mono/homo/poly/hetero PHONICS (1 Viewer)

guy

HSC
dont think i've gone through yr11 and 12 and not learnt these, but i'm not really sure when it comes to exam time and i dont have any definitions. heh

mono - one melody on its own
homo - more melodies in unison
poly - more melodies simultaneously
hetero - one melody accompaniment?

Correct away :( :)

Last edited:

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
hmm, well-
monophonic: a single melodic line by itself, can be several voices in unison. (1 layer)
homophonic: a melodic line with an accompaniment (2 layers)
polyphonic: several layers
heterophonic: when there are 2 parts that kinda double each other but one part has ornamentations and extra notes.

and then you can describe the texture as being thick/thin (not technically correct but yea), and describe what each layer sounds like and how they work together/contrast. make sure you learn heaps of texture adjectives.

tash

lalalala
HSC
oh i hate those thing sooooooooooooo much i get really confused between poly and homoponic. but as our class motto goes 'if in doubt say it's homophonic'

chip

HSC
homophonic is a single melody with an accompainment usually just a chordal accompaiment

Juliet

HSC
yeah, heterophonic does not really come up much at all, but it is interesting to hear! hehehe :)

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
haha,

I do music 3unit and still I have no clue of the actual definitions of those terms.

tash

lalalala
HSC
i think it would be helpful if they acutally made us listen to examples of each (except maybe monophony cos that's easy) so we know what they acutally sound like

chip

HSC
its not that hard to understand whether there is more than one melody or just one
plus chords sound like chords so thats not that hard either
(didnt mean to sound rude if i did)
i didnt think there was such thing as hetero

guy

HSC
Originally posted by gloria*
haha,

I do music 3unit and still I have no clue of the actual definitions of those terms.
do you do it by corrospondance? is it hard?

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
Nono, my school runs the 3unit course (GRC Oatley). There are three of us doing it-- one doing each elective. Our teacher sees us about once every fortnight + generally in Music 2 classes.

I do the Musicology elective (3000 word essay) and it's time consuming but generally pretty simple. Read, paraphrase, write. Add score. Paraphrase more, etc. heh.

I imagine composition would be the hardest elective; a friend of mine does it and it seems really difficult.

You do Music 2?

Last edited:

guy

HSC
haha
nah
one kid at our school does music2 and thats the one kid that does composition. there are about 13 of us doing music1
we had this kid two years ago that did 3unit by correspondance, and he went shit. mmm
what insrument do you play?

chip

HSC
hey for those doing composition where are you recoding?

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by guy

what insrument do you play?
I'm a pianogirl, but I'm also a vocalist ---

I've actually been thinking about ditching piano completely and just singing for the HSC- I'm too lazy to be bothered learning something technical and difficult and then pretending to enjoy it. Ughghgh.

You play guitar?

guy

HSC
yahhh but dont judge me by it! im not a spend 15 minutes a fortnight playing blink182 sorta guitarist...
i used to play piano tho, did you know this crazy rich guy in africa took apart a grandpiano and slowly ate it?

gloria*

skin graft
HSC
N/A
hahah yeah it's fucked.

(that's why Guy stopped playing, the temptation to eat the piano became too great :D)

oh dear. heh.

guy

HSC
nah my teacher moved away
although the very first micky mouse cartoon does make wood look rather appetising...

guy

HSC
hahahahahhaa
did i tell you bout the kid who plays satriani and stares at you while he does it?? its freaky
and we have a bassist who only can play ready one by grinspoon hahaha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)