Most treasured book... (1 Viewer)

snowconesyum

HSC
Mini said:
and Enid Blyton's Faraway Tree series - i am such a child - but memories are 'treasures', are they not?
ahh yes!!! the Faraway Tree!! with moonface and silky and that awesome slide down the middle of the tree... and i have always wanted to taste pop tarts (was that what they were??) anyway enid blyton is the bomb.
i was so excited about tasting ginger beer (famous five, anyone?) when i found it in a shop one day - biggest disappointment ever. yuck.

haha yeah i tend to find that the books i read when i was little are my most treasured - i read sooo much more then. like a book a day. the good old days.
Diana Wynne Jones stories anyone?? for some reason they just evoked the most beautiful, warm, magical atmosphere, the type where you want to read it simply because it makes you happy. i loved the chrestomanci series! and a tale of time city. aaaaaand archer's goon. yay! i think i'm going to go back and read them now :p

on a more age appropriate level ;) Dirt Music by Tim Winton. beautiful. book of life for some reason. i pretty much open it up to a random page, just read that page, and sit in awe on my bed at how someone can write like that and it can speak so honestly to you.

saving francesca probably changed my life.
so did the Bible ;) and it continues to do so. "Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it." Joshua 1:8

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
fi_babezy said:
Books are marvellous (except Twilight) !!! Sometimes you can read the most simpliest book, and its memory lasts for a life time (except Twilight)

What are your favourite books of all time (hopefully not Twilight)?
i'm not talking about the most literary correct book, or most talked about works, i'm talking about the book that had you crying to pain (Twilight was pain), misery (Twilight was misery), laughter, excitement...dread, fear...perhaps changed your perspective on the way you live your life (Twilight made me hate books).
Post = A+.

HSC
I have a stunning copy of Peter Pan... its like a full novel but it has illustrations that are just amazing, I love it.

edit; i also like my fairyopolis book :shy: its purdy.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
haha, i used to have a peter pan book, it was pop up too, havnt seen it in years.

My most treasured books would have to be Eragon, Eldest, and (new addition to the family) Brisingr. Didnt get the hardback cover, $$$, so i covered with plastic covering.

HSC
Oh sooo many books fit into this category:

- The Outsiders: I borrowed my copy from a friend for yr 10 english and never gave it back! Not a literary standout, but a shatteringly beautiful novel.
- The same goes for The Kite Runner - the pages 314 to 319 choke me up every single time: the rediscovery of religion in the midst of pain, fear and terrible, heartachingly sad grief is beautiful, and I'm not a religious person - best writing I think I have every read in my entire life, and I read a lot! Studied this one in yr 12 english.
- Lord of the Rings - we got a hardback version a few years ago when our all in one paperback kind of reached the last straw.
- Girl with a Pearl Earring - I carried it around half of yr 12 because I wrote an alternate ending in the style of the author for a creative task assessment.
- Breath by Tim Winton is a new favourite: I'm now on a Tim Winton reading spree.
- Robin Hobb stuff: Farseer Trilogy and Tawny Man trilogy.
- Tales of the Otori.
- Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot novels: I found all my mum's copies because she used to love them and has about 20 or so - I've read them all I think! Though not any Miss Marple - not a fan.
- Memoirs of a Geisha.
- Harry Potter - I'm Harry's age, how could I not love him?
- The Magic Faraway Tree and the rest of them!!! LOVE THEM!

Too many more to keep listing!

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
my most treasured book would definitely have to be 'The Kite Runner' Illustrated Edition, mainly because i absolutely love the book and also because its the most expensive single book ive ever purchased, from the top of my head ~$50

HSC
My most treasured books are my mum's collection of Trixie Belden books that i have read too many times to count. Harry Potter is also great but i have a leather bound copy of The Best of Sherlock Holmes which i love.

also a book my mum and dad gave me for my first christmas and it's all about Santa it's pretty special. i also love a personalised book from my parents that i got when i was three called Emily Emu and it's about an emu who is my babysitter and she takes me for a ride!

Last edited:

fallingstar

HSC
wow! yes i loved trixie belden; they're classics

other favs are:
the chronciles of narnia
HP of course
LOTR
a series of unfortunate evnts
did anyone ever read "hazel green"
also "travelling light", that changes your perspective on a lot of things - highly reccomened

also my bible :)

boris

Banned
HSC
Pop-up dinosaur alphabet book

Edit: lol just saw "also my bible :)" made me lol cos, cos of all the dum

Last edited:
HSC
fi_babezy said:
Books are marvellous !!! Sometimes you can read the most simpliest book, and its memory lasts for a life time (mwahahaha, the three little pigs)

What are your favourite books of all time?
i'm not talking about the most literary correct book, or most talked about works, i'm talking about the book that had you crying to pain, misery, laughter, excitement...dread, fear...perhaps changed your perspective on the way you live your life.
conversations with God

a revolution

jahuli

Detective Chief Inspector
HSC
Michael Caine's autobiography - "What's it all about?"

be.yourself

HSC
fi_babezy said:
Books are marvellous !!! Sometimes you can read the most simpliest book, and its memory lasts for a life time (mwahahaha, the three little pigs)

books ARE marvellous!!! :rolleyes: :haha:

perhaps changed your perspective on the way you live your life.
the power of now and conversations with god :read:

chamelia

HSC
As Mini and snowconesyum said previously - Enid Blytons - The Folk of The Faraway Tree.

My absolute favourite form of escapism as a young girl. I was introduced to all of Enid Blytons work through my mum who was also raised on these series.

So a few years ago, when I realised my childhood copies were shredded beyond recognition I went and brought new copies of the Faraway Tree series. I hope one day, I will be lucky enough to have children and I will pass these copies onto them to love just as much and I did.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
The Treatment and The Cure by Peter Kocan, i always find myself mulling over different concepts raised in these books in my spare time.

michellemma

Premium Member
HSC
Hmm... Perhaps the entire Harry Potter series? I'm a HP nerd at heart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)