monash law externaltransfer (1 Viewer)

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
I'm a little worried by the Melbourne Model, but how many extra students could possibly be applying to Monash because of it? And how much better could their grades be (since transfer to Melbourne is more difficult)?

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
I don't know but I remember reading in The Age late last year about the Melbourne Model that Monash Law received increased undergrad VTAC applications this year.

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
Do you remember how much more it was? And did they specify that there were more Year 12 applicants or just more VTAC applications in general?

Argh scary. Melbourne gets most of its students direct from Year 12 and has less transfers, so the number of people who could be applying for Monash instead can't be TOO high.

Last edited:

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
I've been trying to find that article online, here's one of them:

"Monash vice-chancellor Richard Larkins said it may become harder to win a place in law at Clayton given Melbourne had cut its undergraduate intake.

"There's been quite a marked increase in the percentage of top students choosing Monash and we're confident that will continue, but it's good that there is choice," he said."

The Age Newspaper September 29, 2007

http://www.theage.com.au/news/natio...1190486572963.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Last edited:

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
Well, I've put in preferences for both Arts/Law and straight Law, so that gives me two courses that I might get offers in. I've then put down full-fee law for both of those degrees, and I will pay if I have to and then transfer. My WAM is 76.17 so I'm hopeful that I can get something.

And, he did say may.

Nine more days.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
I'm all for you getting in. I know how it feels to play the waiting game, it's excruciating.

Hiphoppa

HSC
My average for my degree ended up being 73.2. I really hope it'll be enough. Does anyone have a better idea since it's only a few days away?

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
If they don't expect the cut-off for Year 12s to increase, hopefully that means they don't expect any increase in the WAM cut-off for transfers. I have heard of people getting in with 72s.

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
I'M IN, CSP. THANK YOU WORLD.

How about you HipHoppa?

Hiphoppa

HSC
Congrats, I missed out. Hope I have a chance for second round

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
fnkychk said:
^ They use WAMs. GPA is mentioned on the VTAC website, but Monash has never spoken about anything but WAMs.
Why?
because I went to the monash law office with a buddy and asked some questions about external transfers- my friend had a WAM of 74. The receptionist lady asked him for his GPA and after calculating it, she pulled out this paper which was pretty much all the GPAs from highest to lowest on the left, and the corresponding WAMs (or averages) on the right. iirc she calculated he had about 5.5-5.7 gpa and the corresponding WAM on the other side was around 74-75. Just wondering how they would actually calculate that because its different from what we normally see.

rx34

HSC
I'm reviving an old thread, so who is trying for Combined law at monash for 2010?

hotdimsim

HSC
i am, for eng/law. currently doing eng at rmit but would love to pick up law. I'm pretty sure my chances are zero to none though. my enter was 87.1, and did 1st year science there (wanting to do eng) after a year i got excluded from the faculty for poor marks (had no interest in the course/tough year, my gpa < 1) and rmit accepted a transfer to eng (after me begging lol)
now my gpa is around 5.5 at rmit and im hoping to get that to 6 by the end of the year. hopefully i can write a good personal statement that might sway there decision (ie forget my abysmal year at monash and take me on my rmit marks)

rx34

HSC
Yep, I'm trying too for combined law but I would definitely go to USyd over Monash if I was given the offer. My enter is in the 90s, GPA is currently 6.5. With the personal statement, are u referring to the VTAC PI form?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)