Motivation (1 Viewer)

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
Ok i'm pretty sure that there has been a thread along these lines recently, but i couldnt find it, so anyway.

I have a large procrastination problem (example- i have 3 assessments due next week, 2 of which i havnt started, and late-night-before assessment completion is common for me) and i know this problem to be common among those at this board. I'm not happy about it, i want to do well this year, so i would like to change my attitude towards work. I mean, i KNOW it should be done, but i'll be damned if there isnt that ONE little thing that i'd rather do before getting started on my school work, which of course leads me to another thing, adn then another, and before i know it its time to go to bed. Oh well, i'll get started tomorrow, i say.

But i'm sure there are people who know good ways to combat procrastination, and increase motivation to get work done early and well. so share! (share AGAIN as it may be, those people who posted in the other thread which i mentioned)

What do YOU do to force/persuade yourself to get off your ass, or ON your ass and do some study/assessments/homework?

What sort of thing motivates you to keep working when you could be doing something so much more fun?

:)

Rahul

Dead Member
i am such a lazy person!!!

but i jus thought that i have 9 or so months of hard yakka to do and after that i can enjoy. so i would advise u dat u change te way u fink about study/work. if u start to enjoy it , u will succeed.

be in competition wid ur peers, use them to push urself up to ur potential.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by wallmonger
What do YOU do to force/persuade yourself to get off your ass, or ON your ass and do some study/assessments/homework?
One reason: UAI

well thats one obvious one

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
No 1., get off hscboardz :p
Take ICQ/MSN out of the startup menu.
(Unless you're really really really self-controlled and can avoid the computer altogether, that is.)

Generally to stay motivated I sat down and forced myself to do an entire day of study. I know you're only 'meant' to study for so many hours or whatever before the brain slows down, but I work better in chunks of days :p

If you get distracted easily, go somewhere else. Avoid libraries and school study areas :p

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Bah, nat, I stayed up til 6am for an assignment that was due at 8. Yes, I got 1 hour of sleep. I also drove to school that day. :p

Believe me, it is NOT something you want to do.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
yes ... the uai is for determining: are you in or are you out ... the rest is a bonus ... so do enough to get in and that should be enough (circular logic just isnt as impressive as it use to be)...

zannaz

Deloused
HSC
Originally posted by anti
Bah, nat, I stayed up til 6am for an assignment that was due at 8. Yes, I got 1 hour of sleep. I also drove to school that day. :p

Believe me, it is NOT something you want to do.
I had a legal studies research essay worth 35% of assessment and i started it the night before it was due and finished a 4:30 am and had to wake up at 6:30am to go to school with only 2 hours sleep, heaps of coffee. BTW i got 100% for that....shocked!

Anyway the main motivater was the UAI, beacuse i wanted to get over 90!!! A also forced my self to sit down and study for the whole day on weekends. I also spent all the free periods in the library and the motivation came from my competitiveness.

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
thanks for the replies
damn my lack of self-discipline :mad:

ok another question

how many hours would you reccommend on just studying subjects (not homework or assessments) on a weeknight, without any exams coming up?

what about WITH exams coming up?

Rahul

Dead Member
ummm.....make sure u get out and have other things that u can use to reward urself with "after" u have worked to ur desired limit.

bobo123

HSC
i reckon you can gain motivation just by sitting with someone hardworking in class.

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by bobo123
i reckon you can gain motivation just by sitting with someone hardworking in class.
yeh good idea bobo,

but i hate leeches and sponges. they r the ppl who suck all information from u and hardly do anything, they dont even try!!

but group study is very effective.

bobo123

HSC
i didnt mean by copying his/her work or anything
just looking out them pump out pages and pages all lesson makes me feel guilty that i bludge :O

i've tried group study, but not much success
we always start laughing at some random things and get no work done

Rahul

Dead Member
u obviusly have to choose ur group to study wisely.....usuall no more than 2 or 3.
i would say u need sum brief relief from studying too.....a few laughs every hour or so is a good thing!

AGB

HSC
i reckon that group study is good for sum subjects but terrible for others...i like studyin with other people for maths but thats about it. maths is good in that way coz u can ask other ppl ur studyin with how to do certain things, however with humanities type subjects its better studyin by urself...

Originally posted by natstar
LOL.......
Yeah i guess its ok if ya pull off good marks. You may not deserve them as much as th eppl who worked on it for the entire time u had the assignment, but who is to know?
true.But i think it's alot more rewarding if you put in the time and effort to gain great assignment marks.I a case study for business studies and it took me 6 months.I got 59/60 and although i got beaten by someone who did it in 3 wks, i still felt pretty good about myself.They're the things you should espire to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)