More posts about performance poetry!! (1 Viewer)

steffo

steph
HSC
i do believe there isn't enough chatter regarding performance poetry.
please if anyone has chosen this medium, what topics/themes are you exploring? have you found any inspiration from any performer/poet in particular?

i really would love to hear more about other people doing this medium. im the only one in my school and my teacher has no clue. im a little bit scared.
excited and scared.

phatic

HSC
Just to clarify, what exactly is performance poetry, and how does it differ from normal poetry? It can't be as self explanatory as it sounds. Or perhaps I'm an idiot. :D

steffo

steph
HSC
phatic said:
Just to clarify, what exactly is performance poetry, and how does it differ from normal poetry? It can't be as self explanatory as it sounds. Or perhaps I'm an idiot. :D
it kinda is as self-explanatory as it sounds.
basically, it is an audio medium, presented like a radio play or speech. ten minute limit (i think? i probably should know that...), and it contains elements of your egular poetry and performance. its spoken word poetry basically. you can use music or sound effects etc.
its like poetry, but its very different too. you need a different approach and awareness to what you would need if u were just writing poetry. its for perfroming, to an audience. its hard because its only audio for the HSC, because it is also a visual medium.

i am only just grasping the possibilities. it seems pretty broad and diverse. the past years' outstanding works in performance poetry (from the books) contained one piece which was sort of narrative-like, it was based on a myth or something, and told a story, and the other one was like a series of poems, set in a toilet, it was more free verse.

cruel intellect

HSC
hey... im doing performace poetry too!

its such a shame i didnt come on this forum before, now that its half way through the hsc year...
anyway, i am doing perf. i went to the ETA poetry workshop at Newtown {when was it...? sometime towards the end of last month?}... did anyone else thats on here go? i know there were a couple of people doing perf. poetry in that workshop.
what are you using to record?

peace...NM

steffo

steph
HSC
cruel intellect said:
its such a shame i didnt come on this forum before, now that its half way through the hsc year...
anyway, i am doing perf. i went to the ETA poetry workshop at Newtown {when was it...? sometime towards the end of last month?}... did anyone else thats on here go? i know there were a couple of people doing perf. poetry in that workshop.
what are you using to record?

peace...NM
i didnt go to any workshops- didnt think they would be that helpful in this medium. was it at all helpful?
so far, during drafts and editing, i'm just using a recording element in my digital camera to start mixing poems with sounds and music and working out how to piece them all together, but i'm intending on using my schoo's recording equipment, or some that a friend has.
most schools have recording equipment either in music rooms. apparently we have recording stuff in our school hall, where the PA and everything is. im not sure. investigate within your school though. otherwise you can book pro studios for a day or two (or however long) but that costs. you can usually hire someone to help you record too (dont know how far this is allowed according to BOS though??) and you can set up in your home or garage or something- that's how alot of amateur bands get recordings done. it's good to investigate your resources in your school and family and friends- see how much u can get for free. paying for stuff stinks.

keep posting- it's good to hear how others are going.
:)

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
i'm not sure how useful it might be, but it might be worth looking into performance poetry with MC's and other things like that. maybe look into pioneers like Scott Heron, curtis mayfield (i think he's a poet) or maybe even guys like the beastie boys. i think i might have already put the site up here, but Saul Williams is another very good performance poet / musician / actor, his site is at www.saulwilliams.com, you can also download some of his work over the p2p networks. you could also look for the spoken word album from Jim Morrison (of The Doors), his album 'An American Prayer' is a performance poetry album with music and sound effects aswell. look for his lyrics to the album on lyrics sites

steffo

steph
HSC
black_man said:
i'm not sure how useful it might be, but it might be worth looking into performance poetry with MC's and other things like that. maybe look into pioneers like Scott Heron, curtis mayfield (i think he's a poet) or maybe even guys like the beastie boys. i think i might have already put the site up here, but Saul Williams is another very good performance poet / musician / actor, his site is at www.saulwilliams.com, you can also download some of his work over the p2p networks. you could also look for the spoken word album from Jim Morrison (of The Doors), his album 'An American Prayer' is a performance poetry album with music and sound effects aswell. look for his lyrics to the album on lyrics sites

hey thanks. some good leads. most helpful. appreciated. :)

cruel intellect

HSC
workshops

i went to the poetry workshop, which i thought was useful... just in regards to seeing what the markers like in the journal, the process etc...
i am using an mp3 recorder and editing program to record...
peace NM

steffo

steph
HSC
cruel intellect said:
i am using an mp3 recorder and editing program to record...
peace NM
what editing program? is it bought or downloaded?
i dont want to buy anything. im looking for an editing program thats pretty easy to use- the one i downloaded online is really complex, and i have no idea.

cruel intellect

HSC
editing programs

hey, sorry for lateness of reply post...
I am using Pro Tools, as my sister has it on her mac.
how were you planning to record anyway? as its quite simple just to record straight onto one's computer, and cut and past, then burn onto a cd... also using a 4 track or less tape recorder works just as well.
peace

dark*sparkle

Fabulous Member
HSC
hey cruel intellect i was there at the workshop as well... maybe you were the one i spoke to...
my god i havent even thought of recording yet, i'm still struggling to finish the stupid thing. does anyone know if the piece can be less than ten minutes, around ten minutes... whats the go with the time limitations?

steffo

steph
HSC
dark*sparkle said:
hey cruel intellect i was there at the workshop as well... maybe you were the one i spoke to...
my god i havent even thought of recording yet, i'm still struggling to finish the stupid thing. does anyone know if the piece can be less than ten minutes, around ten minutes... whats the go with the time limitations?
i'm sorta thinking it is 8-10 minutes? i THINK. but um you can go to the board of studies site and actually contact someone from there. they get back to you really quickly.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/aa_main/contact.html

good lucky dude. submission date is fast aproaching.

dark*sparkle

Fabulous Member
HSC
hmmmm i know. i have this thing in my head that its going to be all good, but i know i'll be shitting myself when it gets closer. how are you going in yours?

steffo

steph
HSC
dark*sparkle said:
hmmmm i know. i have this thing in my head that its going to be all good, but i know i'll be shitting myself when it gets closer. how are you going in yours?
im going pretty well actually. im really enjoying the medium, like HEAPS, and have been having fun working my way through everything. it has been a big learning curve, and i'm discovering a lot about my writing style and MYSELF (how deep, i know).
but yeh i think it will turn out pretty good.
i've seen a lot of performances and found some good online links to watch and ehar real poets, and that has been really inspiring.
basically, ive been acing myinternal assessments, and have enjoyed the ride, so im just trying to put together the best things i can right now.

cruel intellect

HSC
dark*sparkle said:
hey yeah i dont remember, if it helps i was wearing an old army button up shirt with a john butler trio patch, and i had my stripey do rag on {i have v. curly brown hair}...
but im certain the time limit is 8-10 mins exactly... did you think the poetry workshop was benificial? i thought the lecture of the RS was good.
peace

dark*sparkle

Fabulous Member
HSC
cruel intellect said:
hey yeah i dont remember, if it helps i was wearing an old army button up shirt with a john butler trio patch, and i had my stripey do rag on {i have v. curly brown hair}...
but im certain the time limit is 8-10 mins exactly... did you think the poetry workshop was benificial? i thought the lecture of the RS was good.
peace
the poetry workshop was ok, not so much for us performance people tho. the lectures were good but i haven't put anything anyone has said into action yet (prob coz i wasn't listening - in one ear, out the other).
all of u guys in this thread seem like youve got it together. i think its time to start worrying...
has anyone actually begun recording yet?

steffo

steph
HSC
yeh i started recording a while ago, just bits and pieces at first because i thought i should just START so it didnt seem so intimidating.
i think that's a big issue- feeling intimidated by the whole process and a daunting outcome... it's hard, but once you get started i think it's relaly enjoyable. just taking the first big step is hard sometimes!

i've been writing for a while, and i havent had too much feedback from others, so im getting as much as i can now, and i've also been recording each section, refining, editing myself, and thinking about the performance aspect of it alot- they really focus on that when marking, ie. changes in tone, volume pitch, not just a reading of writing on the page, but a true performance of your work. if you don't do drama i think it is good to get some feedback from a drama teacher or drama-ey friends on how to perform it, and if you are, then use your skills!!

i'm a drama fiend so i've found that background really helpful.
keep in touch guys!! i like hearing back from you all!

cruel intellect

HSC
recording

no, its okay, i havent started recording yet either... there was the problem about Pro tools and writing some music which is almost finished now... i will be recording pretty soon though.
peace

dark*sparkle

Fabulous Member
HSC
thats a good idea about drama steffo... never thought of that till now.
yeah this thread is good, keeps me motivated
whatever happened to the old one, stef???

cruel intellect

HSC
DRAMA.... hmmmmm yeah, i can def see how drama students should have the performance side of this unit down, however i also think if you can manipulate the recording side of things well you'd also help your performance.
peace

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)