monash or melbourne uni? (1 Viewer)

veinslay

HSC
Hi,

I'm currently confused whether to choose monash or melbourne uni when I finish year 12

Currently, monash offers the undergraduate medicine course (5years)
while melbourne uni is moving to a new melbourne model which require you to take 3 years undergraduate course before going to the graduate medicine course, so total will be 7 years

so my question is, is it really worth it to take the melbourne new model? Will it benefit me later?

advices r welcomed ;)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
There won't be a difference whether you graduate with a medicine degree from Monash or UMelb, but I agree, go Monash.

If you are 100% sure you want a career in med and that's the only thing that makes you happy, then there's no reason to hold you back from getting into the undergraduate degree of your choice asap.

so my question is, is it really worth it to take the melbourne new model? Will it benefit me later?
The benefit you'll get out of it is an undergraduate degree and an exposure to things in life other than just medicine. Who knows what the future holds, maybe you'll complete med and then after a few years working in a hospital, you find that you're not happy and medicine isn't for you. Maybe you'll realise that you enjoyed studying the undergrad more than medicine, and you'll find that you've got that undergrad degree to fall back on amongst other options in life.

veinslay

HSC
The benefit you'll get out of it is an undergraduate degree and an exposure to things in life other than just medicine.
hmm that's a good point
but I'm seriously considering medicine, so monash it is then

thanks for all your advices ;)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
monash clayton or melbourne parkville.
or Berwick and Gippsland and Caulfield, and Sunway Malaysia, and South Africa.

But the medical degree is taught in the Clayton, Gippsland, and partly the Malaysian campuses.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
If you are keen on medicine go with the bird in the hand.

However, if you have any inclination towards research in the basic (as opposed to clinical) sciences then a solid background in a science may be of some benefit (e.g. pharmacology, physiology, physics, mathematics/statistics). Alternatively, do it if you love it (assorted undergraduate study, that is).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)