Motivation?? (1 Viewer)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
what sort of approach/techniques did you guys use to "get off that couch" so u could go and study?? and how did u manage to sustain this motivation when u do study.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
think about the day you get your HSC results. What will you be thinking?
a) I wish I had studied more
b) That was the best I could do

Now regardless of what your marks actually were, think about how you will cope with regret. If it scares u shitless like me, that should be enough motivation.

pri

HSC
N/A
I stick quotes around my study room that are pretty motivational, and brochures of the course I wanna do and the Uni brochures, I find these are motivational as it gives me a reason to study ie to get into the course I wanna get into

make a goal first of what u want and why u want it and you will start to find motivation - its not easy but ull get there eventually. To make study more enjoyable play music or reward urself somehow. Give urself a reason for studying, and it will be much easier.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
I am the most unmotivated person on the planet. I spent the day before my physics exam playing snake on my sisters phone. Then my brother bought a playstation 2, and well, that was the end of study for me.
If you study when you are not into it then its just pointless, because you arent absorbing what you are studying. What I did was got up early (No sleep ins) and made myself study for like 2 hours before even gettin dressed and having breakfast. Then the rest of the day was free and I didnt have to feel guilty about not having studied.
Dont leave it until the afternoon because something may come up, like an invite out, and then you'll feel guilty all day.
I also put all of my Maths formulas on the back of the toilet door, and just stared at them all year. It must have worked coz I did well in maths

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
You just have to remember that's it's important, and how bad you'll feel if you don't get in to whatever you want to do just because you couldn't be bothered.
And try to make studying "fun"...well, not fun, but do something like listen to music to make it a bit more bearable. Or, if you can't study with music, try doing say 20 mins of study (or however long seems reasonable for you), then do some sit ups or something like that. Somehow, that helped keep me on track, even though I usually despise the idea of exercise. Also, that gives you some time to let the information you've just read sink it, before you go back and read another big chunk.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
what uni course do u wanna do?
well if u aim high ... like me for example(actuarial or medicine or law something along those lines)

ull want to study becuz u kno u cant just sit around playing snake on your 5110 all day long

thats what keeps me going
week before any exam i spend about 3 hours each day making sure i kno all the content... by about the 3rd last day its exercise after exercise from various textbooks... sometimes i might make my own questions up... to practice a formula or somethin

the day before exam = read thru and sleep early

best way to study ~ ^^

aby

------------>
get rid of your couch...

Stick your desired UAI somewhere visible. Preferably on the tv screen

:D

blah says she

blah. blah. blah.
HSC
Originally posted by aby
get rid of your couch...

Stick your desired UAI somewhere visible. Preferably on the tv screen

:D
haha, sounds good to me!! :p

finally I'm no longer a "new member" woohoo :D

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
the finish line is less than a year away, so just a little further ... although its all over for me ... :)

hornet

Do what I did for year 12 :)

I made a "scorecard" of all my assessments. Basically, a rectangular piece of paper, on one side I made a big 95 and a circle around it (speed limit like) on one side of the 20cm by 8cm or so page, and on the other a "HOW FAST ARE YOU GOING NOW". I attached this to my bookshelf (right in front of my desk), so whenever I looked up I saw a big "95".... motivated me :)

Also on the other side, I recorded all my assessment/exam results on the other side. I divided the page into 6 parts (6 subjects), and gave 6 or 7 lines to each. After entering an exam result, I either highlighted the entry in green if I "passed" (80+ for sdd and ipt, 75+ for 3u/2u english, 70+ for maths, 70+ for physics) or red if I "failed". Served as a great motivator... constantly looking at my marks.

I was really aiming for 90. Anything 90+ I was going to be happy with.... 95 was just a number out of no where. In the end, I got 94.50 :) Rearrange that and you have 95.40! LOL Nah very happy with all that, and those things served to motivate me a lot. Also... information booklets on uni things. Go to the open days - even if you dont have anything to ask - just the vibe of finding more out about the course you have your heart set on (in my case) served as a great encourager.

GL :)

tammer

Remembering P.I.G.
HSC
well i didnt motivate myself at all throughout the year....

when it came to stuvac i finally decided that it was now or never and i may as well do something...

whatever you do, don't think that there's plenty of time left til the hsc, coz man it goes so quick, and when you realise its so close you freak, well most people do, so be consistent, thats the best way...

although i do believe cramming is essential for me to do any good...

that's my 2 cents worth, although i'm glad im here and not awaiting the 2003 hsc

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by tammer
well i didnt motivate myself at all throughout the year....

when it came to stuvac i finally decided that it was now or never and i may as well do something...

whatever you do, don't think that there's plenty of time left til the hsc, coz man it goes so quick, and when you realise its so close you freak, well most people do, so be consistent, thats the best way...
yes, time does fly ... :D

think of this way ... why bludge today and do it tommorrow, when you can do it today ... (because there is always tommorrow to cram and rush) ...

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by hornet

I made a "scorecard" of all my assessments. Basically, a rectangular piece of paper, on one side I made a big 95 and a circle around it (speed limit like) on one side of the 20cm by 8cm or so page, and on the other a "HOW FAST ARE YOU GOING NOW". I attached this to my bookshelf (right in front of my desk), so whenever I looked up I saw a big "95".... motivated me :)

Also on the other side, I recorded all my assessment/exam results on the other side. I divided the page into 6 parts (6 subjects), and gave 6 or 7 lines to each. After entering an exam result, I either highlighted the entry in green if I "passed" (80+ for sdd and ipt, 75+ for 3u/2u english, 70+ for maths, 70+ for physics) or red if I "failed". Served as a great motivator... constantly looking at my marks.

I was really aiming for 90. Anything 90+ I was going to be happy with.... 95 was just a number out of no where. In the end, I got 94.50 :) Rearrange that and you have 95.40! LOL Nah very happy with all that, and those things served to motivate me a lot. Also... information booklets on uni things. Go to the open days - even if you dont have anything to ask - just the vibe of finding more out about the course you have your heart set on (in my case) served as a great encourager.

that is such a good idea.....ironic about ur mark....too bad ur speed limit wasn't 100

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Omgosh ... Im going to get a paper and pen now!! ;)

Im gonna SPEED SO BAD!! ;):)

Ac:cool:

hornet

Originally posted by Rahul

that is such a good idea.....ironic about ur mark....too bad ur speed limit wasn't 100
Heh... wonder what would have happened if it was 100 :)

The highlighting failing/passing was good - at a quick glance, depending on which colour outweighted the other - I could tell how I was going... and through the year I tried to shake off the 4 or so red maths ones, with straight greens in sdd and ipt.... to cancel out the red :) Problem was the red was a stronger highlighter, so it was always more powerful, even if there was less haha

Ummm another trick. A lucky pen! hehe nah seriously. I have this red pen.... it was my mums from many many years ago (looks old). I have used it since year 9 or 10.... until the end of year 12 - shows how much I mark my work haha. That pen had enough ink to last so many years :) Stood as a symbol of endurance. I had always thought if the pen ran out of ink before the HSC I would fail... as it was my endurance meter..... well I finished with a good cm of ink left... went through a few cm that year.

Little things like that can motivate a lot. Also, get a goal. Find a course you wanna do, find out its uai, and go for it head on! Use lazseekr continually to judge your performance (only using the rank one in advanced version). Helped me decide which subject to drop - a surprisingly strategical decision... that ended up great. 3U maths was pulling everything down, so happy I dropped it (and getting 35% wasn't any good reason to keep it haha).

But yeah do my speed sign thing. I still have it filed away.... symbol of strength or something :)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
dude luv the technique
whered u get the idea :)

or did u make these things up... woah creative ^^

pri

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hornet

my god that is genius!!

Im going to do that, cept put the speed for 100!

thanks for the idea

hornet

Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
dude luv the technique
whered u get the idea :)

or did u make these things up... woah creative ^^

Umm it was a combo of the fact that I had just got my L's (early jan 2002), and that I am a little creative (though not with paper and pen lol)

pre: ok cool :) Make sure it is semi-realistic, in that its not too many marks over what you hope to get (eg I expected 85, wanted 90, aimed for 95, got 94.50 - remember the "an archer has to aim higher to hit his/her target" quote, its pretty true!). It should help you keep focused, and also its *really* handy to check up on your assessment results. I was so annoyed in year 11 with forgetting them, and ranks, and what it was worth etc... so it served as a useful place to collect all that info. Also allowed me to work out what the school sent in to the BoS as my (unscaled and unaltered by my school) assessment mark. Then that can be compared to the assessment (scaled by the BoS for school difficulty, and internally altered by my school to make them look better) mark that the BoS gives you on the HSC results page.

pri

HSC
N/A
I recorded my marks in yr 11 coz our school diaries have this handy dandy section for it, and yeh it does help heaps coz I knew where I had to improve

I need 99+ for my uni course so 100 is probably a good aim for me, btw Im one of those weird ppl that aim reaaly high so in advance Im sorry for offending anyone if I say that such and such a mark is unsatisfactory, its because my school (selective) is competative and a mark below 95 isnt considered to be that great, even though it is an excellent mark to most, its not good enuf at my school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)