Multiple Choice from SamD, Option topic: Paradigms (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Regarding question 10 from set 9B.

Here's the question.

Walter is employed by a computer company that develops financial models for the stocks and bonds industry. It is Walters responsibility to add to a knowledge base contained within the system. Which type of system would Walter most likely be workhig with?

(A) An expert System
(B) A hierachal system
(C) An expert system shell
(D) A relational system
The suggested answer in the PDF file Sam Davis has kindly allowed us to access says the answer is "(A)"

Upon reading the question it says 'It is Walters responsibility to add to a knowledge base contained within the system.'

It says in the textbook that "Expert systems cannot learn new information."

Reading onwards about Expert System Shells it says "Facts, rules and probabilities of events occurring are entered into a knowledge base."

From the question it wants me to decide which system Walter will most likely be working with. and because he is required to add to the knowledge base I thought that the answer would be an Expert System Shell instead of the suggested answer of an Expert System.

Can you clarify this SamD?

Or have I just made some silly mis-interpretation?

SamD

HSC
N/A
An expert system shell is the software application that uses the knowledge base. The knowledge base is essentially a database containing all the facts, rules and probabilities. Together the expert system shell and the knowledge base form the essential components of an expert system. An expert system does not learn by itself, rather somebody, eg. Walter, enters the knowledge known by a human expert into the system.

As Walter is adding stuff to the knowledge base then he is more correctly working with the expert system rather than the expert system shell. Users who interrogate the expert system for answers would do so via the expert system shell.

HTH
Sam

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
But I thought the facts and rules can only be added to the knowledge base via an expert system shell?

It is the expert system shell that performs the calculations. walter is merely a worker who works to add the facts and rules that an expert system can calculate.

Or are you saying the expert system is the for example the largest part of the system and the shell is simply a smaller part inside the system that performs a job. And thus this expert system shell is part of the expert system.

So you can say that he is working with the expert system. I don't think i was that clear but i tried to explain best i can.

I would have thought the expert system shell to be a more precise answer.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
It's in the option topic "Evolution of programming languages".

You might be doing the other topic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)