MSN Messenger 7.0 BETA Leaked (1 Viewer)

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Wild Dan Hibiki said:
anyone know how i can get pdf files to open in firefox?
What version are you using ?

I've got 1.0, with only two extensions installed (JS Console Extras , and a usage meter for me), and my pdf files open fine. Closing them seems to be an issue though.

You could try reinstalling it, but depends if you have an old version or not.

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
im using version 1, i just updated but it still doesnt open pdf files. do i have to download extensions or something?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
can you make msn open links in firefox rather than IE?

stuffplus-NG could make it open hotmail in other browser but what about links?

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Wild Dan:

Found this on the net.

Firefox Forums said:
Here's what I did in FF 1.0PR: Go to Tools > Options > Downloads and click on "Plug-Ins ..." Here, disable the entry for PDF by clicking on the tick next to its entry so that it becomes a little dot. Click OK. Now attempt to open a PDF, either with File > Open File and choose a local file on your hard drive, or attempt to open a PDF by clicking its link on a website.

At this stage you'll get a dialogue box. Choose "Open with" and make sure AcroExch or AcroRd32.exe is selected, or navigate to it on your hard drive. Click the "Do this automatically for files like this from now on" and click OK.

Now when you click on a link to a PDF in a web page it will open in an Acrobat window. It may not be exactly the answer you're looking for, but at least you'll be able to open PDF files online, without having to save them then open them.
Try that :)

People seem to be having a lot of problems with PDF's, no acknowedged bug about it yet.

jm1234567890:

Unfortunately, with MSN you have to open links in the default browser. Also, with Messenger being a Microsoft product, it's more than likely designed to associate itself with IE than anything else.

(edit) Not sure about any addon programs. Use Trillian Pro myself, not Messenger, sorry. (/edit).

You'll have to make Firefox your default browser if you want your links to open in it.

~ Med

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
MedNez said:
You'll have to make Firefox your default browser if you want your links to open in it.
of course firefox is my default browser :p

IE is even deactivated through add/remove programs, but MSN insists on using it. Which is why there needs to be a plug-in.

I didn't like trillian pro when i used it, don't remember why.

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Haha, I thought it was weird you sig supported Firefox yet it didn't seem to be your default one. I'm pretty sure sure my hunch on MSN being tied into IE is correct, they've been sued over the antitrust case involving Internet Explorer before.

Maybe we should launch a new suit :p

There may be a registry entry pointing to the browser. But it may assume the location of IE *shrug*. I'll have a poke around and see what I can find.

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Haha. I agree, while it's a fun idea to poke at, it's kind of like flying into the Sun.

I had a good poke around, IE is coded into MSN Messenger, you can't change what browser it uses for some things. Removing IE only means you then can't do what you were doing before :(

Trillian, uses the default windows browser for everything. MSN is specific in what it uses for what. Had a look around the registry just in case. Found a few other things to tinker with, but nothing helpful to this.

Sorry to say it, but it looks like IE wins.

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
FirefoxForums said:
Here's what I did in FF 1.0PR: Go to Tools > Options > Downloads and click on "Plug-Ins ..." Here, disable the entry for PDF by clicking on the tick next to its entry so that it becomes a little dot. Click OK. Now attempt to open a PDF, either with File > Open File and choose a local file on your hard drive, or attempt to open a PDF by clicking its link on a website.

At this stage you'll get a dialogue box. Choose "Open with" and make sure AcroExch or AcroRd32.exe is selected, or navigate to it on your hard drive. Click the "Do this automatically for files like this from now on" and click OK.

Now when you click on a link to a PDF in a web page it will open in an Acrobat window. It may not be exactly the answer you're looking for, but at least you'll be able to open PDF files online, without having to save them then open them.
:confused:, that pdf thing in the plugins list isnt even there

MedNez

HSC
N/A
Hm, one of two things that I think might work.

1. Install Adobe Reader 6.0 and find where it is installed.
2. Go to that folder in Explorer, locate the plug_ins subfolder and rename this folder to plug_ins_disabled.
3. Create a new plug_ins folder.
4. Move the files EWH32.api, printme.api and search.api from plug_ins_disabled to plug_ins.

If this doesn't work, copy ALL the plugin files (move them all back to the plug_ins folder first) then past them in firefox's plugins folder. Then try restarting firefox and seeing if you can open PDFs.

Regards,

MedNez.

equiski

HSC
I personally use Gaim for all my MSN/Yahoo/AIM needs :D.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Wild Dan Hibiki said:
btw why did u get banned winston?
now if he was banned, how is he going to answer your question?
also someone who maintains the forums getting banned, that's going to be interesting

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
WARNING: security hole in MSN 7.0.205, don't use it if you don't know what you are doing

check mess.be for more details

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Is the MSN option to disable flash files sufficient or should I prevent association of it with flash player?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)