MORE concern regarding BA! (1 Viewer)

mr_robato

HSC
Guys,

More concern here on my end.

Here's the issue..>

I am after either one of the following courses (ALL from UWS/ this is the order I currently intend on sending to the UAC once those applications open in 10-14 days from now.

1. B Arts + B Law (combined 5 year program)
2. B Intl Studies (Parramatta)
3. B Intl Studies (Bankstown)
4. B Arts (Asian studies and Intl relations) (Parramatta)
5. B Arts (Asian studies and Intl relations) (Penrith)
6. B Arts (global studies) (Parramatta)
7. B Arts (global studies) (Bankstown)
8. B Arts (Hist, politics, philosophy) (Penrith)
9. B Arts (Islamic studies) (Bankstown)

>Preferences 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 have the SAME MAJOR (But various ATAR cut-offs.
>The BA (Global Studies) seems to be a carbon copy of B Intl Studies except it has a "BA" in front.

I am worried that:

THAT, I might be applying for the SAME SEAT seven times on this list of preferences which is supposed to mean.....HEAPS. I know I won't get the ATAR required to get into better universities (UTS/USYD/UNSW/ANU/Maq), hence the all out UWS on the preference list.

A little clarification and advise would be great. I'll e-mail a copy of this post to UAC on wed when my internet seed/download-limit is back to good. This website works just fine even with the net capped.

Cheers,
Robato

Last edited:

Lara1986

HSC
1. B Arts + B Law (combined 5 year program)
2. B Intl Studies (Parramatta)
3. B Intl Studies (Bankstown)
4. B Arts (Asian studies and Intl relations) (Parramatta)
5. B Arts (Asian studies and Intl relations) (Penrith)
6. B Arts (global studies) (Parramatta)
7. B Arts (global studies) (Bankstown)
8. B Arts (Hist, politics, philosophy) (Penrith)
9. B Arts (Islamic studies) (Bankstown)

>Preferences 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 have the SAME MAJOR (But various ATAR cut-offs.
>The BA (Global Studies) seems to be a carbon copy of B Intl Studies except it has a "BA" in front.

I am worried that:

THAT, I might be applying for the SAME SEAT seven times on this list of preferences which is supposed to mean.....HEAPS. I know I won't get the ATAR required to get into better universities (UTS/USYD/UNSW/ANU/Maq), hence the all out UWS on the preference list.
As far as applying for the 'same seat' - you won't be.

Different campuses have different cut offs, so you aren't applying for the same seat as getting in Parra for example, won't give you a right to just attend Campbelltown.

As far as the degrees appearing the same - many different degrees share many common units. So if that's the area you really want to study, applying the way you have is probably a good idea as it will give you as many opportunities as possible to gain access to one of them.

So don't be concerned that you are 'wasting' preferences that appear to be doubling up on the same thing as it seems you are not.

But if you want to be double sure, check with the uni and not just UAC. UAC themselves don't know the precise details that the course involves, so if you are concerned that degrees appear to mirror one another check with the uni as they are better able to give you more specific info.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
When I applied for my BA (Psychology), you just applied for the BA at different campuses, not the major and the major was determined when you enrolled. But it may have changed since I started...check with the uni on Open Day?

mr_robato

HSC
When I applied for my BA (Psychology), you just applied for the BA at different campuses, not the major and the major was determined when you enrolled. But it may have changed since I started...check with the uni on Open Day?

Hay!

Nice one. Thanks for the heads-up on that (the application and the open day). I'm def attending on the 30th of Aug!

Cheers
Robato

HSC
Are the course codes the same? If so then you are applying for the same courses

mr_robato

HSC
Are the course codes the same? If so then you are applying for the same courses

No they're not. Here's another clarification about my concern:

The following courses literally mirror the BA (Major: Asian Studies and International Relations)

>B Intl STudies (Major: Asian Studies and International Relations) x 2 locations
>BA Global Studies (Major not specified but it mirrors Intl Studies which mirrors that BA in ASIR) x 2 locations

I totally see your point regarding the course code angle.

Can't wait for Wed when my net is back to optimum so I can e-mail UAC. I'll call UWS rather than emailing, their contact feature confuses me.

Cheers
Robato

DTFM

HSC
Not many people do Asian Studies so it doesn't really matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)