Most awkward question you've asked a teacher? (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Omg mirakon that is so awkward!

At one of my friend's schools, there was a guy teacher and one of the Yr 9s said to him, "Sir, are you gay?" and he's like "No, I just moved here cause it didn't work out with my fiancee".

And at my school, no student would ever call a teacher by their first name. Though seniors tend to be able to dub teachers with nicknames lol. Oh and we pretty much call everyone Miss even if they are married (cause some teacher don't like been called Mrs if they are Miss) and guy teachers typically tend to be Sir.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Is it disrespectful that I call my teachers by their first names? LOL
Not really. For Year 11s and 12s... it's less formal, so it's kinda more appropriate to do so - but I wouldn't do it unless they allow you to do so. Nicknames are fine, I remember the Ancient History class at my school would call their teacher 'Jenny-mate' for some reason.

But for everyone else, pretty much - either their "normal" teacher name like Mr. Hughes, or:

Oh and we pretty much call everyone Miss even if they are married (cause some teacher don't like been called Mrs if they are Miss) and guy teachers typically tend to be Sir.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it disrespectful that I call my teachers by their first names? LOL
I know a school where everyone in year 11/12 just calls teachers by their first names.
My school though, every female teacher is just called 'miss' and every male teacher 'sir'. But we do have nicknames for some.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
And at my school, no student would ever call a teacher by their first name. Though seniors tend to be able to dub teachers with nicknames lol. Oh and we pretty much call everyone Miss even if they are married (cause some teacher don't like been called Mrs if they are Miss) and guy teachers typically tend to be Sir.
This really annoys me. Everyone would call teachers Miss/Sir which I didn't like and would jsut say Mr X or Mrs X etc. This is not colonial England, they do not need to be called 'Sir'.

kat-

msftsrep
HSC
it's so awkward when you call your guy teacher miss.. or mum (which I did) :uhoh:

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Because as gen Y we will try and short hand anything and everything?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I know although I didn't see why I should call them that. Calling them Mr X is more than enough respect.
because there is nothing with less syllables that we can call them

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
One advantage of sir, miss Is that you don't have to remember names in the first place. I like that concept.

Autonomatic

HSC
N/A
In year 8, we had an upcoming camp and I heard some rumours - I didn't think about googling to confirm it back then. I asked teacher "Is it true someone died at camp?"
Teacher replies "yes..." Awkward silence followed.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
In year 8, we had an upcoming camp and I heard some rumours - I didn't think about googling to confirm it back then. I asked teacher "Is it true someone died at camp?"
oh wow, that is awkward...

planino

HSC

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I think part of a cabin dare contest made this person eat a spoon of peanut butter or something. Turns out the boy was allergic to the stuff and yeah...
Oh! Was that your school? I remember hearing something about that in the news agesssssss ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)