• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Muhammad Cartoon Controversy (2 Viewers)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
transcendent said:
So here I am, left wing and all :rolleyes: reading that the right wing members have got it wrong again about the motives behind the Iraq war... could this be the best day of my life?
Should I post to rub it in your face every time labor gets it wrong?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm so sick of hearing that the cartoons aren't offensive. Ok , so they aren't offensive to YOU, we understand that. They dont hurt you emotionally. By now isnt is obvious that they are clearly offensive to others, and its not offensive to you because you dont beleive in the religion. Its simple.
I don't think people care if you find it offensive, they think you're being stupid by finding it offensive.

why is it offensive? IT HURTS US, because it would be as bad in your case if somebody hurt you emotionally, too.
Translation: Why is it offensive? Because it's offensive!

Or insulted somebody you love, care deeply about. Your mother, father, sisters, brothers, can you imagine? You will probably retort with something really cynical to this, but that's just expected.
Can you imagine if everyone carried on like this every time something they cared about was caricatured?

BUT dont go around inciting more hatred purely because you hate the religion.
I have tried to explain why it is such a big deal to insult a holy figure. We love Jesus, Mohammed, Abraham, all in the same measure. They are holy figures of God and it is sad that today insulting them is called on 'freedom of speech'. If you dont believe in them, then fine.
So what if you love them?! I don't care! I'm not even sure if two of them really existed!

I gave you an answer before, and you guys did not debate on my explaination, but you focused instead on a smaller point, feeble: wikipedia! It just goes to show that some people are so willing to HATE they are not willing to listen.
You probably said something equally stupid as your claims about wikipedia.

First research the religion factually, and then be in a position to criticise.
You would be surprised how much I know about your religion, christianity, judaism, myriads of new age beliefs... it's a hobby of mine.

K

katie_tully

The whole point of satire is that it's going to ruffle some feathers, and bring great amusement to the rest of us. Unfortunately the Islamic state hasn't tripped over "humour" in the last few thousand years.
Denmark has already apologised, so what are they aiming to achieve by continuing their destructive streak?
Those of you who sympathise with them for being offended are morons. They aren't offended, they're merely using the cartoons as an excuse to wage violence on those who dare to have a differen't view point. If anything, they've proved the cartoons to be correct.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
why is it offensive? IT HURTS US, because it would be as bad in your case if somebody hurt you emotionally, too.
No, a king hit to the face would hurt me. Satire does not.

davin

HSC
N/A
I'm so sick of hearing that the cartoons aren't offensive. Ok , so they aren't offensive to YOU, we understand that. They dont hurt you emotionally. By now isnt is obvious that they are clearly offensive to others, and its not offensive to you because you dont beleive in the religion. Its simple.

why is it offensive? IT HURTS US, because it would be as bad in your case if somebody hurt you emotionally, too. Or insulted somebody you love, care deeply about. Your mother, father, sisters, brothers, can you imagine? You will probably retort with something really cynical to this, but that's just expected.

BUT dont go around inciting more hatred purely because you hate the religion.
I have tried to explain why it is such a big deal to insult a holy figure. We love Jesus, Mohammed, Abraham, all in the same measure. They are holy figures of God and it is sad that today insulting them is called on 'freedom of speech'. If you dont believe in them, then fine.
if christians found it offensive that the quran doesn't acknowledge jesus as the son of god, would you support the quran not being published so as to not offend them?
second, if this is all about not offending, what about those of us that are offended by the idea that freedom of speech should be limited based on what groups are overly sensitive?

K

katie_tully

Dude, Christians don't go on homicidal rampages because satirical pictures of Jesus are printed in newspapers. If they did, there would be 1000 riots a day.
I think you'll find Christians don't give a shit what is written in the Quran. That's why they read the Bible instead.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I demand you censor everything that may possibly pique my delicate sensibilities and xxxxhurtxmyxfeelingsxxx. :(:(

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Should I post to rub it in your face every time labor gets it wrong?
You do know you can only post once every 30 seconds right?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
somechick said:
why is it offensive? IT HURTS US, because it would be as bad in your case if somebody hurt you emotionally, too. Or insulted somebody you love, care deeply about. Your mother, father, sisters, brothers, can you imagine? You will probably retort with something really cynical to this, but that's just expected.
These cartoons hurt you because you get the shits that not everyone is bound by your cult's moronic laws.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
katie_tully said:
Dude, Christians don't go on homicidal rampages because satirical pictures of Jesus are printed in newspapers. If they did, there would be 1000 riots a day.
I think you'll find Christians don't give a shit what is written in the Quran. That's why they read the Bible instead.
BOGAN! :wave:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
katie_tully said:
Cease your infatuation with me. It's tiresome.
Perhaps, but you know whats really tiresome.. your outdated ideas about how the world should work. I guess its just a natural disadvantage of growing up the country, not being exposed to ideologies differing to your own and reading the telegraph for your source of information. <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)