Moving up from Bsc (maths) to Bsc (advanced mathematics) (1 Viewer)

cheschirecat

Premium Member
HSC
Hello, I've had my eye on the combined degree of commerce and advanced mathematics for a while however after my hsc english test today I feel that I might not be able to get into it and thus will have to rely on my second option of doing a bachelor of commerce combined with a bachelor of science with a major in maths. My question is: would it be possible to move up to advanced mathematics and how long would it take/what would I need to do? Also, would it be preferable to simply start out with a bachelor of advanced mathematics and pick up the commerce component over the second year?

Thanks in advance for your time :)

HSC
N/A
In truth there isn't all that much difference. Adv Maths has to do SCIF which some people like and some hate, but the maths is pretty much the same. And advanced maths is designed to finish with honours in maths (in the 5th year) rather than just a 4 year double degree. If you don't keep up a suitable average they push you from adv math down to the norms BSc, and if you are doing well it shouldn't be much of a problem swapping into the adv maths. (One thing you can't do in the BSc maths is the Quantitative Risk major.)

In the BComBSc(Maths or Adv Maths) you don't do very much science apart from the maths subjects. Maths usually takes up 3 of your 8 1st year subjects, so you basically have to start on some of the commerce in year 1.

cheschirecat

Premium Member
HSC
First of all thanks for taking the time to reply. Just wondering: will me not doing scif impact me at all?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you transfer into the Adv. Maths program, you're going to do SCIF. I know a third year who transferred in and had to do SCIF with us first years.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
no it wont impact you if u dont do scif.
you don't learn anything that will affect your degree/courses.
just doing a com/sci degree is fine. it you want to do honours, they'll let you if your marks are good enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)