Moving out? (1 Viewer)

Aclipse

HSC
how many people live by themselves/share with other students during uni

also, if you are one of them, how do you or other people you know that are living by themselves cope financially.

IamBread

HSC
On Campus. I will have the government and parents giving me money, as well as my scholarship. + I'll probably get a job.

PaterzAttack

fake based bitch
HSC
Officially moved out today. I saved my own money beforehand (just under $1000) and used it to pay my bond + 2 weeks rent in advance.
At the moment I'm relying on Centrelink for money and I will be applying for rent assistance and a moving away from home allowance
Eventually I'll get job to try and help because I doubt Centrelink will give me enough

Living in a house with 5 rooms and 1 other mate; 3 spare rooms.

rayy_bann

HSC
how many people live by themselves/share with other students during uni

also, if you are one of them, how do you or other people you know that are living by themselves cope financially.
Hey! I don't know exactly where you live and what university you go to, so I can't account for all factors that may affect the question you are asking.

But anyway, if you live in the western sydney and plan to move towards the universities in the City, this may apply to you. My cousin actually lived in the western sydney region and was attending USYD. Because of constant commuting, she decided to rent a small apartment near Redfern. This affected her spending tremendously. She had to cut down on alot and saved alot in order to pay for her rent. Adding to this, you need to factor out the area that you are going to stay in because in her circumstance it was a crime hotspot.

The only thing that got her through day by day was probably her boyfriend sharing the apartment with her. So from this, I think that sharing should be factor considered! Especially as it eases the financial burden a bit.

But you may be in a totally different circumstance in terms of financial matters. In which case, just be sure you are emotionally prepared and keep yourself safe, especially if you are by yourself.

Good luck! :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
If you have a job and a secure, steady cash flow, no worries. If you plan to rely entirely on centrelink, your life will suck.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Before I went to uni, I was told by a friend at Sydney uni to "Stay home. Save money."

Aclipse

HSC
do you guys have any idea about the proportion of friends you know who live by themselves.

and I live in eastern suburbs right now and will be attending UNSW this year.
since it's holidays right now i'm earning around about $400 a week before tax on a casual job, but when uni starts my timetable is packed (engineering student here) and I won't work as much (grossing ~$150 a week max ) + youth allowance

I'm just curious as i've been looking forward to uni life, i thought that a lot of kids will start to move out.

by the time i receive my scholarship i will have around $10k in the bank

izzy88

HSC
do you guys have any idea about the proportion of friends you know who live by themselves.

and I live in eastern suburbs right now and will be attending UNSW this year.
since it's holidays right now i'm earning around about $400 a week before tax on a casual job, but when uni starts my timetable is packed (engineering student here) and I won't work as much (grossing ~$150 a week max ) + youth allowance

I'm just curious as i've been looking forward to uni life, i thought that a lot of kids will start to move out.

by the time i receive my scholarship i will have around $10k in the bank
I can't give percentages or anything, but i would think more people would be living at home than not. It is very expensive to move out - especially if you are trying to find rental accommodation around particular universities (usyd for example). Agents don't like renting to students, so if they do, they generally charge you a stack of money, and you may even find you need to put a parent on the lease. Friends renting in glebe are paying upwards of $250 a week each. Centrelink won't cover generally cover all rent/bills/food/life, so people who are renting and parents aren't helping them will also need jobs etc.

If you can stay home you can save money, have a life and it is much easier. It also means you have money to go travelling overseas (which most people prefer rather than spending it on rent etc - especially if your parents are relatively close to whatever uni you are at).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)