Monologues online??? (1 Viewer)

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
I have to advise that if you get a monologue from online, please be careful with it, cause there are some REALLY shit ones out there. A lot of people use them as a last minute thing and the examiners like to see originality...and pieces they haven't seen before.

After the end of my exams, I might set up a little resource thing cause I've got over 150monologues (mainly for women) in books. All of which are adapted or taken from plays.

Just wait til after 10th nov... :)

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
:uhhuh: I completely agree with Skillo. I didn't do performance, so I don't know for sure, BUT, there are some pretty great shops in the city and in glebe which have heaps of fantastic monologue books. Check out the yellow pages (or is it the white?) for these shops, coz they'll have monlogues ten times better than the ones on the net.

Edited: by the "city" and "glebe" i mean in Sydney :p

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
Around this time last year, I think, there was a similar thread. Its much better to work with dialogue from a play, or use one from a monologue book - and even then you should read the entire play to contextualise and build upon your piece. In that thread we discussed a very good performance bookshop ( i think its called Performing Arts Bookshop??) near Town hall... look it up, its very, very useful, but only open on Saturdays I think? Anyway, good luck to u

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
yeah thanks guys, i did actually try and find that "Performing Arts Bookshop" but i rekon the directions i got from the dymoks lady we're dodgy, and no one in the street would help me!

Basicly, im just looking for insperation...im thinking of adopting a monologue from hitchhikers guide to the galaxy or something by douglus adams, perhaps 'long dark tea time of the sole" take the character of dirk gently...anyone familiar?

but yeah, again, thanks.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
A friend of mine adapted part of Great Expectations, which was pretty good. Try not to make it up yourself though, people who do nearly always fail dismally :(

V

val_dramaqueen

well... you can always use part of a movie/play that you already know and enjoy. I did that for year 11 and 12. year 1 i got my monologue from a musical and... wait... i did that for year 12 too...
so, you know, there's heaps of options :D

kalinda

HSC
Egronk said:
yeah thanks guys, i did actually try and find that "Performing Arts Bookshop" but i rekon the directions i got from the dymoks lady we're dodgy, and no one in the street would help me!

Basicly, im just looking for insperation...im thinking of adopting a monologue from hitchhikers guide to the galaxy or something by douglus adams, perhaps 'long dark tea time of the sole" take the character of dirk gently...anyone familiar?

but yeah, again, thanks.

lol it is a really hard place to find - all i can remember now is that it had a green door and on top of a performance space.

katy12345

if you are a big reader just think back to books u have read that have a really memorable character. then find the big, re-read, highlight and write all over it. then get a collaboration of scenes. you need to add your own action. its hard work, but rewarding and will earn u better marks than a mono the judges have seen a hundred times before.

Bunts

HSC
Some monologues that are really good are the Talking Heads series by Alan Bennet. They are basically half hour monologues, which is good because you can cut out all the boring tedious stuff and just keep the good stuff. Each book has 6 monologues and the books cost 20 bucks each from the performing arts bookshop. Most of them are for chicks though, thats the only downside to them.

The Perfroming Arts bookshop is:
Level Three
262 Pitt Street
Sydney CBD
9267 2257
It's just above the Pilgrim Theater, theres an open green door that leads to an elevator. Pitt Street is one street east of George street, get off at town hall station.

ti_amo_anthony

HSC
i found that all the monologues that i looked at on the net were either really crappy or way too short... dno y i always have a hard tym tryin 2 fynd monos...

V

val_dramaqueen

its always hard to find a monologue... but as soon as you find one, you'll know then and there that its made for you.. if your better with comedy's.. search up on comedy plays or movies
same with dramatics.. it all depends on you..

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
I like the character of Chance Wayne in "sweet bird of youth" perhaps I'll use that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)