Money during uni (1 Viewer)

zb123

HSC
On average, how much do you earn and spend a week during uni. Earnings can be from allowance, work, scholarships etc

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Before i quit my job a month or so due to my asshole new boss i was earning maybe $560 a week during semester. Would try to put away at least $150-$200 every week for savings and the rest would go on rent, food, other crap i didn't really need.

michaeljennings

HSC
Earning: $800 per week (job/scholarship)
Spending: $300 per week (Rent/food/alcohol/going out/travel expenses)

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
my income changes a fair amount week to week because I work 2 casual jobs which are fairly season so I might work 4 days a week during the hols and then only 1 day a week during sem time.

I can survive on $35/week if I'm only paying for public transport and a couple of coffees, but realistically I probably spend $70/week on average.

zb123

HSC
What jobs did you have that paid so much+ how many hours a week?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
What jobs did you have that paid so much+ how many hours a week?
Retail sales assistant, roughly 25 hours a week, sometimes more. Keep in mind that i'm over 21 and received Saturday/Sunday loading (probably made the majority of my pay on Sundays).

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Retail sales assistant, roughly 25 hours a week, sometimes more. Keep in mind that i'm over 21 and received Saturday/Sunday loading (probably made the majority of my pay on Sundays).
Is 25 hrs a week manageable when going to uni full time? How do you find it?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
It's manageable if you're in a degree with low contact hours (commerce for example). You'll have an obscene amount of studying time compared to what you spend in class.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Is 25 hrs a week manageable when going to uni full time? How do you find it?
Yes, but you're either at work, at uni, or studying your ass off at home, which kind of destroys your soul.

Also, as per above, i have fairly low contact hours and only have to go in to uni two or three days a week.

Last edited:

zb123

HSC
With retail jobs, how much is the average earnings? Is it more suitable than tutoring (agency/ private) as there are chances of promotions early etc? Or would you recommend sticking with tuition, since it's lower hours, more than likely more pay as well.

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
During semester I work 17 hours a week and earn about 380 but it could be more if i cover a shift for someone.
Rent is 140, I automatically put $150 into a savings account and spend whatever is left on whatever i want (i.e. food and train tickets)

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
that is ridic cheap rent. i wish you could get a decent place in syd for that

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
My house is sick btw

i rode my bike to a pub in "newcastle" newcastle (even though my area of newcastle is legit better) and it took <5 minutes lol YES i love this city.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)