Moulin Rouge (1 Viewer)

bewitched05

Almost finished school!
HSC
Is any1 else doing moulin rouge for supp text 4 imaginative journeys? How r u looking at it in relation to Coleridge?

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
bewitched05, welcome to the BOS forums.

here are some thoughts to tackle moulin rouge.

-think about moulin rouge being a metaphor for opheus' myth, (i think thats how u spell his name). also consider the actual theatre production in the film as a parallel to the actual plot of moulin rouge itself. --> relate the imaginative aspect of the theatre production with the reality, the physical aspect, of the actual moulin rouge plot IE boy meets girl, boy gets girl.

-think about moulin rouge itself as a fantasy world, an imaginative place. consider slow motion, montages, blurry images, the acting, lighting, setting, camera movements.

-relation to coleridge: not really related to coleridge, rather, you relate it to the ideas that journeys presents to us. the techniques and methods used by coleridge are distinctly different to luhrrman, BUT, they all aim to illustrate similar ideas about journeys. thats where the comparisons with coleridge lies.

geegables

HSC
Hey, thanks for that ive been trying to find my texts and thats actually a good text to do

Lileane

HSC
Hmmm just a random thought about relating MR to Coleridge.
Perhaps you could think about how poems like Kubla Khan have supernatural elements, elements that are exaggerations/extensions of reality "caverns measureless to man." Similary, in Moulin Rouge, many of the characters are in v. high relief, at times almost caricatures of themselves, Toulouse Lautrec, Zidler, they're all very vivid characters that could be an imaginative extension of real personalities, those you would encounter in life.
So, both Coleridge and Luhrmann have used the imaginative journey to develop and extend ideas about nature, both physical and human.

Orrrr...maybe that was just a load of mishmash, extended holidays are messing with my mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)