• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

MSN help (2 Viewers)

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
hey everytime i start up my msn, msn7.0, windows messenger either opens up, or i get told im signing in from another location. and when i cancel the automatic sign in, and resign, i get told that ive been signed out of another place. what the hell is goin on, can i disable windows messenger and make msn7 the top priority.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Yes. Open Windows Messenger. Go to Tools > Options > Preferences.

Uncheck the starting up when windows starts option. Make sure MSN 7 is enabled in it's options.

That means only MSN 7 will start up & log you in :)

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
yea ive done that, but it still sometimes doesnt allow a direct connection to msn7, like when i open up msn, it starts the automatic sign in, then i get a little msg sayin your bein signed in from another location. i cancel signing in, then go to sign in with different email, use same email, type password, then start signing in. just before it signs me in, like when its paused to sign in, i get a msg sayin im signing in at another location. i dunno wth is goin on

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes that would be the way to fix it.
I simply uninstalled windows messenger

And on the subject of Msn, MS is about to release its first ever patch which should fix the sign in issues many people have being experiencing. The build is 7.0.813 and is currently being beta tested atm. It seems to work for me quite well, the rest of you will just have to wait. ( or find a leaked copy)

It should also stop blocking Mp3 and jpeg files from being send via file transfer!

From the MSN Messenger BETA newsgroups:

We’re glad to have been able to fix a few bugs. We couldn’t fix them all, of course. Thanks to all who have given it a try. I am hereby giving those of you (20-30) who have gotten the e-mail from me permission to forward it to other beta testers (under NDA) so they can try it out. Let’s broaden the net and see just how solid this patch is.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Led-Zep said:
yea ive done that, but it still sometimes doesnt allow a direct connection to msn7, like when i open up msn, it starts the automatic sign in, then i get a little msg sayin your bein signed in from another location. i cancel signing in, then go to sign in with different email, use same email, type password, then start signing in. just before it signs me in, like when its paused to sign in, i get a msg sayin im signing in at another location. i dunno wth is goin on
Change your password. It is possible someone has gained access to your account and is using your email.

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
ok hey thanks for the help. but wont unistallin windows messenger affect how msn messenger works?

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
sorry to be a pain, but i cant find windows messenger in the add/remove thing in control panel. where would its main file be located at?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
* has no idea why msn is wasting time continuing to develop windows messenger

Led-Zep

Virtuoso
HSC
hey thanks MedNez for that. just hopin that removin windows messenger doesnt screw up my computer

jonathan109

HSC
N/A
Like mentioned they are two different products.

MSN Messenger, is for everyday home users.

Windows Messenger is for Businesses to do real-time communication with partners, perhaps online meetings.

MSN Messenger depends on Windows Messenger for a few of it's services, i.e. Remote Desktop and Whiteboard.

You shouldn't uninstall it, unless you really don't use any of those shared services.

Furthermore it's a common problem even if you changed your options in preferences that Windows Messenger still loads up, it happens on many accounts, it can be easily invoked upon by other MS related applications, hence why it loads, generally my solution to this is, end msmsgs.exe in the Task Manager.

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Messenger

rename msmsgs.exe to msmsgsSTOP.exe

That should be fine and when you need to use Remote desktop etc, rename it back, and run it.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Led-Zep said:
sorry to be a pain, but i cant find windows messenger in the add/remove thing in control panel. where would its main file be located at?
The other way to do this is to go

Control Panel --> Add/Remove Programs --> in the left hand column Add/Remove Windows Components --> then uncheck the box for Windows Messenger right at the very bottom.

nuffsaid

BOS Founder
HSC
my "show music" on msn7 aint workin :mad:
its checked, and ive also activated the msn plugin in windows media player
but it still doesnt work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)