• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Multiple Choice=FML (1 Viewer)

umz93

HSC
Hi guys.

In all my physics practice papers/trials i have noticed that the multiple choice is what screws me over. In the short time that is left until the 2011 Physics HSC exam, what can I do to improve this.
Plz help.

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you read the question carefully? do you understand your concepts properly? test your understanding of the concepts in different situations.

umz93

HSC
I read the question carefully and Im pretty sure I understand the majority of the concepts correctly as I can answer them fully in section 2. However in Multiple choice I often get stuck between two answers which are really close :/.

Official

Bring it on
HSC
MC is sometimes a drag, I think you just need more practice, that is all

just a question, which mc questions for phys have youb een attempting?

umz93

HSC
Well I usually do trial papers that my school gave- CSSA/Independent/QATS. However i was just doing 2009 HSC paper and for some reason I made alot of mistakes which made me have a major panic attack.

Bobbo1

HSC
dont worry too much about trials m/c except maybe be cssa, because most of them are either poorly worded, ambiguos or sometimes just wrong altogether...

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Make sure you familiarise yourself with as many MC questions as you can.

Most are usually pretty straight forward.

Do you know WHY you are getting them wrong? If you are unsure as to why the answer is what it is, make sure you post them up here and we can help you out.

There often are 2 'correct' answers in MC, but one is more 'correct' than the other. As, generally one of the correct answers applies more to the question, often the second 'correct' answer is a correct statement, just does not address the question entirely.

If you are stuck and cannot distinguish between the two, write 'go back to MC' at the end of section B (after the last core question,where the option questions are listed) and go on to complete Section B and maybe something in there will jog your memory or help you make sense of it. At the end of section B, you will have the 'go back to MC' to remind you to go back

Last edited:

umz93

HSC
Thanks, i have been getting around 4-5 m.c wrong per paper, approximately where do i stand?
Also could you please explain Hsc 2005 mc Q5 & 2009 Q6- If you know them. Thanks

chamath123

HSC
hey mate just keep doing them over and over, that's the way i improved, hope it helps

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks, i have been getting around 4-5 m.c wrong per paper, approximately where do i stand?
Also could you please explain Hsc 2005 mc Q5 & 2009 Q6- If you know them. Thanks
With 2005 Q5:
He has increased the angle and seeing as they are being launched at the same speed, he has therefore increased the vertical component of velocity, hence the projectile will go higher and it will therefore have a longer time of flight.

So, the answer is (C)

Why is it not (A) or (B)??

If you do Mathematics, you will be familiar with the trig equations for projectile motion, namely:

Seeing as:

then any values of angles equally above/below from 45 will give the same range.

i.e., 40 is 5 degrees below 45, hence it will have the same range as 5 degrees above 45, which is 50 (assuming it ends with 0 vertical displacement)
likewise 35 and 55 will be the same, as will 30 and 60 etc..

For 2009 Q6:

The output of a generator depends on faradays law:

So basically, you need to increase the rate of change of flux. One way of doing this is by making the coil spin faster, hence the answer is (A)

Last edited:

umz93

HSC
hey mate just keep doing them over and over, that's the way i improved, hope it helps
Yeah, im gonna do at least 3 tests on the BOS multiple choice website until hsc/questions start repeating.

umz93

HSC
With 2005 Q5:
He has increased the angle and seeing as they are being launched at the same speed, he has therefore increased the vertical component of velocity, hence the projectile will go higher and it will therefore have a longer time of flight.

So, the answer is (C)

Why is it not (A) or (B)??

If you do Mathematics, you will be familiar with the trig equations for projectile motion, namely:

Seeing as:

then any values of angles equally above/below from 45 will give the same range.

i.e., 40 is 5 degrees below 45, hence it will have the same range as 5 degrees above 45, which is 50 (assuming it ends with 0 vertical displacement)
likewise 35 and 55 will be the same, as will 30 and 60 etc..

For 2009 Q6:

The output of a generator depends on faradays law:

So basically, you need to increase the rate of change of flux. One way of doing this is by making the coil spin faster, hence the answer is (A)
Thank you so much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)