more raw and scaling (1 Viewer)

VanCarBus

~--> Quincy <--~
HSC
I thought that this year's questions were alrighte. The easiest being the ellpise one where we had ta find eccentricity, foci, directrices.
I calculated my RAW mark to be about 68/120....
Is that bad? I heard you only get scaled like not much.
I heard that 72% raw only =s 84% scaled.
How do you ppl know that if u get like 60s you get like 90+ scaled?

enak

Limbo
HSC
N/A
It varies every year, but it's just an estimation, we can't accurately tell which mark will be equivalent of the aligned and scaled mark.

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
wot r u talking about, van!!?? look, in the 2002 paper, if u got somewhere around 60-65/120, u would have got a scaled mark of 87%. so dat means, (by rough estimation) if u got around 72/120 u should have got above 90%. and i reckon dis year's was much harder than last years, so (hopefully) it'll get scaled up more. :)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by AK Gumbi
wot r u talking about, van!!?? look, in the 2002 paper, if u got somewhere around 60-65/120, u would have got a scaled mark of 87%. so dat means, (by rough estimation) if u got around 72/120 u should have got above 90%. and i reckon dis year's was much harder than last years, so (hopefully) it'll get scaled up more. :)
ru sure about these stats were the case for 2002? if so i have hope for 90+ with my 62/120 mark.:D

numg

HSC
How bout this theory....

4U ppl will kill the 3U ppl in Ext 1, 3U will kill the 2U ppl in their paper.... 2U paper killed everyone therefore the 2U ppl will get alot of scaling, therefore 3U will get alot of scaling....and hence 4U will scale well :p

whatever the reason... *fingers crossed*

nerdd

haha wooooo
i knew there was a good reason to keep 4 u lol.
so 80s raw will go up to 100? :D haha 97.. 98.. 99? ohhhhh pleaseee!!!!!!! *begging on hands and knees*

gronkboyslim

HSC
AK Guimbi, you mean scaled to 87% exam mark, not including the internal mark right

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by enak
It varies every year, but it's just an estimation, we can't accurately tell which mark will be equivalent of the aligned and scaled mark.
yeah but u can always make a good prediction by lookin' at the mean of a past paper with similiar "hardness". :)

so anyways, was that 92 a prediction for me? :D i.e what will i get from 62/120 raw mark? :)

smeyo

yeah im hoping for 80-90/120, roughly what will that scale up to

and does anyone know what the normal cut off has been for elective band 4 from past papers.

thanks

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by smeyo
yeah im hoping for 80-90/120, roughly what will that scale up to

and does anyone know what the normal cut off has been for elective band 4 from past papers.

thanks
ur lookin' at around 97, since this was a hard paper. :)

smeyo

cool, thats heaps more than i ever expected cause i was never sure exactly how scaled it was, specially i was the only one at my school doing 4unit.

toknblackguy

HSC
oh well
i think i'm etting about 90/120 raw
hope it gets scaled up good, cause it needs to count as 2 of my units!
otherwise english and chem will kill me!!

N

ND

I think some people may be confused between aligning and scaling. The aligned marks are the marks you get from BOS, the scaled marks are what contributes to your UAI (you don't know what this is).

i.e. Raw - 70/120
Aligned - 91
Scaled - 94

Please only use the % symbol when talking about raw marks.

note: these are not accurate figures, i made them up for the purpose of teh explanation.

N

ND

Originally posted by underthesun
just for comparison, 87 english standard aligned = 95 scaled :p
Wtf? How does that work? and why wasn't i doing standard english?

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Well because 87 for std english would put you at the top of the state probably. Hence the scaled mark of 95. 90 for 4u would only put you in the top...err..I think it was 40% in 2001.

Make sense?

N

ND

Then why wouldn't someone who would get 90 in adv just do standard, top the state, and get a scaled mark of like 98?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by ND
Then why wouldn't someone who would get 90 in adv just do standard, top the state, and get a scaled mark of like 98?
well thats what my teacher careers advisor told me...but i just chose adv. coz my friends were doin' it and also that i'm shit, and i couldn't top standard english anyway. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)