Mrs Dalloway (1 Viewer)

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
Im having trouble getting into it - mainly because i find the random thoughts rather confusing and momentarily intense. Did anyone feel the same?

I sense that these significant 'nothings' will eventually add up to something?

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
I really enjoyed this work. Perhaps the best way of thinking about it is that Woolf eliminates the (traditionally) omniscient narrator. Through doing this, all that remains is each characters thoughts, which are culminatively very effective in conveying mood, emotion [The war had taught him...Poor Septimus.] and thought.

To The Lighthouse is in a similar vein, if you ultimately enjoy Mrs Dalloway.

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
Yeah when I first read Woolf I was like man, fuckoff, but once you step into it, the writing/perspective/entire thing is really quite remarkable. It helps to read the first pages (whatever) without trying to understand and then it gets better.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
this might be off on a tangent, but I read The Hours first and absolutely loved it...ithen I read Mrs Dalloway and that was pretty good too but I;m more inclined toward The Hours :D

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
I absolutely loved Mrs Dalloway, its so lyrical with the most beautiful language I was in raptures. I loved the way Woolf used the chiming of big ben to draw all the stories together and I dont know, it was just beautiful.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)