Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (2 Viewers)

davin

HSC
N/A
see, this just proves a point i had elsewhere earlier...you want to be taken seriously in a discussion about something political, then type with proper spelling and grammar in mind.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
u know wat i reckon..................not all muslims r terrorists---------- n those who r terrorists arent following islam the right way...............i mean........all da normal muslims know dat committing suicide, damaging property n killing others is completely forbbiden in islam..........so wat da hell hell do these crazy terrorists think they r doing........a "good deed". like seriously wat freaks..............they r totally putting da reputation of muslims down da drain...............i hope all these psycho terrorists die!!!!!!!!for da sake of da normal muslims
Please don't write like that in here.

tiya

I live in Homebush but i go to school in the city
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
If you can't accept jokes about your religion that's your problem - no one elses. Your religion is a belief and like any belief it can be criticised by others. I don't really care that you or any of these muslims take their religion 'seriously', I take my criticism of their religion seriously too.

edit: By the way, as davin pointed out.. they are not simply 'jokes'. Their purpose is to make a brash statement about a topic in a politically incorrect fashion in order to be attention-grabbing while also making a subtle point. For example, you can look at the picture of muhammed with a bomb as his turbin and say 'they're saying all muslims are terrorists!' or you can look at it and say (I imagine this is closer to the case) that it was pointing out how muhammed's teachings have been manipulated to suit the purpose of these terrorists.

Actually there was very little reaction, as with most satirical comics which are placed within newspapers criticising others in an overt way - there were critics... However it did not recieve this crazy reception until some muslims whom were banned from denmark started to spread rumours about it etc...

In their case - the state is at fault... state-run/heavily controlled media.

I don't get this? Because we don't live in the 'ideal world' we should abandon notions of free speech? We've fought a long time for this and will continue to fight for it - this is not a negotiable thing in our society.

The only reason that we have such a great country is due to the freedoms we have granted our citizens... The backlash from the middle east in response to these cartoons has been a direct attack against those freedoms. They argue against the society which has given them the right to argue against society :/

Well... that might have a bit more clout when you're a child, or living in a fundamentalist country with strict controls on information.... However when you're living in Australia - and you're an adult - you do have real choice.

Yes - Every religion has their share of idiots (even those in power). By the way, what did we do to hitler when he came out against out society? :)

Probably, but the muslims on BOS are not the muslim consensus of the world.

- u know what? I agree with what you've said and nice deconstruction btw :p

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
wtf? r u mocking me u freak??? do i like like a bimbo to u :(
i reken j00 gust prooved hiz point har har har u iz a freak!

Collin

HSC
N/A
These violent protests are disgusting.

But to be honest, I'm not exactly supportive of these publications either. We all have right to freedom of thought, but freedom of speech is a farce. There are tons of 'issues' which are politically sensitive. For example, advocacy of racist groups such as the KKK is not politically correct. Hence freedom of speech shouldn't even be used to justify these publications, for true freedom of speech isn't even part of our society. If such was actively encouraged legitimately, we'd be living in a fucked place.
Secondly, some of these cartoons are just downright insensitive and quite unnecessarily inflammatory. One cartoon, which depicts Mohammad's turban as a bomb obviously attempts toward a sly generalisation that Muslims in general are terrorists. No wonder they're angry, considering true followers of Islam know that the religion doesn't boast affinity for terrorism in any sense of the word (hence the notion of an 'Islamic terrorist' is oxymoric).
If anything, I just think we have alot of xenophobic people around, boasting clear dislike of Muslims using the old immunity card of 'freedom of speech' to justify these cartoons.

So in conclusion, it would help alot if the Muslims learnt to relax a bit over the issue, but these cartoons were clearly unnecessary in the first place.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
For example, advocacy of racist groups such as the KKK is not politically correct. Hence freedom of speech shouldn't even be used to justify these publications, for true freedom of speech isn't even part of our society. If such was actively encouraged legitimately, we'd be living in a fucked place.
That's because racism is an unjustified position, however criticism of religion is a justified position - you cannot criticise a race.

Secondly, some of these cartoons are just downright insensitive and quite unnecessarily inflammatory. One cartoon, which depicts Mohammad's turban as a bomb obviously attempts toward a sly generalisation that Muslims in general are terrorists.
I've suggested that the purpose of the cartoon was the illustrate the way in which muhammed's teachings have been hijacked by these terrorists - it seems to fit in better with the nature of the article it accompanied.

No wonder they're angry, considering true followers of Islam know that the religion doesn't boast affinity for terrorism in any sense of the word (hence the notion of an 'Islamic terrorist' is oxymoric).
So they're comming out and threatening us with terrorist actions?

If anything, I just think we have alot of xenophobic people around, boasting clear dislike of Muslims using the old immunity card of 'freedom of speech' to justify these cartoons.
I think there are quite a few of these people, however I also don't think that's true of all people.

So in conclusion, it would help alot if the Muslims learnt to relax a bit over the issue, but these cartoons were clearly unnecessary in the first place.
Alot of cartoons are 'unnecessary', they still get published for the purpose of making some brazen politically-incorrect statement, drawing attention to the article etc. I would no doubt be in support of the muslims in this case whom were out-raged, and expressed this outrage peacefully (however I would probably still say they're not that bad)...

Collin

HSC
N/A
We're not talking about if critisising religions is politically correct or not. We both know the answer to that. The main point is these cartoons want to assert Muslims in general as terrorists, a generalisation seemingly bred out of xenophobia (that's the only way it can make sense to me; proper rationale would never result in such ill-conceived assertions). People can say whatever they wish about Islam, but the issue here is generalising attributes of the religion against all members, attributes which aren't even correct in the first place.

I think there are quite a few of these people, however I also don't think that's true of all people.
Of course not. I would never dare staple down such generalisations.. unlike certain cartoons floating around at the moment. The point is if it's accepted that many people are indeed motivated by these xenophobic thoughts, then obviously we're gonna have alot of biased non-sensical arguments in here (erm.. usually from those people of course). Which should be true of course, since again, we're talking about generalising Muslims in general as terrorists.. a notion most absurd. E.g, the person who penned that cartoon obviously was an ignorant douche.

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
seriosly how many jews do we have here ??

HSC
JKDDragon said:
We're not talking about if critisising religions is politically correct or not. We both know the answer to that. The main point is these cartoons want to assert Muslims in general as terrorists, a generalisation seemingly bred out of xenophobia (that's the only way it can make sense to me; proper rationale would never result in such ill-conceived assertions). People can say whatever they wish about Islam, but the issue here is generalising attributes of the religion against all members, attributes which aren't even correct in the first place.

Of course not. I would never dare staple down such generalisations.. unlike certain cartoons floating around at the moment. The point is if it's accepted that many people are indeed motivated by these xenophobic thoughts, then obviously we're gonna have alot of biased non-sensical arguments in here (erm.. usually from those people of course). Which should be true of course, since again, we're talking about generalising Muslims in general as terrorists.. a notion most absurd. E.g, the person who penned that cartoon obviously was an ignorant douche.
How is calling Muslims terrorists any different from asserting that all capitalists are fat greedy pricks, or that all communists are grubby arts students with long hair?

EDIT: Oh such a shame this account never got used for what it was intended, eh collin? :(

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
HSC
THE AUSTRALIAN

February 7, 2006 Tuesday

Where is the Muslim outrage about real hate speech?

Tim Blair

Leading Australian blogger Tim Blair, at timblair.net, published the 12 Danish cartoons of Mohammed yesterday

AUSTRALIANS have received their orders. According to The Sydney Morning Herald: ''A senior Islamic cleric has called on Australia's media not to publish the cartoons which have sparked riots across the Muslim world. Sheik Fehmi El-Imam, the general-secretary of the Board of Imams of Victoria, warned reprinting the cartoons here could disturb people who can do things that we don't want them to do. In some parts of the world there is rioting against the Danish and the Dutch, we don't want that in Australia, the sheik said today. Unfortunately, New Zealand has [published the cartoons] ... I'm trying to avoid, to put far away, any possibility of disturbing the peace in Australia.''

Odd that this concern over maintaining the peace doesn't limit Muslim commentary on other religions or communities. The Islamic Bookstore in Lakemba, for example, sells the vicious anti-Semitic tract The Protocols of the Elders of Zion as well as various anti-Christian titles (Crucifixion -- or Cruci-FICTION?).

Sheik Khalid Yasin, a regular guest lecturer in Australia, declared that ''there's no such thing as a Muslim having a non-Muslim friend'' and denounced modern clothes as the work of ''faggots, homosexuals and lesbians''; Christians, he said, deliberately infected Africans with AIDS. Yasin wouldn't merely draw cartoons of homosexuals -- he'd have them put to death in accordance with Koranic law. One imam told Australian students that Jews put poison in bananas. Iraqis voting in their country's elections were shot at and otherwise intimidated by Islamic extremists whose banners announced: ''You vote, you die''. These friends of free speech were also observed photographing those who dared vote. Sheikh Feiz Muhammad told a supportive Bankstown crowd last year that women deserve to be raped if they wore ''satanical'' garments, including anything ''strapless, backless, [or] sleeveless'', and also ''miniskirts [and] tight jeans''.

All of this is far more hateful and moronic than those 12 Danish cartoons, not one of which depicts the Muslim prophet eating babies, poisoning fruit or infecting Africans with AIDS. Far from being against hate-speech, many Muslim spokesmen seem to be aggressively for it; until, of course, someone contemplates publishing harmless drawings of an old beardy guy.

Swedish feminist Nalin Pekgul, in The Wall Street Journal, laments that Islamists are driving moderate Muslims out of Europe:

WHEN I was 13 years old, my family had to flee Turkey for political reasons. My father fought for the Kurdish peoples' human rights. We came to Sweden in 1980 and, like many other Muslim immigrants, settled down in Tensta, a Stockholm suburb. We had unemployment and prejudices that led to ethnic tensions. But we also had happy children and ambitious young people with bright hopes for the future.

I stayed in Tensta as an adult, even though I could have afforded to move to a more prosperous neighbourhood. This led to accusations that I lived there just because it's ''politically correct''. I never chose to live in Tensta to improve my image. The only reason I didn't want to leave was that for 25 years Tensta was my home. Many of my closest friends live there. If my children got sick and we didn't have any medicine at home, there were always so many families around us to ask for help. This gave me an enormous feeling of security -- a feeling most people who choose to live where their roots are probably know.

Unfortunately, the neighbourhood I called my home for so many years has changed. It's no longer the familiar place it used to be and, most importantly, I no longer feel safe in Tensta. The influence of Islamic fundamentalists has grown so much that it is now impossible for me and my family to live there any more. I'm tired of being expected to speak badly of Christians and Jews just because I'm Muslim. I'm tired of the hate preachers. I'm tired of seeing women condemned for the way they dress. I don't want my daughter to be exposed to this type of aggression in the future. So I will soon have to leave Tensta.

National Party senator Barnaby Joyce, on the ABC's AM yesterday, says the man on the street is not interested in the AWB saga:

IT'S an argument that'll be big in Canberra and amount to absolutely nothing on the street, you know. It's one of those typical Canberra things that's an argument for the elite and not for the street. I welcome the Labor Party to spend as much possible time on that issue, and to go, to run with that for the next six or seven months, because they're just wasting their time. The more time they spend on that will just suit us fine because it's just not grabbing out there. Ask anybody at your local service station how they feel about AWB's wheat deals in Iraq, and they'll say, 'Look, I don't even think about it at all.'

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Alot of cartoons are 'unnecessary', they still get published for the purpose of making some brazen politically-incorrect statement, drawing attention to the article etc. I would no doubt be in support of the muslims in this case whom were out-raged, and expressed this outrage peacefully (however I would probably still say they're not that bad)...
I think those are pretty bad, cos otherwise you wont see such violence. But the cartoons are unnecessary, other cartoons are criticisms, where as this one is pure insulting.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
tempco said:
Yikes, 7%? That's pretty high. There's approximately 1.6 million Muslims in the UK... I mean even if 1% of Muslims voted, that's 1,120 Muslims who think that innocent people deserved to die.
who u callin innocent? its not easy to kill someone. and ppl dont kill just like tat, not at least 1000 ppl.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
moonlight_angel said:
as well as various anti-Christian titles (Crucifixion -- or Cruci-FICTION?).
that book was written by a guy called ahmed deedat. he is a islamic scholar on christianity (hehe, sounds strange huh?) anyway, here are two websites. one is his homepage. see he's not a bad person after all, he let you read his books, one of them being the above mentioned book, for free!

also there is another page which has Videos of debates made between ahmed deedat and christian evangelists, one of them the well known Jimmy Swaggart.

from these websites you can notice how "anti-christian" he is, and you will also have more than enough reasons as to why he has his stance on christianity. i doubt the article writer actually read anything about the book, he just looked at the cover.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
veterandoggy said:
that book was written by a guy called ahmed deedat. he is a islamic scholar on christianity (hehe, sounds strange huh?) anyway, here are two websites. one is his homepage. see he's not a bad person after all, he let you read his books, one of them being the above mentioned book, for free!

also there is another page which has Videos of debates made between ahmed deedat and christian evangelists, one of them the well known Jimmy Swaggart.

from these websites you can notice how "anti-christian" he is, and you will also have more than enough reasons as to why he has his stance on christianity. i doubt the article writer actually read anything about the book, he just looked at the cover.
typical, dont judge without knowing full knowledge.

davin

HSC
N/A
is anyone else angry that one of the cartoons obviously says that all muslims keep oranges on their heads?

and i'm not Jewish, but I recall that i had matza once

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)