from 1901-1947

melly_b

Yes because the churches rallied after a few yrs in Vietnam... to end it...

So world war II cause the war was closer to home

ZabZu

HSC
It was the Vietnam War i reckon because remember it was a battle against Communism (an athiest idea). All the Churches supported the war at first but then when it was discovered that the US and South Vietnamese armies were losing, they were against it.

Oz

HSC
i'd put ww2 because their was no serious objections about that war due to the threat to australia. however straight after the exam one of our teachers (who has a masters in theolgy) said it was vietnam

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
I put ww2 for the same reasons as oz, but then again they did support ww1 as well (just the compulsory conscription bit is a bit debatable) and they supported vietnaw too because communism is evil, d should have been an 'all of the above option' =/

alby

cool duckie
HSC
im almost positive it wasnt ww1, caus the church was against conscription...& im pretty sure they werent happy about iraq either
i put vietnam..caus of communism

mikeryan69

HSC
N/A
lol

people are so nieve lol
it was WW1 i would bet anyone on it.....
it definatly was not world war 2, not vietnam
ww1 everyone thinks that catholic church opposed it.......LOL
catholic church support the war and provided support because catholic nations were being attacked, much like vietnam as the south was catholic, BUT vietnam was divided, WW1 was not divided as each of the denominations supported to war. it was not WW2

Last edited:

jen23

i checked 3 text books and asked all 3 religion teachers and no one was positive of the answer. i put WWI cause i thought while Mannix in melbourne was apposed to conscription, he wasnt apposed to the war. in WWII the methodists were strongly against it. at least in WWI no whole variant/denomination was against it

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
people are so nieve lol
it was WW1 i would bet anyone on it.....
it definatly was not world war 2, not vietnam
ww1 everyone thinks that catholic church opposed it.......LOL
catholic church support the war and provided support because catholic nations were being attacked, much like vietnam as the south was catholic, BUT vietnam was divided, WW1 was not divided as each of the denominations supported to war. it was not WW2
i checked 3 text books and asked all 3 religion teachers and no one was positive of the answer. i put WWI cause i thought while Mannix in melbourne was apposed to conscription, he wasnt apposed to the war. in WWII the methodists were strongly against it. at least in WWI no whole variant/denomination was against it
mannix was opposed to war 1 as he described it a British trade war..... hence his opposition to conscription and dont forget the vote for/against conscription was defeated narrowly twice (1916 and 1917) because of the religious vote led by Mannix.

Technically all of the answers are wrong but the 'least wrong one' is WW2 (I think) as no-one really spoke out against it as such. (note: groups like the SDA's and the Methodists did speak out as did many individual priests and bishops) It has nothing to do with Catholic nations etc (remember that the vatican was mysteriously silent during WW2)......the question was about 'Christian Churches' so it was really a majority thing not the biggest minority.

I

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Yes my biggest reason for not picking WW1 was the fact that it was rejected twice in the votes yet catholics werent the majority at that time, hence other denominations also must have voted no. That was my reasoning anyways

superbird

HSC
in world war 1- 75% of methodists were against it, 9 protestant ministers signed a manifesto against the war.
in world war 2- was generally supported though there were more pacifists such as the Jehovah's witnesses (but who cares about them neway :p)
id say the most correct answer tho is WW2

f_jba15

its wwII I READ it b4 the exam because overseas was attacking us directly so they christian ppl decided that since its occuring directly in our country we cant sit bak and just watch.. DEFINITLEY IT WAS NOT vietnam war everyone was aginst it

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
Initially both catholics and protestants (im talking the majority not individuals) agreed with vietnam, it was only over time that peace movements developed

dave_119

Banned
HSC
it was vietnam.. because ww2 involved lutherans!! (german) they were against the war,. therefore leaving vietnam

SamuelB

HSC
I'm quite sure the answer will be World War I. My reasons: Generally all denominations supported the war itself because they thought it would be over soon, and wanted to show loyalty to the british empire (especially protestants).

I say it isn't World War II because unlike the first war, they were under no dissalusions about the horrible conditions of war and loyalty for the British empire was steadily decreasing = less support for the war itself, even churches didn't oppose some form of limited conscription.

Also, I say it isn't Vietnam war because churches didn't take as much part in the debate as trade unions and other political organisations/parties. And by the end, not only churches, but pretty much all of Australia wanted the troops to come home.

Don't get support for the war itself confused with support for Conscription (which the question didn't mention) is my final point. Anyone see where I'm coming from?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)