Motor buliding Catastrophe! (1 Viewer)

2opinion8d

kittyfr33k
HSC
:wave: I'm building a motor for my assessment and the only problem is that... yup it doesn't work.

I'm pretty sure its due to the bulky rotor and hence the magnets and maybe even voltage supplied from the power box not being sufficient enough to get it to turn....

So I'm thinking of redesigning my rotor ... and wanted to ask you guys what the best material would be

cork/foam/ or a matchbox

thanx in advance

zingerburger

HSC
I would think cork would be the best. It's light, but it's strong and solid enough to hold together when getting all fidgety with the motor.

2opinion8d

kittyfr33k
HSC
hmm... I agree with the cork...

i've also decided i need thinner wire

the motor in jacaranda runs on 6V! my friend's motor needed a car battery to make it run!

Can't wait till its over...

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
2opinion8d said:
hmm... I agree with the cork...

i've also decided i need thinner wire

the motor in jacaranda runs on 6V! my friend's motor needed a car battery to make it run!

Can't wait till its over...
A car battery!!! Whoa! That would be hard to hand in. Did the Honda Civic go with it?

I have to laugh. I saw the topic and had a flash back to Elec Eng at Uni. We were "playing with" (experimenting with) motors and were told to set it up and get the circuit checked before we turned it on.

Guess what, my group didn't. HAHAHAHA We shorted circuited the DC power supply in the entire Elec Eng building and blew three 250A fuses. Oh yeah, major damage. All the other motors in the room started going crazy because the DC current was the one that was controlling the motors' speed. Hey, I only set up the circuit, it was not me who threw the switch.

:rofl:

thehootman

HSC
You need more loops of wire..... you shouldnt need a car battery. If you do something is fundamentally flawed. Try a higher voltage (car batt = 12v). But usually its because
- the field structure is wrong (not strong enough/ not in phase)
- there is clear insulation on the wire
- the commutator is wrong
- it does work but wont start by itself

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)