More posts about performance poetry!! (1 Viewer)

steffo

steph
HSC
cruel intellect said:
DRAMA.... hmmmmm yeah, i can def see how drama students should have the performance side of this unit down, however i also think if you can manipulate the recording side of things well you'd also help your performance.
peace
very true. im actually having a fair bit of difficulty trying to edit my sound and use recording programs coz im technically retarded (not like TECHNICALLY retarded, as in im actually retarded, but as in technologically...bad choice of words.... im rambling now...) even though ive got performance aspects down pat. yeh i will be seeking outside assistance from tech heads for the editing and sound stuff.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
cooledit pro is probably among the best editing tools to use for that sort of thing, although i guess it is hard to find really good recording equipment outside of school. if your school doesnt have a mixing board or anything, you could try a local radio station, their equipment is always at commercial standard, which is very good, but i know what you mean, it can take some time to get used to

cruel intellect

HSC
black_man said:
cooledit pro is probably among the best editing tools to use for that sort of thing, although i guess it is hard to find really good recording equipment outside of school. if your school doesnt have a mixing board or anything, you could try a local radio station, their equipment is always at commercial standard, which is very good, but i know what you mean, it can take some time to get used to
Yeah, my school doesnt have very good recording equipment at all... thankfully my sister is in the sound industry and has all the stuff i require and the know how to help me edit.
peace nm

steffo

steph
HSC
cruel intellect said:
Yeah, my school doesnt have very good recording equipment at all... thankfully my sister is in the sound industry and has all the stuff i require and the know how to help me edit.
peace nm
it's good to have connections. i've just realised i have a friend who is a dj and has a squillion reocrding supplies so im going down that avenue. hes also a muso which helps coz i wanted to put music in my MW and have it composed especailly for the writing so it would fit right.
im finished writing everything now- just putting it together, as well as my reflection statement which is POOPIES GALORE!!! and is just very hard indeed. concept is so wavering. it'll work out. we need a draft R.S. for my next assessment though. it's a challenge aliright.

cruel intellect

HSC
steffo said:
it's good to have connections. i've just realised i have a friend who is a dj and has a squillion reocrding supplies so im going down that avenue. hes also a muso which helps coz i wanted to put music in my MW and have it composed especailly for the writing so it would fit right.
im finished writing everything now- just putting it together, as well as my reflection statement which is POOPIES GALORE!!! and is just very hard indeed. concept is so wavering. it'll work out. we need a draft R.S. for my next assessment though. it's a challenge aliright.
are you having music the whole way through your performance? what were you thinking of doing?

steffo

steph
HSC
cruel intellect said:
are you having music the whole way through your performance? what were you thinking of doing?

no i doubt if it will be the whole way through. but i'm just going to have a bit of a jam and see what happens this weekend. maybe we will find some sort of musical motif that could carry through the whole MW, perhaps just different samples or riffs for different poems that i want music for.
i think it will be more effective if i only hav music in some sections. i think music through the whole thing would be annoying and detrimental to the overall effect of my writing.
so yeh i havent made any definaite decisions about music in my MW, but i know that it has a really important role in lots of works i've listened to and seen live. it just adds something special- i'm someone who feels a lot through music so i guess it is particularly important to me.

cruel intellect

HSC
steffo said:
no i doubt if it will be the whole way through. but i'm just going to have a bit of a jam and see what happens this weekend. maybe we will find some sort of musical motif that could carry through the whole MW, perhaps just different samples or riffs for different poems that i want music for.
i think it will be more effective if i only hav music in some sections. i think music through the whole thing would be annoying and detrimental to the overall effect of my writing.
so yeh i havent made any definaite decisions about music in my MW, but i know that it has a really important role in lots of works i've listened to and seen live. it just adds something special- i'm someone who feels a lot through music so i guess it is particularly important to me.
what instruments will you be using?

Last edited:

steffo

steph
HSC
cruel intellect said:
what instruments will you be using?
i sing, and my friend plays guitar, bass, piano, everything and anything. he's also a dj and i want to put some samply kinda tracks in, from old music, new music, different genres. my MW is really...kinda ambiguous and eclectic, so i'll try and reflect that in the soundscapes. it might not all be music either. maybe soundscapes with just breathing, sound effects, blahblah.

phatchance

HSC
Well, I just finished my performance poetry; it ended up a poetic critique of Western political ideologies with a particular focus upon the medias influence on international affairs.

Basically it was a hip-hop styled performance over instrumentals, 9:33 run time four instrumentals and poetry sections in total, the first was an introduction to the allegory landscape the poem took place, it used a lot of imagery and introduced the four protagonists, three children (one a bully who represents the US, one a wimp who represents the Australian govt. and in turn the other 'colonial' satelites of Americanisation and then a sickly child who was the consumers. The media was portrayed as a child predator, however to avoid the bluntness I wove a theme through it that he was creating the music I was rhyming over, and that he was creating it by plucking marrionette strings attached to the children. The first instrumental was softer, the second instrumental was more groovy. The third section was the media talking about his role (all of the sections were the personified protagonists talking about their role, basically making a lot of political references to history and the like) I put it over a different beat and used a chorus

"now it's a liberty; to have a freedom of speech
and it's a liberty; to have a freedom of press
but what happens, when those freedoms you preach
are exactly the freedoms, that leave you oppressed"

and then basically critiqued media outlets like fox news, and moguls like Rupert Murdoch for their actions and the resulting manipulation of government and brainwashing of consumers etc.

The final beat was the same beat as the first one, basically the first and fourth sections only existed to introduce technical aspects of performance poetry into the piece and link it to the AOS module, it tied back in and basically was antonymous to the first verse which had negative connotations and explained why the children were where they were.

I was really unhappy with my last line, it was written in a hurry and I thought didn't fit the theme properly, but other than that I thought the piece worked out pretty well.

Unfortunately for me I changed medium at the last minute (within the last 2 weeks) I'm an MC and I have a recording setup and study economics etc. so I'd already done a years worth of research, but informally, the teachers couldn't sign me out on the sheet saying that they'd overseen the years worth of research (that was the point they put on the sheet) I'm wondering what impact this will have on my result? Do you think there is a likely hood of me getting 0? I dictated that I'd changed medium in the reflection statement and retained the progress of both projects but I'm really worried that I will get the red cross at marking.

steffo

steph
HSC
phatchance said:
Unfortunately for me I changed medium at the last minute (within the last 2 weeks) I'm an MC and I have a recording setup and study economics etc. so I'd already done a years worth of research, but informally, the teachers couldn't sign me out on the sheet saying that they'd overseen the years worth of research (that was the point they put on the sheet) I'm wondering what impact this will have on my result? Do you think there is a likely hood of me getting 0? I dictated that I'd changed medium in the reflection statement and retained the progress of both projects but I'm really worried that I will get the red cross at marking.
your MW sounds really interesting. well done all up!
but that sucks so much about your teacher not signing to say it's your work. i don't know what it'll mean. perhaps the markers will look through your journal thoroughly. but if your teachers couldnt see evidence of research in that then i dont see how markers could.
well anyway, be proud of what you have created, because it sounds very intriguing and i'd love to listen to it. don't get fretful about the details.

minstrel

HSC
hey you can hardly hear the words saul is saying!!
this annoys me in the way that bob dylan pissed off all the folkies when he went electric!
(then again does this saul guy expect his listeners to sit down with a copy of the words in his hand?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)