• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

MQ Student Election (1 Viewer)

nikmueller

HSC
Hey bosers

elections for university council are in the mail.

Check out Jarryd's blog. Reviving community@mq . he is experienced as a representative, brings fresh ideas and doesn't drag dirty party politics into student representation.

Next wednesday 9th, 12noon there will be a meeting of the nominees in the atrium

Cheers
Nick Mueller

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Rofl @ parking.

Seriously doesn't that shit get old :S

maka

HSC
Textbooks subsidies via a HECS based scheme could work.

Effectively, you get a yearly $1500 max limit on Govt support of textbooks. The textbooks would be paid off at the end of the degree in addition to HECS.

At present, we are forced to fork out exorbitant amounts for 6 months use.

Now I wonder what the NUS will argue at the 2020 Summit. Some idealistic proposals with little real time presence.

BTW I am not anti union. I just dont like the fact that it doesnt have any affect on the majority of students.

X

xeuyrawp

I'd vote for anyone over Amy Smith, that horrible slut.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Seriously though, whats the difference between what Victor Ma was sprouting and what these guys are sprouting?

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Seriously though, whats the difference between what Victor Ma was sprouting and what these guys are sprouting?
Did you read below the headings? :-/

Jarryd acknowledges that every year people talk about parking and transport. He's not offering more parking.

Jarryd's a decent bloke, imo, and is the best person I can think of for the position.

And what the fuck at being up at 5:49am?!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Uni should be a place of learning, engagement and fun for all students. This is my idea of a university community and I have some ideas to make it happen:

* establishing a common campus lunch hour to promote student interaction
* increasing affordable student accommodation
* improving the quality and affordability of U@MQ food and beverages
* increasing the number of popularly elected student representatives on campus.

1) Rofl no. Could you imagine the logistical nightmare you'd face?
2) I'd put that up with parking, it needs money/space, in the limited time frame, sounds good but, I'd like to see a plan rather than rhetoric.
3) Again similar, if a 19 year old business like the Cutting Crew couldn't get a break, what're the new ones who I assume are paying the higher rent, going to do?
4) Probably the only realistic thing I can see.

I'm not against student politics, I just want to see something tangible and people going in with a clue, rather than saying shit, then realising what they can't do afterwards. Call me a stickler for evidence, but like I said, how are things going to be any different in terms of policy? Thats what I want to know, what are these people doing actively already? If you want good politics, get good politicians.

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
I just want to see something tangible and people going in with a clue
That's not going to happen at Macquarie.

I voted for Jarryd because I know he'd do a much better job than anyone else, despite what he says. He's idyllic, but the rest of them are just absolute fuckwits.

That asian guy looks like such a fucking twat - he put 'I seek election to MQ Council' on his Senate nomination. But it doesn't matter, because all the retarded Asian students on campus will vote for him because they're all mindless sheep.

Couldn't do any preferential voting because I could only decide who was the lesser of all the evils - they're all pretty shit. But what else can you expect from our university? If you want active, intelligent, student politics, go elsewhere to be honest.

There's noone decent for Senate, so didn't vote.

Last edited by a moderator:

aileenli

HSC
Dammit I recycled that lil piece of paper!

Did that Asian guy even have any objectives/goals on there? Cause I remember a list of qualifications + '20 years experience' in something...which to me makes him more qualified to shanghai us :(

Anyway, I'm planning to vote for the youngest, most naive person on that list who preferably isn't studying commerce or law...

X

xeuyrawp

aileenli said:
Dammit I recycled that lil piece of paper!

Did that Asian guy even have any objectives/goals on there? Cause I remember a list of qualifications + '20 years experience' in something...which to me makes him more qualified to shanghai us :(

Anyway, I'm planning to vote for the youngest, most naive person on that list who preferably isn't studying commerce or law...
... What?

HSC
N/A
I wish I had more time. I really want to have a face-to-face chat with all the nominees and suss out what they're like and how they answer some of the questions I have.

A common campus hour is a little scary from an administrative perspective but I can understand and appreciate where the idea came from. I do think that something is being done about food affordability... I actually saw one of the $5 lunch packs in the U@MQ shop today and it looks pretty good. Not that I'm a big fan of frittata but I'm stunned to actually see something remotely affordable, decently-sized and perhaps even tasty on the shelves.

And I still haven't got the ballot paper yet... I'm getting scared!!!

ippie

HSC
DarrylKerrigan said:
lotsa ideas but they seem unrealistic:
parking: firstly, the trainlink is delayed (..again) till january next year
WHO WHAT WHEN WHY? WHERE DOES IT SAY THAT oh FUCK! I am counting on that STUPID line to fucking open already, I HATE trains to epping in the morning, THERE'S LIKE NONE (that is, none that work well when I swap from the blue line to red line at central)

PwarYuex said:
That asian guy looks like such a fucking twat - he put 'I seek election to MQ Council' on his Senate nomination. But it doesn't matter, because all the retarded Asian students on campus will vote for him because they're all mindless sheep.
Excuse me, generalisation, I'm asian, and pfff he looked like a tool. His description thingo sounds like a fucking resume. I dont wanna know *that* much about your "experience", thanks.

DarrylKerrigan said:
~ Jarryd Daymond: He was propsed by Nik Muekker. Therefore he actually has a shred of credibility and thats good enough for me. VOTE THIS GUY - JARRYD DAYMOND.
Who is this Nik guy, some king or something? I think i've seen his name before... in the MQ fortnightly publication (forgot the name). Well this Jarryd guy does sound alright, but common lunch hour? Oh come on, what is this, PRIMARY SCHOOL? I for one, dont want a common lunch hour.

ANYWAY why is everyone dissing the 2 girls? Are you guys sexist or something? All you do is say "omg i aint voting for that skank/slut"

maka

HSC
Communal lunch hour works at USYD law school but it cant work at MQ with the amount of people.

Amy and Amelia have written all over the pavement at uni and Jarryd has some mega thing that I saw near the lecture theatre.

Then the Asian bloke posts his resume and being a member of the Dymocks Book Lovers club is going to make me vote for him isnt it?

I really dont want to vote for anyone.

We need to find a way to cut the cost of student living in some form such reducing the cost of textbooks via $1,500 yearly loans from

They are all practically much of a muchness. I really dont have much interest. No policies that go beyond left field.

X

xeuyrawp

ippie said:
Excuse me, generalisation, I'm asian, and pfff he looked like a tool.
Rofl, next time I'll have 'statistically I believe this is the case, however in order to be politically and mathematically correct, I must report that I have no empirical, government-body-endorsed data to prove it' attached to all my obvious generalisations.

I think we can all tell it's a generalisation, but if you thought it through, you'd realise that general comments to do with voting trends tend to be generalisations.
ANYWAY why is everyone dissing the 2 girls?
Because they're both shit.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Rofl, leave the poor kiddies alone, they're naive!

K.

HSC
Okay. Seriously. Why does Tim Hendry even bother running? Can any Joe-Schmoe enter? Seriously. They need to set some standards.

Thomas Pacey!

X

xeuyrawp

K. said:
Okay. Seriously. Why does Tim Hendry even bother running? Can any Joe-Schmoe enter? Seriously. They need to set some standards.
Tim Hendry's done more for the uni than any other student rep, Kylie. Have you heard of iLectures?

I really dislike him, but amidst all of his hippy bullshit, there are proven results. Having results in such a position (Academic Senator) is quite impressive, imo.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
K. said:
Thomas Pacey!
Labor hack!

EDIT: Iirc this was the guy who said there should be less medicine places, because that way regional areas would get better doctors. I could be wrong, though, I met a lot of Labor people on that particular night.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)