Monopoly (1 Viewer)

spartan31234

HSC
Do you think the government should intervene and prevent a monopoly form occurring?

For example in one planet ( in the halo universe) there was a very industrial mining planet. The mining cooperation being very rich started creating their own shops and would operate at a loss. Naturally all independent completion was wiped out, so essentially you were paid by the company and you bought everything from the company. Chances were you took out loan as well from the company.

For a while times are good, but then cost of living starts while you pay stays the same, soon you an thousands of other people are in debt are just struggling to survive. You can't really strike as they can easily replace you. The company is so rich they have installed a puppet government (local)

Should the UNSC colonial administration intervene, or is the workers fault as they ultimately chose to after all to go for the lowest price.
Can are their actions comparable to the minning company greed?

I think the consumer has some responsibility to stop monopolies...hmm perhaps i should have a look at linux...

Last edited:

JonathanM

Antagonist
HSC
For example in one planet ( in the halo universe) there was a very industrial mining planet.
lol.

There is already legislation in place to protect against the monopolisation of most business sectors in Australia.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Should the UNSC colonial administration intervene, or is the workers fault as they ultimately their choice to after all to go for the lowest.
Can are their actions comparable to the minning company greed?

Dude, cmon.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
My opinion depends on the situation. In a monopoly, the company is so large that economies of scale work in their favour, and the benefits can be passed on the consumer. Alternatively, because they are the monopoly, they can artificially raise their prices because there is no dominate competition. So I'm divided really.

spartan31234

HSC
yea this is why the threads in light and off beat News as its from the Halo Universe

But i think the moral to this story is that consumers have some responsinility when choosing goods and services.

Their many other examples

Could one buy a product that was probably produced cheaply due to slavery over fair trade goods and then complain about slavery?

Personally i reckon both are in the wrong

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)