Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (1 Viewer)

get_born

Articles:
Jihad Against Danish Newspaper

Islam is no laughing matter. The Danish newspaper is being protected by security guards and several cartoonists have gone into hiding after the newspaper published a series of twelve cartoons about the prophet Muhammad. According to the Islam it is blasphemous to make images of the prophet. Muslim fundamentalists have threatened to bomb the paper’s offices and kill the cartoonists.

The newspaper published the cartoons when a Danish author complained that he could find no-one to illustrate his book about Muhammad. Jyllands-Posten wondered whether there were more cases of self-censorship regarding Islam in Denmark and asked twelve illustrators to draw the prophet for them. Carsten Juste, the paper’s editor, said the cartoons were a test of whether the threat of Islamic terrorism had limited the freedom of expression in Denmark.

The publication led to outrage among the Muslim immigrants living in Denmark. 5,000 of them took to the streets to protest. Muslim organisations have demanded an apology, but Juste rejects this idea: "We live in a democracy. That’s why we can use all the journalistic methods we want to. Satire is accepted in this country, and you can make caricatures," he said. The Danish imam Raed Hlayhel reacted with the statement "This type of democracy is worthless for Muslims. Muslims will never accept this kind of humiliation. The article has insulted every Muslim in the world."

Flemming Rose, the cultural editor at the newspaper, denied that the purpose had been to provoke Muslims. It was simply a reaction to the rising number of situations where artists and writers censored themselves out of fear of radical Islamists, he said. "Religious feelings cannot demand special treatment in a secular society," he added. "In a democracy one must from time to time accept criticism or becoming a laughingstock."

The affair, however, has also led to a incident. On Thursday the ambassadors of eleven Muslim countries, including Indonesia, a number of Arab states, Pakistan, Iran, and Bosnia-Herzegovina, complained about the cartoons in a letter to Prime Minister Anders Fogh Rasmussen. They say the publication of the cartoons is a "provocation" and demand apologies from the newspaper.

Jyllands-Posten was also included on an al-Qaeda website listing possible terrorist targets. An organisation which calls itself "The Glorious Brigades in Northern Europe" is circulating pictures on the internet which show bombs exploding over pictures of the newspaper and blood flowing over the national flag of Denmark. "The Mujahedeen have numerous targets in Denmark – very soon you all will regret this," the website says.

Meanwhile in Brussels a young Muslim immigrant published a poster depicting the Virgin Mary with naked breasts. Though the picture has drawn some protest from Catholics (though not from Western embassies, nor from the bishops), this artist need not fear being murdered in the street. On the contrary, he is being subsidised by the Ministry for Culture.

Last edited by a moderator:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Jihad Against Danish Newspaper

The muslims can go fuck themselves quite frankly. If they dislike freedom of speech they can move back to their aristo-fascist islamic states in the middle east.

get_born

its more like being disrespectful to a religious faith.

davin

HSC
N/A

last_chance said:
its more like being disrespectful to a religious faith.
whats that have to do with it? marketplace of ideas includes tolerating other ideas without, you know, threatening violence. i mean, its not like they boycotted or soemthing. that'd be different

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC

Flemming Rose, the cultural editor at the newspaper, denied that the purpose had been to provoke Muslims. It was simply a reaction to the rising number of situations where artists and writers censored themselves out of fear of radical Islamists, he said. “Religious feelings cannot demand special treatment in a secular society,” he added. “In a democracy one must from time to time accept criticism or becoming a laughingstock.”
awww, cmon. you can try provoking danish muslims in many ways, as i presme this is a danish paper. making fun of jesus (although sadly done a gazillion times) and saying that you didnt want to provoke christians just doesnt seem to fit. i know all they did was try to place a picture, but the way we've been raised it is enough of a provocation for muslims. bad choice of words on his behalf, and very bad choice of picture to publish.

and he is talking about the fear within his country right? now he has to fear alot more than his country...

davin

HSC
N/A

well, europe is feeling it that there is a group within the muslim community that does not want to be a part of european society

get_born

davin said:
whats that have to do with it? marketplace of ideas includes tolerating other ideas without, you know, threatening violence. i mean, its not like they boycotted or soemthing. that'd be different
Speaking of boycotting...the islamic community has put forward a proposal to the UN to stop this from happening to any other religions theres an article somewhere on the website on the link down below. Also they plan to boycott all products from Denmark that includes cheese, Kinder, andsome other major brands. And I was watching Al Jazeera a couple minutes ago and it turns out they gave in and apologised.

get_born

On top of it on Al Jazeera they've from what I understood anyway...put the Denmark building that published the charicatures on a website and placed like a bomb or something or stating their next - but I'm not sure how true the source is - as I haven't seen it or anything.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC

davin said:
All they want is an apology.

If the Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) is made fun of, or humiliated, u can always expect a protest from the Muslims, and the illustrators know this very well.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

And yet here in Australia, there's like an entire culture of making fun of Jesus,

eg. "Piss Christ", the, umm, 'art' piece consisting of a crucifix that had been urinated on.

But obviously, bombing is fair and reasonable retribution for, umm, drawing someone.

davin

HSC
N/A

what protest? its not 'protest' to threaten to blow up a building. its not 'protest' to murder people because they said something critial. Thats barbaric, not civilised.
I'm all for virtually anyone being able to say what they want, short of directly calling for violence, perhaps.
A protest would be if people cancelled subscriptions, wouldn't buy from companies advertising in the newspaper. That is a boycott. Now, protesting all of Denmark is just idiotic, considering its one company WITHIN the country that said something negative.

i'm not gonna say that all muslims were gonna blow the building up, but i would classify ANY who feel that way as uncivilised. I'd classify anyone that wants to silence someone with bombs as uncivilised.

danieljarvis

HSC

hah oh come on, dude before was right jesus cops shit continuously almost everywhere and christians dont go threatening shit.
thats fucking stupid, what if they draw some cartoons of charles darwin :O ill have to kill them.

“This type of democracy is worthless for Muslims. Muslims will never accept this kind of humiliation. The article has insulted every Muslim in the world.”

then dont live there.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC

withoutaface said:
The muslims can go fuck themselves quite frankly. If they dislike freedom of speech they can move back to their aristo-fascist islamic states in the middle east.
How about you go fuck yourself first.

HSC

No, if muslims can't handle freedom of speech they can go fuck themselves. It's sickening to see their reaction to anything that criticises their religion.

Go fuck yourselves, you pricks.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC

GoodSirLancelot said:
No, if muslims can't handle freedom of speech they can go fuck themselves. It's sickening to see their reaction to anything that criticises their religion.

I tell you what's more sickening u fuckwit, when ppl label jesus as being GAY and a Ghastly and most christains dont even give a shit...mate to be honest ppl of the islamic faith feel some form of connection to their religion which is why the give a shit. Most of you other cunts don't.

physician

Some things never change.
HSC

davin said:
what protest? its not 'protest' to threaten to blow up a building. its not 'protest' to murder people because they said something critial. Thats barbaric, not civilised.
Protest, i.e people speaking up, and the 5,000 people who went out and 'protested'

all the stuff about bombing or whatever is only big talk, no bombings have taken place, and the steps that have been taken are pritty reasonable (i.e the countries sending a letter asking for an apology)

i'm not gonna say that all muslims were gonna blow the building up, but i would classify ANY who feel that way as uncivilised. I'd classify anyone that wants to silence someone with bombs as uncivilised.
Once again, emotion often leads people to feel as though they want to rip someone and shred them into peices, but most people wouldnt take such action, realising it wont achieve much except more violence... but an apology will do just fine for most people...

HSC

From Wikipedia:

Islam

Kind of like the Mormonism of Arab religions, Islam (as in "I slam women to the ground and kick in their teeth for leaving the house") was created by a crazy guy who thought that his religion was a continuation of Christianity. Formed by the "prophet" Mohammed at least 100 years ago, Islam is supposed to be a continuation of God's word.

They call God Allah and read the Koran (Aramaic for "completely irrelevant history") instead of the Bible and instead of Moses or Jesus, their main guy is Mohammed.

Like its big brother Christianity, Islam is all about oppression, genocide, oppression of women, and Jihad. Unlike its distant creepy cousin, Judaism, Islam preaches tolerance and love, and lashes out against occupation of Palestine.

get_born

GoodSirLancelot said:

That is a really stupid thing to say! Muslims can handle freedom of expression, but not when it comes in the form of disrespect to the religion. If I was a Christian, Buddhist etc. I would feel the same way towards the religion. In fact mockery of any religion or faith is not freedom of expression - its anything but that. People are allowed to defend their views, but not in the form of violence. Plus that website thing might not be true - like i said the source may not be true. Besides, i reckon muslims have gone about it the right way with the proposal to the UN and the boycott.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)